Why City's summer dealings could be very costly

I think the squad is unbalanced. Too many older players and younger players and not enough players at their peak. I think it will cost us the title this year as I can't see us ironing out the problems we have in the space of a few weeks and in any case, Chelsea look really strong regardless.

I think it will be worth being patient though and this will be addressed. We are not far off seeing the end of Clichy, Sagna, Navas, Kolorov, Toure, Zabaleta and possibly even Kompany and these will all need replacing. I think it's possible Fernandinho may be off too if the Chinese fancy him and make him an offer that we can't compete with.

I am sure next year and the one after that we will have an excellent balanced squad with some young academy players breaking through to compliment it.

It's an exciting future but I don't think this season will be one full of silverware. If we win something it will be a bonus for me.

Article spot on. SWP just changes his mind like the wind
Tell me what I've changed my mind on relating to this article?

The article is harsh. The buys we made are fine for now and the future. Not buying full backs may be an issue but wasn't down to not enough cash (meaning the buys we made had zero effect on not buying full backs).

Good article in the main and well written. I don't care too much about the price of new players or whether or not we paid too much for them. What is important is that we get the right players in the right positions to play the system(s) we want to play. If for example, Stirling helps us to achieve that, then I don't care if he cost £50 million and I won't worry too much if we paid £5, £10 or £20 million too much. A scouser keeps reminding me we paid too much and I always reply that it hasn't been paid from my bank account (I wish!) and that whatever he cost, he now plays for us and not for them.....fact (Ha ha!).

It's not harsh, it's an opinion which whilst not fully endorsing I can see that the points made all have a basis which I agree with.

However after 10 games played we were going to walk the title, after 20 we were going to be lucky to make top 4. Neither are really correct, but for the odd refereeing decision, misplaced shot, or slip at a crucial moment we would be top.

The league, this season, is not beyond us. But I agree with the main thrust of the article in that we will get better next season and the season after.

The future is looking decidedly blue

One point behind a second place Dipper squad that are basically formed and set as a team
(i.e. Tactically and personnel wise)
7 points behind a completely formed well coached Chelsea team with no CL games and a chip on their shoulder from last year.
I don't think your take was harsh, I just don't think it broke new ground.Maybe it was all lipstick and no heart.

Aside from our fullbacks, the biggest mistake was not buying a DM.
The best in the premier League, N'Golo Kanté, was available in the summer and we let him go to Chelsea for £32m. Since the end of September he has been unbelievably good.
I'm led to believe that we, along with most of the best clubs in Europe, had talks but we weren't prepared to pay that amount + the wage demands for a player unproven in Europe.
It's the biggest mistake since backing out from buying Hazard due to the agent wanting his cut.
It's taken a while, but Pep has finally realised that you need a player who dominates the second ball situation in the Premier League. Kanté is sublime at this - what's more he gets the pass away quickly to a player further up the field.

we bought and strengthened positions we needed to, you can't buy for all 11 in one window.

Plus we bought players who wouldn't be on the market next summer because they'd go elsewhere. When Chelsea are resorting to buying Marcos Alonso you can tell it's not the season to buy fullbacks, we missed the boat the year before when the likes of Alex Sandro & Kurzawa were moving. We'll be buying fullbacks now but looking at the next gen as the current crop aren't very good across Europe.

What will cost us the title is established stars like KDB & Kun missing easy chances in games we should have won.
Agree fully with the last sentence home games against EVERTON AND Chelsea PROVE THAT POINT CONCLUSIVELY

Not harsh at all Toma.
A high line defence with slow defenders and a keeper who is totally useless at closing down the long shot or on-on-one (the most common chance with give up from the combination of slow defenders and the high line) is just asking for trouble.
I think you might be right Blue we really do lack pace at the back. Still not sure about Bravo but starting to believe he may be a liability and won't improve at his age.
Nolito has been good in patches but can you trust him to stay on the pitch? Gundogan was looking like a bargain! Sane and Stones will come good but yeah overpriced just like 90% of our purchases. As for Jesus who knows but realistically we can't expect him to win us the league this season. Happy Christmas everybody!!!!

Aside from our fullbacks, the biggest mistake was not buying a DM.
The best in the premier League, N'Golo Kanté, was available in the summer and we let him go to Chelsea for £32m. Since the end of September he has been unbelievably good.
I'm led to believe that we, along with most of the best clubs in Europe, had talks but we weren't prepared to pay that amount + the wage demands for a player unproven in Europe.
It's the biggest mistake since backing out from buying Hazard due to the agent wanting his cut.
It's taken a while, but Pep has finally realised that you need a player who dominates the second ball situation in the Premier League. Kanté is sublime at this - what's more he gets the pass away quickly to a player further up the field.
Best in league? That will be Fernandinho - the reason we probably weren't in for Kante,despite 'what you're led to believe',lol.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.