Rishi Sunak

You're not living in the real world, are you? The public coffers don't pay for people who don't want to work hard. It pays for nurses, doctors, teachers, binmen, council workers...basically any occupation you can think of that actually keep the cogs of society turning. And ironically, occupations that require a lot more hard work than just sitting on your arse and earning more wealth through dividends and interest. Get your head out of the sand.
So the benefits are provided by the magic money tree then. I am fully aware what taxes pay for and I will reiterate that I'm not talking about the super wealthy. Do you think it's right that someone who earns $45k pays 20% and someone who earns £51k pays 40%

So the benefits are provided by the magic money tree then. I am fully aware what taxes pay for and I will reiterate that I'm not talking about the super wealthy. Do you think it's right that someone who earns $45k pays 20% and someone who earns £51k pays 40%
Someone earning £51k only pays a percentage of that at the 40% rate. But you know that

Gotcha now, so all those that work hard and want to make something of themselves or start their own business to provide a bit of better life for themselves and their families need to work even harder so they can pay more tax to swell the public coffers to spend on those that either don't want to work or shouldn't be here in the first place. I'm not referring to the super rich here.

Why are you purely referring to people that don’t want to work or shouldn’t be here? Public services are crumbling for everyone.

Personally I’m in the highest tax bracket and don’t begrudge the amount of tax I pay, in fact I’ve always said I’d be happy to pay more if it meant we had public services for my children to the level I was able to benefit from myself as a child. Just to clarify one thing there too, the idea that working hard directly equates to individual wealth is wrong. I don’t work any harder than people that earn far less than me, not only that, I’m in the situation now where as well as having a decent salary, the wealth itself can do the work and accumulate. The time has long gone where we actually rewarded roles of societal importance financially better than others.

To me the main issue now is I’m working to pass on that wealth to my children in order for them to have things that I was able to take for granted - like having a university education and not being crippled by debt or being able to have a job in my early twenties that allowed me to get on the housing ladder without having to get a huge deposit or a mortgage that meant I couldn’t have a decent quality of living on top.

We’ve completely broken the social contract of what we pass on to the next generation unless they’re lucky enough to be born into generational wealth. Had we not done that, I’d be happily giving far more to fund either better public services or to ensure those that don’t earn much can still have a good life with all of their basic needs covered. That’s what living in a civilised society is supposed to look like.

The concentration of wealth at the top always needs curbing at some point. There’s something very wrong with a model when so much can be concentrated in so few when we have people that are working that can’t afford a decent house or have access to decent public services. It’s just basic compassion to me.

That's a nice idea, here's an idea ask the 1000's who are here illegally who are just a drain on our civilised society to contribute.
No asylum seekers are here illegally. They are waiting for their cases to be heard. Most would love to be working and earning money.

The ones here illegally, no one knows who or where they are, but are tiny in number and can’t claim benefits or healthcare, so are pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

That's a nice idea, here's an idea ask the 1000's who are here illegally who are just a drain on our civilised society to contribute.

Been saying this for years. Asylum seekers should be allowed to work while cases are being heard. Migrants inside and outside the system will already be contributing.

Logically, if you are here illegally, you cannot be a drain because you cannot claim anything. Your only option is to work.

You are halfway there in figuring this out. Just need to take the next logical steps. You can do it, I have faith in you.

No asylum seekers are here illegally. They are waiting for their cases to be heard. Most would love to be working and earning money.

The ones here illegally, no one knows who or where they are, but are tiny in number and can’t claim benefits or healthcare, so are pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.
Amen, great post. This should be a sticky so the same old idiotic remarks stop getting repeated

Been saying this for years. Asylum seekers should be allowed to work while cases are being heard. Migrants inside and outside the system will already be contributing.

Logically, if you are here illegally, you cannot be a drain because you cannot claim anything. Your only option is to work.

You are halfway there in figuring this out. Just need to take the next logical steps. You can do it, I have faith in you.
so by your logic then anyone here illegally has to work but as they are here illegally that would mean that they wouldn't pay tax or NI

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.