Who is the best City goalkeeper in history?

Can’t believe how nobody has mentioned David James. Wasn’t here long and we weren’t a good team at the time but he is the best I’ve seen at City (been going to games since 1989)

big Joe by a mile. Went from laughing stock, to be best keeper I've ever seen through grit and determination. A lesson for us all.

Can’t believe how nobody has mentioned David James. Wasn’t here long and we weren’t a good team at the time but he is the best I’ve seen at City (been going to games since 1989)

I agree completely. Been going a bit longer and I don't ever recall him making an error for us.

My favourite was big Joe Corrigan, then Joe Hart. I am very exited about Eddie though. He has 5 clean sheets in 7 appearances which is an amazing ratio of 0.71. The best clean sheet/appearance ratio in the PL is 0.47 held by Petr Čech and Pepe Reina. Eddie would need 22 this season to break the PL record and clean sheets in the next two PL games to match Joes best of 6. Very early days and too few appearances to make conclusive judgement but what a start to his City career!

Joes best of 6 what sorry? I'm not clear on the record of Hart's that Eddie will eclipse.

In the modern era, Peter Schmeichel (yes, I know ...)

To be fair, Schmeichel would have got a load more mentions if he'd played for us in his prime. In his raggy pomp, I'd probably rate him higher than any of our keepers in the post-Trautmann era. There, I've dirtied myself for saying it.

Votes for Eddie are a little premature but who cares?

I have a lot of time for Trautmann as he's my dad's hero. Tony Coton was my first city keeper and I remember him being class but I was pretty young then and it's hard to judge. Joe Hart was brilliant over our two title winning seasons but having seen what Ederson offers distribution-wise and coming out of the box I wouldn't swap him for Hart even at his peak. I feel like there's so much potential with Ederson and I can't wait to see how it pans out with him. Even if it transpires his shot stopping is a level below Hart's, I think everything else he offers makes him a better all round option for us at the moment.

Bert Trautmann I remember watching as a young lad, and reckon he is the best I've seen as a traditional master of his trade. However, Eddie is something totally new for us as a ball-playing sweeper-keeper. I was amazed by his fealessness in playing again for us within days of that nasty face injury - not quite the same as a broken neck, but showed great guts! P.S. My first post on here, 65 years after first watching city!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.