What teams did people at your school support?

Moved to Glossop from Sheffield in the early 70s where it was roughly about 60-40 in City’s favour with a couple of Derby fans and two Arsenal supporters in my Primary School class.

I know because we did a bar chart in our class of who supported who.

I wasn’t born a Blue (first visit to Maine Rd in Nov 1980) and just played and followed Football generally without having my own team except between about 1971-1972ish. Having watched my first Cup Final in 1971 and seeing Charlie George and co win the Cup I became a glory hunting Gunner for a couple of years (Well I was 6/7) so filled in a square on the bar chart for them along with a girl in our class. Went round the school with two other lads in a group called “the Arsenal Babies” - funnily enough I bumped into one literally (well I fouled him) on a football field ten or so years later after we’d lost touch - he wasn’t happy and we squared up to each other - I’d become City and he United. While we separated by team mates there was no love lost - we’d never fallen out before that - no recollection of “the Arsenal babies”!

I remember being gutted when Allan Clarke scored the winner for Leeds in the ‘72 Cup Final. I sort of lost interest in them gradually because you didn’t hear much about them (certainly not in the MUEN) as they faded into mediocrity! What a fickle glory hunter...

Since the Tarquins have continually ganged up on City for years esp with the bent so-called FFP etc and their sense of entitlement means I just can’t stand them. Admired their in invincibles side don’t feel anything for them other than nostalgia for my childhood.

As for the two lads who were Derby - well under Clough and then Mackay being Champions so could have been a bit of glory hunting there too, though to be fair Glossop is Derbyshire (& obvs not North London)...just...even if the accents were/are more like Lancashire and most links are to Hyde, Ashton and Manchester.

Oh, I digress more than a little...

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.