When Was The Last City Game You Went To?

Many City vs Leeds United at Main Road, back in the 1979/80 season, while I was in my first year at Manchester University.

I went with a flatmate who was a Leeds supporter. I was a Leeds fan when I was younger (Don Revie era) when I lived in York (an obvious "local" team to follow with so little football in the early70's on the TV).

We walked to the ground (with no real plan) and managed to buy tickets outside. We had seats in the 2nd row back just to the left of the goal at the Man City end. I remember the famous lady ringing her bell! Since my friend was shouting for Leeds (I was quiet) we seemed to get a gap of seats around us, but there was no trouble whatsoever, sadly not even any banter from the City fans.

Having lived in Manchester, in Fallowfield, it left me with a soft spot for Man City, which is why I follow and watch them now, but York City FC is my proper team. Nice to hear them get mentioned every now and again to do with some famous Man City loss.

The last time I was in Manchester was when I went to watch York City verses ManU in the League Cup (approx 1995) at Old Trafford. We won 3-0 and I recall the ManU fans applauding the city players off the field. We lost the 2nd leg home tie, but went through anyway!

Villarreal, 2 hrs drive away. Emotional as I met back up with loads from school, the pub and the Kippax. Jolly boys outing in some respect.
My favourite away game ever..my stag do ( European leg) and remember leaving the ground a couple of minutes early as I was bit unsteady so wanted to miss the squeeze outside as it wasn’t clever getting in, anyway leaving our end there was old chap sat on a bench on his own taking things in I put my hand out to shake his hand which he did , his hands were like 12” frying pans a few words together.
Thanks Bert never ever forget that moment.
I have a photo of us but sorry I’m a bit of a I.T phobe. And don’t know how to post it.
I remember phoning my dad to tell him as he was one of my late old fellas greats .
he passed on to me the original steps to Wembley book printed in 56 signed as well.
Just one of those things when fate played its card .

Hillsborough, FA Cup Round 5.

Even on 4 March the scrum in the concourse for a hot chocolate felt a bad idea.
1bd1db9f66969480c05517991bd9876a.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.