Running a Marathon ...

Don't run in new trainers, they will tear your feet to shreds, I used to Vaseline my feet beforehand and hardly ever got blisters, inside the thighs too, beware of nipple rash ;-) seriously I used to put plasters on mine after some horrible nipple sores...! Stop at every single water station without fail, whether you are thirsty or not, drink it, don't pour it on your head, use the sponges for that..! Start slow and don't get caught up with anyone else's pace, that crippled me on more than one occasion, running faster than I wanted or was capable of, its easily done, just run to your pre arranged mile times on your watch and stick to it..!

"Stop at every single water station without fail, whether you are thirsty or not, drink it, don't pour it on your head."

That's absolute nonsense. You should be properly hydrated before you start and shouldn't immediately need to down a cup/bottle of water whenever offered. Drink when you feel the need to, not because it's there. Listen to your body.

On the subject of water, look at how the water is distributed at your marathon. Will either be a bottle or a small cup. Practise running with one in your hand. Bottles are easier, cups are a pain in the arse to grab while run

On the subject of water, look at how the water is distributed at your marathon. Will either be a bottle or a small cup. Practise running with one in your hand. Bottles are easier, cups are a pain in the arse to grab while run

I find walking and drinking and doing gel packs - nice to catch your breath back .. swallow and go again

Obviously my water advice has fallen on deaf ears but I stand by it, it takes seconds to grab some and even if you are just wetting the inside of your mouth it helps, horses for courses, Ive run plenty and trying to hydrate to the correct level before the start, that's actually absolute nonsense and not possible.... Gel packs, that's not something I ever tried but then again I have not run a marathon for a good few years now, maybe that's the way forward....
Not for me though, water at every opportunity, never said you had to drink a full bottle every time.... Good luck though whatever strategy you employ to get round..

Fair play to anyone who's done it/doing it. I've done the 10k a few times, and think that's my limit! The prospect of doing something over four times longer fills me with dread.

Fair play to anyone who's done it/doing it. I've done the 10k a few times, and think that's my limit! The prospect of doing something over four times longer fills me with dread.

I'm 6 weeks to go and can't picture the thought of 26 miles - I've trained so hard and ran 13/14 miles but the thought of double that is a whole new level

It's often advised to have a few sips at every water station, but I would suggest that it depends on the person. Personally, I go against all the advice and don't even drink at all on the morning of the marathon and don't even drink for the first 7 or 8 miles or so. But that's cos I don't want to have to stop for a piss during the race.

I'm 6 weeks to go and can't picture the thought of 26 miles - I've trained so hard and ran 13/14 miles but the thought of double that is a whole new level
Just bear in mind that the advice is usually to get up to ~18 miles in training, so that's only about an extra four miles. Once you've run 18 a few times, 26 doesn't sound as bad!

In 2015 I ran 12 half and 6 full marathons (for charity, not enjoyment) and, as ric can confirm from the football marathon last year, I am no slim Jim or amazingly fit person

I would advise getting in an 18/20 mile run in and not run more than 10k in a day in the 2 weeks leading up to it

Get your food right - carb load 2 days before - take ibroprofen with you on the day just in case

I always taped up every toe with zinc tape and never got a blister

Water - just do what's best for you but I do agree with using the water stations wisely - I made sure from 10 miles that I would at least sip some water at every stop

Finally toilets - get in the queue early on have a piss and then rejoin the queue- all before the race - have a little jog around to get that bowel going! I managed to train myself into having a poo 30 minutes before every race! It was so important!

Good luck!

In 2015 I ran 12 half and 6 full marathons (for charity, not enjoyment) and, as ric can confirm from the football marathon last year, I am no slim Jim or amazingly fit person

I would advise getting in an 18/20 mile run in and not run more than 10k in a day in the 2 weeks leading up to it

Get your food right - carb load 2 days before - take ibroprofen with you on the day just in case

I always taped up every toe with zinc tape and never got a blister

Water - just do what's best for you but I do agree with using the water stations wisely - I made sure from 10 miles that I would at least sip some water at every stop

Finally toilets - get in the queue early on have a piss and then rejoin the queue- all before the race - have a little jog around to get that bowel going! I managed to train myself into having a poo 30 minutes before every race! It was so important!

Good luck!

6 Marathons in one year ???!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.