Why City's summer dealings could be very costly

That line about an ugly looking squad is extremely harsh and also disrespectful imo.

Where the full backs are concerned, perhaps we could look at the reasons why we didn't go into the market for some shiny new ones.

My belief is that with 3 of the 4 in the last year of their contracts and heading toward the twilight of their careers moving them on would probably have cost us money as compensation is paid up and peanuts are received in return. That's before we factor in the cost of the shiny new ones.

Like the article infers this could cost us this season, we've gambled but lest we forget whilst FFP has been loosened, it hasn't gone away.

I guess you had to make it more negative in order to get it published as you knew it had more chance the harsher you made it.

Tbh in the summer i was buzzing with our window, mainly due to being a Gundogan fanboy from watching his early dortmund days.

In retrospect its madness we haven't upgraded the full back positions since the the first title winning season. Kolarov is gash im sorry

Cant say Bravo has been a revelation, expected a lot, lot more if im being honest. Was on peps side on this one in the summer but I dont think anyone can say its worked out so far.

Nolito is a solid short term signing

Stones and Sane well overpriced clearly but I think I they will have good few years with us particularly the latter.

Zinchenko will be one those low cost signings where we sell him on I suspect, we just have so attacking options as it is.

Overall I thought it was a good summer of transfer activity, cant expect one window to solve all the issues in our current squad.
Think you're wrong about Zinchenko mate. I've seen a few of his games this season and he is the business. Deffo replacement for Spanish dave and will be integrated in next season. He has everything Silva has, plus power and pace. A mix if de bruyne and Silva. Honestly, watch a few games of his when it's next on kodi. The boy really is class

total crap

yes this squad needed freshening up and it was the last 2 season under pellegrini and winning only 1 league cup that the real truth hit home that we are not what the media made us out to be. we looked short in all departments and the defence was shocking when kompany was out and the only world class striker we had in (aguero) was also out for long parts of the season

pep and city are not daft and the instant impact of new signings and cleaning out some players was the right thing to do for the long term. short term we can paper over the cracks with quality players in the squad and i don't think the board set pep any real targets other than top 4 this season. i was saying to my lad the other day how many of the line up vs arsenal are long term city and pep players. the back 4 will be changed next season the strikers will be changed and midfield could have a couple of new faces come next season

so city may look a bit of the pace right now but never in the premier league can you give out the medals at christmas

I think we were all so dazzled by the reality that Pep was our manager that we all thought we knew exactly what he was brought in to do. We never thought about the results of his meetings with the club's hierarchy. Now I think it's clear that the club's horizon was a great deal further away than ours. Pep's job was a great deal more far reaching: how we are going to play our football is of prime importance and brings along with it the question of who is going to play it for us. Pep is very fussy about who he will have in his team and rightly so - sow's ears will never make silk purses. Up front Pep seems to have concluded that the personnel formed the basis of the kind of front six he wanted though age was going to become a problem in the near future. Nevertheless Pep has begun the preparation for the integration of the next generation, either by loans or first team appearances. Players like Sané not only look "devastating" prospect, thy re being integrated as "Pep" players. At the back the problems were much greater. Pep soon came to appreciate the unique talents of Fernandinho but the back four was both ageing and not really the springboard to launch attacks. Joe was a particular problem - a club hero but not a Pep player. Out went Joe. The question is not about that decision but about whether Claudio Bravo was the right replacement. In central defence Laporte soon knocked us back and a deal for Bonucci could not be clinched. John Stones arrived just in time for the CL. With the fullbacks the question appears to centre around the availability of anyon Pep was prepared to take. The decision may have been to stick with what we'd got for a year and see how the two fullbacks from the academy develop, as well as our young CB.

So, I think We are playing much differently to the way we played last season and the team is getting younger. These processes will gather pace next season and every season. I don't think it's our purchases or nonpurchases which have cost us the title - if anything has - but the magnitude of the "Pep revolution" which has made enormous demands on City. And to fair to all at the clu, no-one has shied away from taking a good few bulls by the horns.

I think we were all so dazzled by the reality that Pep was our manager that we all thought we knew exactly what he was brought in to do. We never thought about the results of his meetings with the club's hierarchy. Now I think it's clear that the club's horizon was a great deal further away than ours. Pep's job was a great deal more far reaching: how we are going to play our football is of prime importance and brings along with it the question of who is going to play it for us. Pep is very fussy about who he will have in his team and rightly so - sow's ears will never make silk purses. Up front Pep seems to have concluded that the personnel formed the basis of the kind of front six he wanted though age was going to become a problem in the near future. Nevertheless Pep has begun the preparation for the integration of the next generation, either by loans or first team appearances. Players like Sané not only look "devastating" prospect, thy re being integrated as "Pep" players. At the back the problems were much greater. Pep soon came to appreciate the unique talents of Fernandinho but the back four was both ageing and not really the springboard to launch attacks. Joe was a particular problem - a club hero but not a Pep player. Out went Joe. The question is not about that decision but about whether Claudio Bravo was the right replacement. In central defence Laporte soon knocked us back and a deal for Bonucci could not be clinched. John Stones arrived just in time for the CL. With the fullbacks the question appears to centre around the availability of anyon Pep was prepared to take. The decision may have been to stick with what we'd got for a year and see how the two fullbacks from the academy develop, as well as our young CB.

So, I think We are playing much differently to the way we played last season and the team is getting younger. These processes will gather pace next season and every season. I don't think it's our purchases or nonpurchases which have cost us the title - if anything has - but the magnitude of the "Pep revolution" which has made enormous demands on City. And to fair to all at the clu, no-one has shied away from taking a good few bulls by the horns.

Birds eye potato waffle

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.