Rugby World Cup

I'm still struggling to get the whole not picking players from a foreign league rule. I get the idea that they want a strong domestic league but the amount of money in the English RFU we should have a strong domestic league. Having the best players in the world improves the standard of the league. As long as there is investment at grassroots (which hasn't happened in football) then there will be plenty of English players playing with the best foreign players as well. We've got two world class players who decided to go to France. Yes they get paid more money (and why the hell not), but also, they've improved by playing with and against top opposition week in week out. They may have gone and been benched if they weren't good enough and then come back to England (where they'd have been in the WC squad) an odd rule.

Ireland and Wales both need to win their final games to avoid NZ/SA respectively. If they do that then I think we may finally see Ireland in the latter stages. They've been the best NH team for a while but can be beaten. I do think Australia will take some beating, even if it's NZ they will be playing. There's an extra incentive for the Aussies to win on English soil and they're starting to fire, with a clear gameplan. I hope Wales do what England should have and play the kicking game. In Biggar they can win the game doing that. Avoid too many breakdowns and remove the turnover play that Pocock and Hooper give the Aussies. England had plenty of ball, made plenty of metres but didn't make the right decisions and made too many unforced errors. Wales can definitely beat Australia as long as they don't allow the Aussies to play their game.

I think a franchise style competition between clubs in the six nations could work however, that would take serious forward thinking by someone and it would piss off many of the French and English club sides who wield too much power.

One already exists between Italy, Ireland, Wales and Scotland and the standard is generally poor. Can't ever see France and England getting involved.

One already exists between Italy, Ireland, Wales and Scotland and the standard is generally poor. Can't ever see France and England getting involved.

It wasnt great but the standard now will get better and better in the pro 12 as with the rules on European Champions Cup meaning only 7 teams I think get to compete in it so its a garantee that the best team from Italy , Scotland , Wales and Ireland get there and 3 others so competition there is and will become far greater. Before it used to be used to bring young players into club rugby by teams with there best 15 all competing in the European Champions Cup and if you look at the history it work out well fro the Irish teams with Leinster and Munster all wining titles

I'm still struggling to get the whole not picking players from a foreign league rule. I get the idea that they want a strong domestic league but the amount of money in the English RFU we should have a strong domestic league. Having the best players in the world improves the standard of the league. As long as there is investment at grassroots (which hasn't happened in football) then there will be plenty of English players playing with the best foreign players as well. We've got two world class players who decided to go to France. Yes they get paid more money (and why the hell not), but also, they've improved by playing with and against top opposition week in week out. They may have gone and been benched if they weren't good enough and then come back to England (where they'd have been in the WC squad) an odd rule.

Ireland and Wales both need to win their final games to avoid NZ/SA respectively. If they do that then I think we may finally see Ireland in the latter stages. They've been the best NH team for a while but can be beaten. I do think Australia will take some beating, even if it's NZ they will be playing. There's an extra incentive for the Aussies to win on English soil and they're starting to fire, with a clear gameplan. I hope Wales do what England should have and play the kicking game. In Biggar they can win the game doing that. Avoid too many breakdowns and remove the turnover play that Pocock and Hooper give the Aussies. England had plenty of ball, made plenty of metres but didn't make the right decisions and made too many unforced errors. Wales can definitely beat Australia as long as they don't allow the Aussies to play their game.

I think to be fair over the last 5 years Wales and Ireand have very much competed over who has been the best and being separated only on points difference in the 6 nations and I think if you look at recent results back to the Welsh resurgance a decade ago basically they have pretty much alternated wins ie 6-6 from last 12 3-3 from last 6 1-1 from last 2

I don't think with everyone for much separates these sides and it all depends who does what on the day. Wales are slightly more injury effected now but in really big games in the WC and for the Lions they have the edge on hard nosed experience coaching and player wise

If they play it will be toss of a coin stuff - will be a very big week for Welsh sport.

I hope Wales give Lydiate a rest for playing the Boks and give the Wallabies a taste of their own medicine and hit them with warburton and Tipuric. With hooper and Horne out and I suspect folau rested the Aussies will have lost two of their biggest weapons.

But I don't expect a very intense game , getting battered or having injuries would do more harm than finishing second will

I think to be fair over the last 5 years Wales and Ireand have very much competed over who has been the best and being separated only on points difference in the 6 nations and I think if you look at recent results back to the Welsh resurgance a decade ago basically they have pretty much alternated wins ie 6-6 from last 12 3-3 from last 6 1-1 from last 2

I don't think with everyone for much separates these sides and it all depends who does what on the day. Wales are slightly more injury effected now but in really big games in the WC and for the Lions they have the edge on hard nosed experience coaching and player wise

If they play it will be toss of a coin stuff - will be a very big week for Welsh sport.

I hope Wales give Lydiate a rest for playing the Boks and give the Wallabies a taste of their own medicine and hit them with warburton and Tipuric. With hooper and Horne out and I suspect folau rested the Aussies will have lost two of their biggest weapons.

But I don't expect a very intense game , getting battered or having injuries would do more harm than finishing second will

I completely disagree with your last sentence. Losing to Australia will be a huge mental blow and though you don't want any more injuries, do you really think Wales can't beat Scotland, even with a slightly bruised team? Let's remember Scotland will have quite a physical encounter as well in order to qualify. Whilst I do believe Wales should experiment, I think both teams will want to avoid South Africa. Not only will Scotland be easier, they'll be less physical. Playing South Africa will be a tough game to win, should Wales win it, they'll no doubt be physically spent for their next game. Playing Scotland should be an easier route to the final.

Lots has been said of England's exit. I think our decision making was poor and there were too many unforced errors, largely because our attacking phases seemed to lack any strategy. We made so many metres to then either concede the turnover or knock on. There was an opportunity against Australia to kick across the pitch and try and score, we had advantage and it would have come back for a penalty otherwise which would have given us a chance to go 6-3 up I believe. Instead we played a lot of phases, advantage went and we ended up losing possession. That summarised England up. Wales have been brilliant in their decision making and with Biggar can beat Australia by avoiding too many phases of possession and playing the kicking game. Will be interesting to see how Wales fair against the Australian scrum. England were embarrassed.

I completely disagree with your last sentence. Losing to Australia will be a huge mental blow and though you don't want any more injuries, do you really think Wales can't beat Scotland, even with a slightly bruised team? Let's remember Scotland will have quite a physical encounter as well in order to qualify. Whilst I do believe Wales should experiment, I think both teams will want to avoid South Africa. Not only will Scotland be easier, they'll be less physical. Playing South Africa will be a tough game to win, should Wales win it, they'll no doubt be physically spent for their next game. Playing Scotland should be an easier route to the final.

Lots has been said of England's exit. I think our decision making was poor and there were too many unforced errors, largely because our attacking phases seemed to lack any strategy. We made so many metres to then either concede the turnover or knock on. There was an opportunity against Australia to kick across the pitch and try and score, we had advantage and it would have come back for a penalty otherwise which would have given us a chance to go 6-3 up I believe. Instead we played a lot of phases, advantage went and we ended up losing possession. That summarised England up. Wales have been brilliant in their decision making and with Biggar can beat Australia by avoiding too many phases of possession and playing the kicking game. Will be interesting to see how Wales fair against the Australian scrum. England were embarrassed.

I just want to win the thing and to do so we will need to beat NZ, in my view and it is only this I cannot see the ABs losing a final but I reckon they could be upset (admittedly unlikely by Wales) in the semi final. I also have watched a lot of South Africa in recent years and they are not that good. Wales has beaten them and been within a brain snap of beating them in SA and they have lost a number of times to all the Southern Hemisphere sides. It would be in my view if we want to win the thing to be just as likely going the harder way and having an AB semi than meeting them in the final.

The Aussies will not risk losing Folau for the knock out stages if he isn't 100% and they will not have in hooper their most effective player of the last two years. They are beatable but better we play SA with a fit team than go into the easier half but down warburton, won jones and North or the like - we lack back up at the best of times but at the moment the idea of having to find a centre is quite frightening

I just want to win the thing and to do so we will need to beat NZ, in my view and it is only this I cannot see the ABs losing a final but I reckon they could be upset (admittedly unlikely by Wales) in the semi final. I also have watched a lot of South Africa in recent years and they are not that good. Wales has beaten them and been within a brain snap of beating them in SA and they have lost a number of times to all the Southern Hemisphere sides. It would be in my view if we want to win the thing to be just as likely going the harder way and having an AB semi than meeting them in the final.

The Aussies will not risk losing Folau for the knock out stages if he isn't 100% and they will not have in hooper their most effective player of the last two years. They are beatable but better we play SA with a fit team than go into the easier half but down warburton, won jones and North or the like - we lack back up at the best of times but at the moment the idea of having to find a centre is quite frightening

I guess we will see! I thought before the World Cup that Australia could win it. They have improved considerably and they are the team that are most likely to beat New Zealand in my opinion. Both Wales and Ireland will have a lot more support than any other team during the latter stages (apart from Scotland) so with the crowd behind them can spring an upset. You're naturally concerned about injuries having seen so many already, but whilst I think the pre-tournament training possibly over did it, you'll see the benefits in terms of fitness now. I don't think many teams will be able to match the Welsh for fitness and intensity across the whole game. New Zealand haven't hit their stride yet and their group won't challenge them. It will still take some doing to beat them, but France pushed them close in the final last time around and I wouldn't bet against Wales doing so in the latter stages. You've got a poor record against Australia so if you can beat them, I see that as a huge mental win for the Welsh and then you really should start thinking "we can win this". 4 years ago you were unlucky, with the injuries this time you've had further bad luck and though I'm English through and through it would be good to see one of the home nations win rather than Australia!

You make a good point about beating the Aussies as a huge psychological boost, it will be for some but half the Welsh side have done it for the Lions and in Brisbane and Sydney. But with a win against the Boks a year ago and a win over the Aussies now given our bizarrely bad Southern Hemisphere record could as you say give a huge boost. A fair point and if it happened injury free you would be spot on . If it came at a cost it would worry me greatly.

Will be interesting to see who the England fans get behind now especially those who have tickets to later games that Wales or aus will be playing in

People banging on as if it's almost a friendly between Wales and Australia make me laugh & obviously don't understand Gatland, it's vital for both sides that they finish top of the group.
Wales will play the best 15 they can in every game from here on in, Australia will still have too much for us imo and then it'll be a game against South Africa.

People banging on as if it's almost a friendly between Wales and Australia make me laugh & obviously don't understand Gatland, it's vital for both sides that they finish top of the group.
Wales will play the best 15 they can in every game from here on in, Australia will still have too much for us imo and then it'll be a game against South Africa.
I have watched the springboks in most of their games in recent years and they are not a great side on any of the evidence I've seen . The poorest major nation in the Southern Hemisphere. I also reckon the Aussies aren't that great either you could count on one hand the number of truly good performances in the last 4 years and they have been pilloried by the press here for years for not competing for anything seriously in years . The game last week probably one of their best in a decade. Any team that can't beat the Boks won't even get close to the all blacks let some have a chance of beating them.

The sad truth is the Highlanders , Chiefs or hurricanes would probably win the World Cup let alone the ABs

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.