Referees/Officials

Excellent point but technically I don't think it's that difficult.
Assuming one frame every 1/25th of a second, the frame daylight between foot and ball can be detected and from the speed of pass the frame the foot made contact with the ball can be back calculated. Basically, the faster the pass the more recently contact with the ball was made, so the frame were contact was made can be back calculated. At which point it becomes relatively straightforward know the frame where offside can be calculated for video purposes.
Whether they can be bothered to work out the physics/applied maths behind kicking a football to get an accurate frame calculation is probably the issue.
I would suspect it will lead to Linesmen not raising their flags unless a player is offside by a couple of yards.
Unless you play Tottingham at WHL, when you don't raise your flag at all.

I would suspect it will lead to Linesmen not raising their flags unless a player is offside by a couple of yards.

And that would lead to disaster

Player is offside but the linesman bottles it.
Ball is semi cleared and in the second phase of play a chance is created and the ball goes out for a corner
Goal is scored from the corner

So how far back is the video ref allowed to go?

So how far back is the video ref allowed to go?

I think this is one of the key points that needs clearing up. A marginal offiside on the halfway line leading to a couple of clearances and a piledriver of a goal - do they go back that far?

Then we can move onto whether anyone competent, fair and consistent is assigned as video ref, and whether all angles are provided quickly enough. I have my doubts on that, as there is no evidence that refs are consistent, or that postmatch citing is consistent, so why would video refs be any better?

And we all remember this one. Not how Taylor starts to run towards the incident bringing his whistle to his lips and then changes his mind

Here is the Gundog penalty from the same game

I've just kicked a cat!

Clearest evidence you will ever see of cheating from a ref.

Oliver reffing our match at Leicester is part of bt sport doc on now.

One ref can call a pen for diliberate handball in the 93rd min but another one can't.....

As said previously in this thread, video refs just adds in extra layers of subjectivity. It really isn't the answer.

The "problem" is the piss poor standard of refereeing. The rabid inconsistency. The total lack of accountability.

The answers to that are to employ better refs and make them accountable. PGMOL boss said that refs shouldn't be interviewed after a game until they've seen footage and been able to collect their thoughts. Bollocks. They should just explain what they saw and why they gave a decision.

As said previously in this thread, video refs just adds in extra layers of subjectivity. It really isn't the answer.

The "problem" is the piss poor standard of refereeing. The rabid inconsistency. The total lack of accountability.

The answers to that are to employ better refs and make them accountable. PGMOL boss said that refs shouldn't be interviewed after a game until they've seen footage and been able to collect their thoughts. Bollocks. They should just explain what they saw and why they gave a decision.
Referee's should be made to submit their match reports in triplicate before seeing any TV replay's or discussing the game with anyone else including the other officials. One copy of the report should go to the FA and one copy to each team. This should put a stop to the sneaky b**tards changing their reports to suit Scudamore's agenda.

Excellent point but technically I don't think it's that difficult.
Assuming one frame every 1/25th of a second, the frame daylight between foot and ball can be detected and from the speed of pass the frame the foot made contact with the ball can be back calculated. Basically, the faster the pass the more recently contact with the ball was made, so the frame were contact was made can be back calculated. At which point it becomes relatively straightforward know the frame where offside can be calculated for video purposes.
Whether they can be bothered to work out the physics/applied maths behind kicking a football to get an accurate frame calculation is probably the issue.

It generally has to be a bit more than that when City are down The Lane before Haringey are ruled offside.

Agree entirely about the standards and lack of accountability but disagree on the video ref because it has worked in every other sport.

It has to be done like rugby. Mic the ref up, mic the video ref up and allow the crowd and tv audience to hear the conversations and 99.9% of the time, like rugby the correct decision will be given.

They will kick and scream about being mic'd up as that is their get out and way to still cheat but fuck em. They are professional refs being paid to deliver a professional performance and they will do as they are told or they can fuck off.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.