UEFA Youth League Thread 14/15.

shroom said:
LOSC OS article regarding friendly with City thru google translate - quotes and pics - <a class="postlink" href="https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.losc.fr%2Factualite-foot-lille%2Fformation%2Fquand-jeunes-dogues-et-citizens-se-renvoient-la-balle&edit-text=&act=url" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url</a>

Red devils??! Recall Lopes and get the sheikh to buy Lille and demolish their stadium.

supercity88 said:
Neville Kneville said:
Nelly's Left Foot said:
I see nothing wrong in putting such players on the bench instead of the likes of Boyata or anyone else who realistically is never going to be brought on. Pozo might be overawed a little but he has great quick feet and loads of quality so you never know.Even if it was a little much for him it would get the debut and early stuff out of the way. He is sharp and talented which is more than you can say for the performances of some we have seen.

Barker the same.I think he is even more likely to be overawed but why not go for it.

Surely one place out of all those substitutes is not such a terrible risk. We have seen all kinds of characters appear on the bench in recent years. 3 centre backs, 2 def mids, all kinds of weird unbalanced stuff, just to keep squad players involved. One kid on there wouldn't be such a huge gamble & if they get on, there is so much good will, all they have to do is one nice touch & it lifts the fans.

Also, if we did hit form & played a blinder one day, battering someone, the kid could come on for 30 mins & have a big day, perhaps a couple of assists or a goal. Pozo manged a few nice moments v Sheffield. If they're not on the bench to start with, then even if we're 7 up, we can't get to see them.

I totally agree with you on this. I don't think you ruin players just by playing them at a young age. If they are managed correctly they should be exempt from criticism. Martinez is playing Barkley further forward to remove some of the risk involved in his play. Pozo and Barker aren't likely to be in a part of the pitch where they could cost us a game. If we are 2-0 or 3-0 up with time left we could play them and give them exposure to the first team and build their confidence. Pozo is closer to being ready than Barker but from City and England reports, everytime Barker plays he manages to handle and indeed excel expectations despite progressing quickly through the age groups.

I agree, but out wide, you never know. Barker could come up against someone like Clichy in his recent disaster mode, & totally take the piss out of him.

That's the whole thing for me, it's different if you are a goalkeeper or a defender, particularly a central defender. It's not easy to impress from those positions & the slightest mistake costs everything. You really need to have your shit together imo or otherwise it's not fair. Boyata for example was an absolutely top prospect who, imo, was utterly dumped on by Mancini by throwing him into a huge game at cb when he wasn't ready & has struggled to recover mentally since. But an attacking player has much more leeway for dropping a bollock & still coming out of it all smelling of roses, if he does something good for ten seconds he is a hero. If he struggles, well he's just a kid, he gets another go in the future.

Maybe wrong, but I hope we match with Barcelona. I want to see what talent our team truly has by comparing to one of the best in the world.

I guess we have Schalke u19 don't know how good they are. Anyone got some information on them or how they did in Ufea Youth League.

EllisMCFC said:
I guess we have Schalke u19 don't know how good they are. Anyone got some information on them or how they did in Ufea Youth League.

We got arguably the hardest second seed draw because Shalke have in of the best academy teams in this competition.

They were only second to Chelsea on goal difference this season I think and knocked Chelsea out in the quarters last season only to just get beat 1-0 by eventual winners Barcelona in the semi final.

We did beat Shalke in a friendly a few months ago and we face them in January in the u21 Premier League International Cup so that will be a bit of a warm up and taster for what to expect in February, albeit it will be u21 and not u19, either way there will be players evident who will play in the UEFA Youth League.

It will be a tough game but we we do have home advantage, and in the next round we face either Ajax or Roma away.

If we get that far the team head off to Switzerland to play in the semi finals and potential final.

The difficulty of this competition for the youth lies in the fact they only play one round, so you have to win the tie in 90 mins whether you are drawn home or away, not good if we are out of form or have a few key injuries.

Pozo should be put back in with the EDS/ u19s for this game, we need the best players available.

I want to see Garcia have a run out again, for a 16 year old to have such an impact when he came on against Roma for 20 minutes or so was impressive, whether Vieira sees him as a starter I am not too sure, but he would be a very good option off the bench.

Our squad depth seems very good at youth level.

sam-caddick said:
EllisMCFC said:

We got arguably the hardest second seed draw because Shalke have in of the best academy teams in this competition.

They were only second to Chelsea on goal difference this season I think and knocked Chelsea out in the quarters last season only to just get beat 1-0 by eventual winners Barcelona in the semi final.

We did beat Shalke in a friendly a few months ago and we face them in January in the u21 Premier League International Cup so that will be a bit of a warm up and taster for what to expect in February, albeit it will be u21 and not u19, either way there will be players evident who will play in the UEFA Youth League.

It will be a tough game but we we do have home advantage, and in the next round we face either Ajax or Roma away.

If we get that far the team head off to Switzerland to play in the semi finals and potential final.

The difficulty of this competition for the youth lies in the fact they only play one round, so you have to win the tie in 90 mins whether you are drawn home or away, not good if we are out of form or have a few key injuries.

Pozo should be put back in with the EDS/ u19s for this game, we need the best players available.

I want to see Garcia have a run out again, for a 16 year old to have such an impact when he came on against Roma for 20 minutes or so was impressive, whether Vieira sees him as a starter I am not too sure, but he would be a very good option off the bench.

Our squad depth seems very good at youth level.
They do undoubtedly have a good academy but they were also in a poor group. Sporting CP only won 2 games, both against Maribor, while Maribor themselves lost all 6.
Shalke will be more worried about us then the other way around especially with home advantage to us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.