Referees/Officials

The other night Silva (playing for Spain) got fouled. An arm across the chest and a shove, not nasty, but a foul never the less.
Referee blew straight away for the foul. I was amazed as the referee, a certain Michael Oliver, had watched Silva get kicked,
pushed and pulled all over against Liverpool.
different ambitions and instructions.

The other night Silva (playing for Spain) got fouled. An arm across the chest and a shove, not nasty, but a foul never the less.
Referee blew straight away for the foul. I was amazed as the referee, a certain Michael Oliver, had watched Silva get kicked,

Not a surprise. Once saw a really good referee in a European game and got the shock of my life when I realised it was Twatenburk.

Very good spot.

I just watched an Australian Rugby League game and one of the refs tried his hardest to deny one team their legitimate tries - kept referring to the video ref for the most innocuous thing - he was over ruled each time by the video ref. He was either biased, shit scared of making a decision or losing the contents of his brown envelope.

I know there's a thread in General on this, but video refereeing was applied in the France v Spain game and two incidents that could have been controversial that were corrected.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39339201

Which on the surface looks great but...
Sadly if introduced in the UK all I can see is it being used as a stick to beat us with because poor decisions in our direction will simply be ignored and not referred.
How can this tinkering be prevented? Which is the subject for this thread.

Last edited:
The first incident decided by the video referee illustrated a point made in the post-Liverpool thread. It was a very tight offside call which made it crucial that the point where the footage was frozen was the exact moment that the ball left the boot of the player making the pass. The frame before and Kurzawa would have been level. How can you be sure? Can you zoom in to spot daylight between boot and ball (just a sliver of daylight)? Will there be an "umpire's call" equivalent when there's just insufficient evidence to over-rule the on-field decision? I can see the interpretation of video evidence being subject to just as much argument as refereeing decisions are anyway (look at the furore over Mings's "stamp")

The first incident decided by the video referee illustrated a point made in the post-Liverpool thread. It was a very tight offside call which made it crucial that the point where the footage was frozen was the exact moment that the ball left the boot of the player making the pass. The frame before and Kurzawa would have been level. How can you be sure? Can you zoom in to spot daylight between boot and ball (just a sliver of daylight)? Will there be an "umpire's call" equivalent when there's just insufficient evidence to over-rule the on-field decision? I can see the interpretation of video evidence being subject to just as much argument as refereeing decisions are anyway (look at the furore over Mings's "stamp")
Excellent point but technically I don't think it's that difficult.
Assuming one frame every 1/25th of a second, the frame daylight between foot and ball can be detected and from the ball material, ball pressure, speed of pass (distance covered in subsequent frames) the frame the foot made contact with the ball can be back calculated. Basically, the faster the pass the more recently contact with the ball was made, so the frame where contact was made can be exactly calculated. At which point it becomes relatively straightforward to know the frame where offside can be calculated for video purposes.
Whether they can be bothered to work out the physics/applied maths behind kicking a football to get an accurate frame calculation is probably the issue.
I would suspect it will lead to Linesmen not raising their flags unless a player is offside by a couple of yards.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.