West Ham - post match thread

Why slate one of our own so harshly after we just tonked hammers and witnessed one of the best attacking displays in our lifetime? We all know Bravos coming in and Willy is willing to improve. Jeez
Sadly too, it's not even a legitimate criticism :( it's not like scoring off crossesvis something that doesn't happen to other keepers. Jeez!

You're right but it will be interesting to see what they do. I predict mariner will include it in his report and say it was 50/50 given the 'physicality' West Ham brought into the game second half......
Does anyone know when Mariner's report will be turned in? Also, are referee match reports made public in full?

Re-watched the match on Sky last night. It's amazing how much the nerves of viewing a game live, and the influence of the commentators comments, can affect how you feel a match is going at the time, compared to how it actually went when you get chance to view it back, knowing the result.
The first half was amazing, but we continued playing really well for the first ten minutes of the second half, we then conceded the goal, but then conceded only ONE more half chance, in the rest of the match, and that was at 3-1!
Yes, we lost a little control, and West Ham played slightly better, but we still dominated, played a handful of sloppy passes and looked slightly more hesitant, but continued to look slick for the majority of the time, and created about five clear cut chances.
If it wasn't for the almost flawless first half, the second half would have appeared excellent. However the commentators, at different points in the second half, described us as "wilting", and "coming apart at the seams"! You'd think we'd crumbled, and West Ham were all over us. The pundits in the studio continued this theme, without being able to show anything but City highlights (and the Aguero incident).
I guess Sky feel they have to keep the drama cranked up to the max, but it was amazing watching it back, how much a slight dip in our play, and a moderately better West Ham performance, created such a huge shift in the reporting of the match, and consequently must have influenced my nerves/frustration while watching live!
I think we lost quite a bit of control after they scored and while not on the ropes we looked in a bit of bother for 10 or 15 mins. However,on the balance of chances we deserved to win at least 5-1 and the first half performance was sublime. The media crusade likely to see Kun banned for the trip to ragland but with a favourable report from the ref and a fair hearing he should get off.

I loved watching that yesterday, it was a fantastic performance. The difference with how Pep has got us playing to what Pellers was serving up last season is massive. Stones looks a great signing already & I can't wait until Sane & Gundogan are brought in also. Yesterday was good but in a month or too when everything clicks, we will be scarily good!

Watching the highlights last night, it struck me how similar West Ham's goal was to Fellani's header at the swamp two seasons ago, or even the Stoke move, which ended with Kolarov tangling with Joe Allen, last week.
For all his popularity and honest endeavour, I fear that Zabaleta's wooden defending is eventually going to cost us points.

Was right behind the goal and agree with the terrible defending from Zabba. Disappointing as he dealt with the initial attack really well. Zabba played well yesterday but the attempted challenge looked like a tired one to me.

What also really disappointed me was the non-challenge from Clichey who stayed on his feet and didn't attack the ball, thus making it difficult for the attacker to jump all over him. Zabba did this in the first half when he found himself with the tall West Ham player.

I thought overall we were very good yesterday. First half was nothing short of phenomenal, I even went out on a limb to my brother and said it was the best football I have seen at the Etihad. Granted we've seen some excellent performances down the years, some of the games in Pellegrini's first year in charge stick in mind with some slick, liquid football at times, however what Pep has brought is next level. The work ethic is exceptional and it made West Ham kick it hopelessly long too many times to count.

But most of all, the positional play and interchange is ridiculous. No two players are ever occupying the same vertical channel and when someone vacates their position, by the time you look back to see the space they've left, it's already been filled. Fernandinho does it very well slotting into centre half and even KDB dropped into right back at points today. Nobody seems scared or unwilling to do hard work like in previous years and it's just great to see. Everyone is constantly barking out orders too, even the players you wouldn't expect it from e.g your Nolito's and Silva's.

The second half, when you're watching it live, seems panicky, but in hindsight we were still in control of the game. Credit to West Ham they managed to disrupt our offensive patterns and gain a bit more possession, but aside from Antonio's predictable goal (no wonder Pep was livid), Caballero never made a save. They did well knowing that the long ball transition was the best way to get into decent positions, but we handled it well, despite what my heart beat told me at the time.

Nasri's introduction set us alight again and I'm glad because in the Steaua game last Wednesday when Silva or De Bruyne weren't involved, with no Gundogan, we lacked a player who can be cute in possession and find the final pass. He may not be a starter every week but I think he could be a very strong asset considering the inevitable rotation we'll need. Whether he stays or not I don't know as Pep claims to want a small squad and whether he can afford Nasri a space with the amount of midfielders we already have is still unknown.

Generally though couldn't have asked for a better start; 5/5 and starting to pick up Peps ideas quickly with only room to get better. Bring on the Swamp.

Match comments from the ragcafe spokesman :
Yesterday at 17:15
VanGaalEra
2-1, come on West Ham
Yesterday at 15:04
VanGaalEra

Where the feck is Payet?

City playing an injury ravaged West Ham, jammy bastards.
Yesterday at 16:08
VanGaalEra
Feck sake, chasing shadows
On the Aguero incident :
Today at 11:03
VanGaalEra
He's an absolute cnut but somehow has a squeaky clean image, he also got away with a stamp on Noble last season, prior to the Derby too.
Today at 00:48
VanGaalEra
Couldn't give a shit whether it was the Derby next or not, he deserves a 3 game ban for what he's done and them missing their best player for 3 games is great
And a few other gems :
Yesterday at 17:01
VanGaalEra
Lol at City's shit bunch of 'legends' on the sidelines :lol:
Yesterday at 16:04
VanGaalEra
Pep looking depressed.
I don't actually think this kid has been to a live game. I do feel slightly sorry for him as there's obviously something missing upstairs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.