Stockport County

Lived in Heaton Chapel for many years and I too viewed them as my second team for a while. The 2 mates I've been going to City games with for over 25 years always had a different view though and warned me even when there were 3 divisions separating us that it could get ugly if we both ended up in the same division, partly because they'd witnessed some pretty hostile behaviour from their fans at a couple of the pre-season friendlies. Maybe in my naivety I never expected us to be in the same division as them so I pretty much dismissed what they were telling me.

Well I have to admit that they were right and I was wrong, and when the time finally arrived in 1997 their fans behaved like utter twats. I've nothing against them taking the piss out of us - they deservedly wiped the floor with us that day - but plenty of stories emerged of innocent City fans being attacked after the match.

To think, in addition to all the help City gave them our fans - and United's to be fair - pretty much propped their shithouse of a club up in the 70's and 80's by boosting their gate receipts at Friday night home games long before Danny Bergara rocked up and produced a team that was challenging for promotion rather than re-election. It wasn't just Stockport based reds and blues either - another mate of mine is Wythenshawe born and bred and he used to attend their matches too.

Don't really get the hate for the Hatters. I used to go watch them friday night and then see City on the saturday. Hardly their fault we were crap and I'm sure they weren't the only set of fans laughing at our misfortune. It's unlikely but I'd like to see them back in the league. They did brilliantly to get to the old second division and if I remember right a league cup semi. We should remember football isn't just for the benefit of the "big" clubs and their fans.

Agreed.

Let's face it anyone who chooses their local side over their big city neighbours (us or united) is basically decent.

You shouldn't hate them for taking the piss when they were above us, what set of football fans wouldn't.

A proper team and a proper set of fans.

Lived in Heaton Chapel for many years and I too viewed them as my second team for a while. The 2 mates I've been going to City games with for over 25 years always had a different view though and warned me even when there were 3 divisions separating us that it could get ugly if we both ended up in the same division, partly because they'd witnessed some pretty hostile behaviour from their fans at a couple of the pre-season friendlies. Maybe in my naivety I never expected us to be in the same division as them so I pretty much dismissed what they were telling me.

Well I have to admit that they were right and I was wrong, and when the time finally arrived in 1997 their fans behaved like utter twats. I've nothing against them taking the piss out of us - they deservedly wiped the floor with us that day - but plenty of stories emerged of innocent City fans being attacked after the match.

To think, in addition to all the help City gave them our fans - and United's to be fair - pretty much propped their shithouse of a club up in the 70's and 80's by boosting their gate receipts at Friday night home games long before Danny Bergara rocked up and produced a team that was challenging for promotion rather than re-election. It wasn't just Stockport based reds and blues either - another mate of mine is Wythenshawe born and bred and he used to attend their matches too.

I grew up in Wythenshawe and a group of blues used to get the 371 in the late 60's to watch County when they played Friday's, then next day we would be at the blues home or away, we just loved live games. I fondly remember Friday night is County night, go go go County, we are the CHeadle end and we are round the bend.
I have lived in Stockport for over 30 years and whilst I admire the fans who have stuck with them, many of them were right gob shites for the short time they were above us in the league. Also took my lad to watch them on free tickets from his primary school then off to see a real game next day.

Their Wikipedia page namechecks Blue Moon in the "Rivalries" section.
Apparently our defeats to County "clearly touched a raw nerve with many Manchester City supporters"...so fuck em :D

I'm a typical massive Citeh fan, in that I was born (no longer live) in Stockport and I used to watch County every now and again on a Friday night.
I also remember back in the 70's when County were totally on their arse, applying every season for re election (no relegation from the 4th division then) and being absolutely skint, so skint that City sent their first team down to Edgeley Park TWICE to play Stockport in friendlies so they could get some money through the gate

Roll on twenty odd years later and County are doing very well in the second tier, holding their own and we are struggling like fuck in the same division
I went to watch County with my two brothers and a friend on Boxing day 1997. City were away at Crewe.
At half time when reading out half time scores from around the country, the compare screeched " and in the relegation battle at Gresty Road, it's Crewe 1 Manchester CITY NIL" and he whipped the crowd up into the biggest cheer of the day
All that went through my head was, you fucking short term memory twats.
And from that day fuck em
Very similar story to me other than I grew up in Burnage. We often went on a Friday night, I even remember one of their ends was just a raised field.
They were my second team until the fateful years when we clashed in earnest.

I won't bore anybody with the shitty obnoxious attitude that several supposed county friends developed during that time, nor my nephews mate getting the shit kicked out of him for wearing a city badge. ( unless you want me to but we'll be here forever)

I regularly look for their results now and a loss never fails to make me smile. I'm positive they will have some decent fans but I don't know any.

Absolute twats.

my second team. would be doing better if all the stockport glory hunters actually supported there local team ;). lots of united and city fans still go to county matches. would be great if we had strong stockport and salford teams.

i think we should still be having pre season friendlies with them tbh.

Remember the twats singing lets all laugh at City in Svens last game (boro away) and since then thought fuck em

Went to a couple of the friendlies before the league games and it always kicked off

Undecided what to do one Friday, my mate and I went to County because Friday night is County night. Arrived about 10 mins after kick off. Gave it some woofty. "Come on County, get into them " Kept it going till the end of the game. Think Crewe scored then County replied with 2 mins to go. Really cheering them on to victory. Final whistle, guy behind praised us for being great County fans. Walking to the bus station listening to the other fans saying things like, If Crewe hadnt of scored two in that first 10 mins we could have got a draw. Went many times before and after that as well. So like many Blues we gave but got bit in the arse. I don't wish them to disappear. That pleasure I reserve for the Trafford rags and Bury/Moston rags.

New owner is a City fan, I believe. Will be interesting to see if he can get back them back into the Football League.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.