Why are we not clinical?

I agree with others who say it's about the quality of the chances created. It's not like we're regularly missing chances that would be easier to score. The only time we end up in that situation is during counter attack goals, and we almost always score them. Teams that play on the counter are naturally going to be more clinical, because their chances are likely to be more one-on-one situations. But part of it must be the way teams defend against us. It's very hard for our players to get into a position where they're free in the box with a clear sight of goal, because there are always 8 or 9 opposition players in there too. But we also seem to have a lack of players making the run. How many times do we end up with Sane or Sterling out wide with only Aguero and six defenders to aim at in the box? Gundogan is the only other player we have with a knack of turning up in goalscoring positions. Kev should be much better at it, but his goalscoring record this year is nowhere near good enough for a player of his quality. Toure is getting on a bit for those lung busting runs that we used to see from him (although we did see a few yesterday). Of our current midfielders, only Sane is a regular goal threat. I'd be interested to see a front three of Sane - Aguero - Jesus, because all three can score. But generally I see too many players holding their position to be able to maintain possession rather than gambling to get on the end of something.

We are fairly easy to play against and the big boys have sussed it. Sit deep, give us the ball and wait for the inevitable bit of poor defending. It was Celtic who showed the way.

4 wins in 15 against sides who I would class as good.(Celtic not included as i don't class them as particularly good) Clean sheets in those games - none!

We just don't have many real regular goal threats in the team, or players willing to get in the box. They all like knocking it about just outside the box but few of them venture inside on a regular basis except for free kicks and corners.

As we frequently play teams with packed defences, it means there are usually 6+ of their players in the box and the only City player is Aguero which makes it very difficult for our wingers to be able to put in effective crosses.

We don't have enough top quality goalscorers in the side , It's a big big problem because the likes of Kev and Raheem and to a lesser degree Sane simply are not good enough in front of goal , Sergio for all his detractors of late has virtually carried this club for the past two seasons and replacing Sergio with Jesus isn't necessarily the answer to our goal scoring problems , opposition teams will simply learn how to counteract him.

We don't have a midfielder who chips in with 6-8 goals a season either , we look like a team of weaklings, Chelsea , Spurs , United players look far more robust and fitter than us , Willian would look fantastic in our side , box to box , rapid and knows where the net is.

We simply don't have clinical players- and if we do need to buy the likes of Sanchez & Mbappe to the club then what does that say about Sterling , Sane , Aguero - or even Kev for that matter.

The whole fabric of the team looks all over the show , mard arses.

They look to see if another pass is on before having a shot. That puts them in two minds and not fully thinking of getting a shot away.

We don't have enough top quality goalscorers in the side , It's a big big problem because the likes of Kev and Raheem and to a lesser degree Sane simply are not good enough in front of goal , Sergio for all his detractors of late has virtually carried this club for the past two seasons and replacing Sergio with Jesus isn't necessarily the answer to our goal scoring problems , opposition teams will simply learn how to counteract him.

We don't have a midfielder who chips in with 6-8 goals a season either , we look like a team of weaklings, Chelsea , Spurs , United players look far more robust and fitter than us , Willian would look fantastic in our side , box to box , rapid and knows where the net is.

We simply don't have clinical players- and if we do need to buy the likes of Sanchez & Mbappe to the club then what does that say about Sterling , Sane , Aguero - or even Kev for that matter.

The whole fabric of the team looks all over the show , mard arses.
For me Sane and Sterling chip in with their fair share of gaols, both should be in double figures for the season by the end which is not bad. For me, we offer no threat on goal from anyone other than Kun, Sane and Sterling. KDB gets a lot of assists but not really a goal threat himself. Yaya doesn't score many any more, Silva is weak in front of goal, Fern is no goal threat and we have no threat from any of our defenders. You look at what Alli is doing for Spurs and what a threat he is and for me, thats exactly the type of player we need. I know we'd probably not get him away from Spurs any time soon, but id love to have him and a genuine goal scoring midfielder.

For me Sane and Sterling chip in with their fair share of gaols, both should be in double figures for the season by the end which is not bad. For me, we offer no threat on goal from anyone other than Kun, Sane and Sterling. KDB gets a lot of assists but not really a goal threat himself. Yaya doesn't score many any more, Silva is weak in front of goal, Fern is no goal threat and we have no threat from any of our defenders. You look at what Alli is doing for Spurs and what a threat he is and for me, thats exactly the type of player we need. I know we'd probably not get him away from Spurs any time soon, but id love to have him and a genuine goal scoring midfielder.

Sterling and Kev gave dried up in front of goal of late - far far too inconsistent for a team that plays our style of football, the midfield is bang average in all aspects and is completely goalless.

Sterling and Kev gave dried up in front of goal of late - far far too inconsistent for a team that plays our style of football, the midfield is bang average in all aspects and is completely goalless.
Its a tough one isn't it. If you asked me should we replace the likes of KDB, Sterling, Silva etc id say absolutely not, but like you say, our midfield is painful to watch at times. Lovely on the ball and nice to watch, but completely missing the end product. Hopefully Pep addresses this over the summer and replaces Fern and Yaya.

I've made this point before and it was borne out by an incident late in the second period of extra-time. Can't remember who it was had the ball but they had beaten the Arsenal defender and had the ball just outside the box and about a yard from the goal-line. They looked up and there wasn't a blue shirt in the box to cross to but there were four or five players lined up in various positions about a yard outside the box. It drives me to fury.

GET BODIES IN THE FUCKING BOX WHEN WE NEED THEM!
Hallelujah brother, I was screaming at the tv at exactly that moment.
It feels like they are risk averse to the point of petrifaction at times.

For me Sane and Sterling chip in with their fair share of gaols, both should be in double figures for the season by the end which is not bad.
It's not bad for a young player, but we definitely need them to step it up next season if we're going to win the league. They should be scoring every other game really (which to be fair, Sane has been doing this year). They are almost into double figures in all competitions, but in the league, they've only scored 5 and 6 respectively. This season we're the joint 4th top scorers. Given the system we play, being top scorers is an absolute minimum.

We scored 102 goals last time we won the league. So far this season, we're on 63. Both seasons, we had 16 different goalscorers, but in 2013-14, six players scored 7 or more league goals. This season, only Aguero has managed that. We're hugely reliant on him to score goals, which kinda backs up the idea that he's often the only option for a player looking to set up a goal. But it also possibly backs up the idea that he's not the best at bringing others into the game. He doesn't have a single assist this season, for example, which is unusual for a striker. Behind them, we've got Silva, Toure and De Bruyne, none of which have contributed enough goals this year. Silva isn't exactly a goalscorer, but he's certainly capable of getting close to double figures. You can kind of overlook De Bruyne's lack of goals given his 13 assists, but he's shown he's capable of arriving at the correct time, so I'd hope for around 10 from him too. And hopefully Gundogan is a fairly regular goalscorer too, as he seemed to before his injury.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.