Why haven’t Manchester City become the "super club" they should be?

The whole premise we should be world beaters now is, i think, opinion. For my money we are well on our way and as above, we are really motoring now. We had made steps towards it and have never really dropped off to much. If you assume it is a computer game then yeah it is easy but the real world is not so much.

We are right up there so don't really recognize the author of the article's assertion, i always had it down as 2020 as the time we are a making the likes of Madrid shit it and be on equal standing quality wise with them. Quicker is great but i am under no illusions as to how very hard it is to get to the very top.

Ag

Agreed rob.

There are some strange & seemingly angry & unhappy feckers on here who can't respond without being argumentative or calling posters out.

93-20 was when we should've kicked on but Marwood was more interested in undermining Bobby. We've marked time since then & everybody else has caught up.

Next season...... What do you think ?
With Txiki now doing his job, it looks like we will be playing some scintillating football. Whether it's enough to beat Conte's pragmatism we will find out. The youthful look to the side suggests we may be on track for plenty of silverware over the next decade.

Ag

Agreed rob.

There are some strange & seemingly angry & unhappy feckers on here who can't respond without being argumentative or calling posters out.

93-20 was when we should've kicked on but Marwood was more interested in undermining Bobby. We've marked time since then & everybody else has caught up.

Next season...... What do you think ?
There's also some strange and seemingly angry feckers on here who can't get over a manager getting sacked for having a shit season and falling out with everyone almost 5 years ago Quite a lot of them actually.

Our initial success was built on spending an unsustainable amount of money on players and wages, so it was always going to take a step back when while we adjusted to being a properly run football club (made almost impossible due to FFP). We needed that initial boost to get us to the level where we could get people to sign for us like they would any other huge club, which Mancini was perfect for, but then we needed to get things back to a more sustainable level, something Mancini wasn't remotely suited to.

Now we've taken our medicine and managed to stay fairly competitive while doing it and have now come out the other side and look to be in the perfect position to build ourselves properly. We've got rid of all the stupid contracts, most of the giant egos who were pretty financially motivated to move to us have gone, the ageing squad is being replaced and we now have the pull of a genuine huge club. We're targeting young players and we've got the academy truly up and running and ready to bear fruit in a couple of years. Everything is looking pretty fucking rosey

There's also some strange and seemingly angry feckers on here who can't get over a manager getting sacked for having a shit season and falling out with everyone almost 5 years ago Quite a lot of them actually.

Our initial success was built on spending an unsustainable amount of money on players and wages, so it was always going to take a step back when while we adjusted to being a properly run football club (made almost impossible due to FFP). We needed that initial boost to get us to the level where we could get people to sign for us like they would any other huge club, which Mancini was perfect for, but then we needed to get things back to a more sustainable level, something Mancini wasn't remotely suited to.

Now we've taken our medicine and managed to stay fairly competitive while doing it and have now come out the other side and look to be in the perfect position to build ourselves properly. We've got rid of all the stupid contracts, most of the giant egos who were pretty financially motivated to move to us have gone, the ageing squad is being replaced and we now have the pull of a genuine huge club. We're targeting young players and we've got the academy truly up and running and ready to bear fruit in a couple of years. Everything is looking pretty fucking rosey

If Bobby had been backed @ 93-20 he could've taken us through to the Pep years.

History it is....but what happened doesn't make it right.

Forza Mancini.......Viva Pepito.

If Bobby had been backed @ 93-20 he could've taken us through to the Pep years.

History it is....but what happened doesn't make it right.

Forza Mancini.......Viva Pepito.
Absolutely nothing in Bobbys managerial career to suggest that's true, not to mention that we couldn't afford to keep letting Bobby spend whatever he wanted anyway (not even getting into the players revolt and all the problems that would have caused). I truly don't care though, it's ancient history and people need to get over it.

Absolutely nothing in Bobbys managerial career to suggest that's true, not to mention that we couldn't afford to keep letting Bobby spend whatever he wanted anyway (not even getting into the players revolt and all the problems that would have caused). I truly don't care though, it's ancient history and people need to get over it.
+1
I really liked Mancini but tactically he made bizarre substitutions and from a man-management/motivational perspective he was terrible - extremely hard to work with and pissed off Tevez and others to no end.

To build a super-club it takes extremely good management and tons of money and some luck and if you're trying to become a super-club, FFP/spending-regulations certainly don't help.

Until now, our management has not been world class and our ability to attract top players has been hampered either - 6 years hence - by lack of success - and/or by lack of the ability to expend whatever it takes.

For me - the mega-clubs at this time are Real/Barca/Bayern - Juve/Atletico are a bit behind mostly due to lack of ability to spend huge - I think City is now poised to become a mega-club challenging Real/Barca/Bayern.

Last edited:

That's a very interesting anti Bobby view.

There's everything in Bobbys career at City to suggest that he would've continued to succeed if he'd have been backed @ 93-20.

We were 2nd in the PL & the players 'threw' a cup final with an inferior squad to the one Bobby built having had Rodwell,Garcia,Sinclair etc dumped on him by an envious Marwood.

Bobby also wanted to replace Joe Hart as no1 keeper which resulted in Joes treachery. He was also advising Adam Johnson about his nocturnal activities. Where are all those players now ? But YAYA,Dave,Kun etc ?

I'm well over it mate cos I support MANCHESTER CITY. But I do care about the manager who won the rag semi,who won the cup,won the league,gave us sick swan,tore the banner down & scared the pants shitting,govan piss can in front of the biggest audience to ever watch a Sky PL match.

I'm astonished that " I truely don't care" about the man who restored pride. Astonishing & disgraceful.

That's a very interesting anti Bobby view.

There's everything in Bobbys career at City to suggest that he would've continued to succeed if he'd have been backed @ 93-20.

We were 2nd in the PL & the players 'threw' a cup final with an inferior squad to the one Bobby built having had Rodwell,Garcia,Sinclair etc dumped on him by an envious Marwood.

Bobby also wanted to replace Joe Hart as no1 keeper which resulted in Joes treachery. He was also advising Adam Johnson about his nocturnal activities. Where are all those players now ? But YAYA,Dave,Kun etc ?

I'm well over it mate cos I support MANCHESTER CITY. But I do care about the manager who won the rag semi,who won the cup,won the league,gave us sick swan,tore the banner down & scared the pants shitting,govan piss can in front of the biggest audience to ever watch a Sky PL match.

I'm astonished that " I truely don't care" about the man who restored pride. Astonishing & disgraceful.
Seek help

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.