Unisex Football

I watched the England ladies the other night and it seemed to take all night to get the ball moved up, they just don't have the speed or strength to be honest. Fair play to them for their tenacity though, it' s just that it will always be regarded very much as a minority sport.

They're not as bad as people think. They'd easily beat every sunday league side, assuming the pitch wasn't just a bog.

The top teams would survive, I reckon, in the Evo-Stick but not much higher than that.

Chairman Wesker said:
Timmmmahhhh said:
Obvously not at the same level as it was a kick about between mates.

I once played 7 a-side against against a team that involved 3 of the Arsenal womens team.

Before the game, our team was all lads, we were joking about with things like "er, can you tackle them like you normally would (a bloke) or do you have to take it easy with them?".

None of us got anywhere near them, and some of my mates are semi pro.

If this story is true , you and your mates are shit
X2

Bigga said:
Some time ago the Brasilian player, Marta, was being courted to play for a second division men's team in Italy. It was given some consideration, I believe.

Apparently it wasn't a publicity stunt.

watched a youtube clip of her and technically she looked spot on, much better than many professional men.If most top level women footballers anywhere near her level I might seriously consider watching it.

Ancient Citizen said:
I watched the England ladies the other night and it seemed to take all night to get the ball moved up, they just don't have the speed or strength to be honest. Fair play to them for their tenacity though, it' s just that it will always be regarded very much as a minority sport.

I think women's football suffers from comparisons to men, but they also suffer playing a game designed for men. For instance take a look at womens tennis; in a slam competion men play best of 5 sets women play best of 3, whilst there is a bit of difference in that women have more and rallys etc. Why do they do this, because women can't physically cope playing 5 sets like the men.
The pace is slower for women's football than men, there are other obvious reasons for it but I can't help but think that 90 minutes is too long to sustain a higher tempo, shortening the game may improve the quality, they do this in men's youth football, shortening the pitch may have the same effect. I also think the goals are too big; they are designed for men who are, using average height as a comparison around 5-6 inches taller, it may make more sense to make the goals more propotionate to women's body size.

Women won't have the speed or strength of the men that is obvious, however using another tennis comparison, Tim Henman saying that top level women's tennis players, Serena williams IIRC wouldn't get in the top 40 or beat a top 40 ranked player from the men's game. However you don't look at women's tennis in the same way as women's football, i.e it is enjoyable to watch and you can appreciate it just as much as the men's sport even if there are noticeable differences. Maybe it is just better if women's football just ignored the men's sport, they should adapt the regulations to suit them and look to develop a more technical game, watching some of it has looked like "Kick and Rush", without the rush.
They should look for adaptions to their game that suit them not pick up things from the men's game, the kick and rush 80's watford style, I have witnessed numerous times is pointless for them, you need endurance for pressing which women will have less of in comparison to men and so there is no high tempo that is required. Whilst the long balls only clarify the situation that many teams lack any technical ideas and so resort to long ball because not because it suits them better but because it is easier to coach and play.

Women's football will probably always be a minority sport, so if the physicality of the men's can't be replicated, why not go less physical, i.e reduce the empasis on big and tall forwards, technically these are often the worse and stopper CBs focus more on ball retention,passing, awareness of team mates position etc.

Although of course it may very difficult, many women's teams probably struggle to recruit enough members at youth level so a higher standard of technical ability and footballing awarness may be difficult to find, although Marta shows extraordinary technique so it is possible to achieve in the right circumstances.

If women's football offers something different to the men's game then it will be looked upon with more interest rather than as a poor relation to the men's game.

LOL at you lot.

You really think the USA woman's team would get beaten by a Sunday league men's team?

Years ago a men's tennis player (I think he was a low ranking pro recently retired) said he could beat any woman at tennis. Billie Jean King heard about the comments and challenged him to a game. The bloke accepted. BJK wiped the floor with him. The same would happen to the Sunday league men's team.

Women's footy has come on tremendously in the last 10 years. Where you notice the difference the most still is the keepers... who are still a long way off looking like a good male keeper.

In terms of fitness, skill and tactics... a sunday league men's team would be run ragged by a top level woman's team. I'd love to see all your faces as the blokes tried to get the ball off them.

Delusional.

I know a couple of former members of the Spanish Women's National Team and they are just as technically gifted as the men. The problem resides with their speed and physicality and my female playing friends will freely admit this issue. The lad above that stated the barrier was that football was designed for men is spot on. Women are great athletes but normal, top-level football is rigged for male dominance--not intentionally but inherently.

If you play a good female team versus a good male team in futsal you get a good, fair match, as the space is limited and technique is king. Open up play to a regulation pitch and the dynamics change--the female team is at a drastic disadvantage. The only way to even the competition is to do what the Russians got away with in the 70's and 80's with testerone and HGH treatments for their olympic athletes but that destroys a woman's body (not just in the shallow appearance facet, but it actually causes severe medical issues, even worse then male side affects) and it just a means an altering of their gender specific characteristics (make them men, in short).

I actually still enjoy watching good women's football, just as I do good men's football, but I don't think they'll ever integrate. That said, a top-level women's team would destroy a Sunday league team. Anyone saying otherwise is delusional.

I remember a woman being charge of a non-league team (names of both escape me) a few years ago. I think female players could do it, but we'll never see it happen. Male football is very macho and alpha-male. I can't imagine a woman sharing a dressing room with the likes of Giggs, Terry, Rooney, Ashley Cole and Marlon King.

Unknown_Genius said:
I remember a woman being charge of a non-league team (names of both escape me) a few years ago. I think female players could do it, but we'll never see it happen. Male football is very macho and alpha-male. I can't imagine a woman sharing a dressing room with the likes of Giggs, Terry, Rooney, Ashley Cole and Marlon King.

As they are all sex pests I am sure that no woman would ever want to.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.