What is a 7 Day NHS?

Of course part of the job is unsocial hours,thats a given and that is what NHS staff do.The issue here is the gov wanting to rip up their contracts and give them worse ones and that is not right for anyone in any job who has a contract,workers have rights and less of the sweet please
but if the existing contracts don't match the requirements of the 7 Day direction...
...if this was business and not public sector it would just be done and that's the end of it - and so it should be, workers can have as many rights as they like until it buts the employer out of business - they're guaranteed to have none at that point, nor a job. It does make me laugh when people (especially unionists) try to overplay workers rights/roles in the machinery of business in the western world - actually anywhere to be honest

but if the existing contracts don't match the requirements of the 7 Day direction...
...if this was business and not public sector it would just be done and that's the end of it - and so it should be, workers can have as many rights as they like until it buts the employer out of business - they're guaranteed to have none at that point, nor a job. It does make me laugh when people (especially unionists) try to overplay workers rights/roles in the machinery of business in the western world - actually anywhere to be honest

I was a manager for a distribution company for 12 years where I had to work Christmas days, new year's eve, nights etc. The place was 24/7 and we got bought out by an American company who then gave notice they where changing our then incredible contracts. Some said fair enough, myself and others said no and took a severance and moved on.

That's business and that's life.

Last post on this subject. Do I think they earn enough? No. Should they get more? Yes. Should they stop moaning about working 7 days a week as part and parcel of the job? Yes.

Still no one has hinted at what a 7 day NHS means?

If it's clinics and nurses and support staff then Hunt is deluded, if it's improving a+e then it's not only doctors that are needed, it's more like radiographers and other key support workers.

Which is it - anyone? Please?

I'm not going to answer the question of whether what the Govt is doing is right or wrong ... but to the OP's question what is a 7 day NHS, to me its a service which is identically staffed and capable every single day of the week - it should not matter that what day it is when it comes to ANY service they offer, be it A&E, planned treatment, unplanned treatment, consultations, whatever - no differet, and this is basically because the health and welfare of human beings generally operates on a 7 day basis - there can be no prescription that you can't be ill on a Sunday - its not how nature works. and therefore it is reasonable to assume that the most efficient way to run the health service (and to have it staffed) is on an all days are equal in the week - anybody who signed up to work in the NHS (on the front line anyway) should be wholly aware about these basic facts and accept what that means for their working life and the impact on their non-working lives - and before I get shot down in flames here, I am utterly certain that the vast vast majority of NHS employees to their absolute best for their patients on a day to day basis - no argument.

Unfortunately that doesn't work in practice :)
My company has a customer base existing almost entirely of production facilities that run “24/7”. All of them have regular shut downs for service, maintenance. calibration, etc. All these companies use the same procedure, all over the world - they shut down whole production lines for 3 days for maintenance - because it is the only viable way to do it. Service engineers and maintenance staff are drafted in and work round the clock to perform all the necessary repairs, new installations etc in the shut down period. No product is processed at all during the shut down. This will not work with a hospital. You cannot empty a hospital of patients every two weeks or shut down an A&E for three days.

A hospital is more like a motorway - you have to do the repairs during times when there is less traffic, shutting one lane or one operating theatre and keeping the rest open. This is, I suspect, what happens at weekends in hospitals now. Managers/Doctors don't schedule standard operations such as hip replacements, knee surgey etc at weekends to reduce demand on the operating theatres, MRIs, beds, toilets, kitchens, X-ray equipment to allow for the essential maintenance to be performed. on a rolling basis.

I have yet to hear how all the “back room” work is going to be done when the hospital is running at full capacity every hour of the day, every day of the week. Hunt doesn't have a clue, of that I am sure and I don't even think he and his cronies have even given it a moments thought. It is going to be an unmitigated disaster.

Still no one has hinted at what a 7 day NHS means?
well I told you what I thought it should mean - would you expect the Police or Fire Service to be anything other than a full 7 day service?

Unfortunately that doesn't work in practice :)
My company has a customer base existing almost entirely of production facilities that run “24/7”. All of them have regular shut downs for service, maintenance. calibration, etc. All these companies use the same procedure, all over the world - they shut down whole production lines for 3 days for maintenance - because it is the only viable way to do it. Service engineers and maintenance staff are drafted in and work round the clock to perform all the necessary repairs, new installations etc in the shut down period. No product is processed at all during the shut down. This will not work with a hospital. You cannot empty a hospital of patients every two weeks or shut down an A&E for three days.

A hospital is more like a motorway - you have to do the repairs during times when there is less traffic, shutting one lane or one operating theatre and keeping the rest open. This is, I suspect, what happens at weekends in hospitals now. Managers/Doctors don't schedule standard operations such as hip replacements, knee surgey etc at weekends to reduce demand on the operating theatres, MRIs, beds, toilets, kitchens, X-ray equipment to allow for the essential maintenance to be performed. on a rolling basis.

I have yet to hear how all the “back room” work is going to be done when the hospital is running at full capacity every hour of the day, every day of the week. Hunt doesn't have a clue, of that I am sure and I don't even think he and his cronies have even given it a moments thought. It is going to be an unmitigated disaster.
I have to be a bit careful with what I say here but our government client (I work for an IT company) is a 24x7 operation - lets call it a 140 site hotel chain for the purposes of this conversation - there is NO opportunity for it to stop functioning. ever. and you or I wouldn't want it to either. we work around that. all the time. we operate a 24x7 service to that hotel chain, and it needs people to do it, people who don't get anything extra for doing a Saturday or a Sunday versus a Monday or Wednesday. It's the way of the world.

well I told you what I thought it should mean - would you expect the Police or Fire Service to be anything other than a full 7 day service?
Sorry Discosteve i missed that post.

I now get where you're coming from.

Unfortunately I don't think it was ever envisaged that the NHS would provide full surgeries on weekends, the cost would be phenomenal. Also providing this service would have a definite impact on the services delivered during the week. We all know we can be ill on the weekend and we can rely upon getting treatments then too.

There are many essential services that deliver over the weekends as indeed does the NHS. There are many more that don't deliver over the weekend such as bin men, teachers though extra curricular activities could count as a kind of A+E in this case, Libraries. I would even wager in your line the staffing levels are less at the weekends than during the week.

I'm not sure Jeremy Hunt has ever come clean and described in detail what his 7 day NHS would deliver. If it is clinics and the full service he should focus on other areas first, such as recruiting the army of support staff to deliver, doctors should be the least of his concerns. A very simple and crude challenge would be where is he going to find an additional 40% of the existing wage bill to fund two extra days work... because he's going to have to do this if he's intent on having this kind of 7day NHS. I would love to see the Business Case and benefit plan and analysis if this is what he is trying to do!

it's when you need a diagnosis and care for a potentially terminal illness and you can't get anything done over the weekend

imagine the stress

hard enough during the week and impossible at the weekend

nurses were ace though and did what they could but a doctor/ consultant was needed

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.