The MEN Pink

Think the Green was gone well before the 70s.
Just looked up Wikipedia and it was the 60s (1963?)when the Chronicle merged with the MEN. Another fact on there I didn't know. The Chronicle was owned by a City Chairman, Sir Edward Hulton in the early 1900s. Of course we have no History!!!

I grew up in Partington, and used to deliver 100 Pinks on a Saturday in the early 70s ... used to get 1p per paper. So £1 for an hours work and used to sell the last few in the Squire pub so a few tips normally gave me £1.20. Then when the price went to 6p virtually everyone gave me 10p and said keep the change, so I earned at least a fiver for an hour that year, which was a lot of money as my mates who delivered papers 7 days a week were only getting around £2.00 for the week and the year after I started my first full time job at £20 per week.
The only place you can see the Pink archive now is at Manchester Central Library. It's on Microfiche, and it's been invaluable in researching for my website. If you have a spare day I would recommend a day at the library rolling back those memories

I grew up in Partington, and used to deliver 100 Pinks on a Saturday in the early 70s ... used to get 1p per paper. So £1 for an hours work and used to sell the last few in the Squire pub so a few tips normally gave me £1.20. Then when the price went to 6p virtually everyone gave me 10p and said keep the change, so I earned at least a fiver for an hour that year, which was a lot of money as my mates who delivered papers 7 days a week were only getting around £2.00 for the week and the year after I started my first full time job at £20 per week.
The only place you can see the Pink archive now is at Manchester Central Library. It's on Microfiche, and it's been invaluable in researching for my website. If you have a spare day I would recommend a day at the library rolling back those memories
Great story. enjoyed reading it, cheers mate!

Who remembers this? Going through some things today found this from the MEN. I used to really look forward to receiving it once the fixtures were released.

Attachments

• thumbnail_image2.jpg
    thumbnail_image2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 62
  • thumbnail_image2 (1).jpg
    thumbnail_image2 (1).jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 62
The whole paper was printed and they’d slot on the one missing bit. They’d print the missing bit in the vans before selling them as left the ground.

I never knew this until a few years ago.
There was a guy just outside the van on the forecourt near the Maine Road ticket office.
As kids we called him Olly as he would walk around, selling papers, shouting " Olly halftimes"

Sorry to go a little off topic here but can anyone go into Central Library to research in the archives or only Manchester rate payers? I used to go when I lived in Burnage but now I’m in Eccles I’m not sure If I’m allowed. :-) Thanks

Who remembers this? Going through some things today found this from the MEN. I used to really look forward to receiving it once the fixtures were released.

Yeah, used to be buzzing when that came out.

That first game of the season at Tottenham would have been Gascoigne and Lineker’s first game after the Italy World Cup and they got a generous welcome off both sets of fans. Both scored as well obviously.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.