Work/Life Balance

Benarbia_is_god said:
21 years old now and have a year of uni left after this. Not sure what I want to do but I made a decision last year that I will not do a job I don't enjoy. I don't care how well paid it is, life is more important than having lots of money and as long as I can live a reasonably comfortable life I don't care how much I earn. If you like your work surely it becomes an enjoyable aspect of your life rather than work? I just don't think I could hack doing a job I hated for longer than 6 months!

You can say that now but unfortunately, unless you are happy to scrounge, you may well find yourself doing just that. I love your confidence but prepare yourself for the reality of life which I fear will come as a bit of a shock for you!<br /><br />-- Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:05 am --<br /><br />
Ronnie the Rep said:
Up at 4.30 this morning. Sitting in Heathrow

AGAIN!

Such is the lot of the Air Traffic Controller ;-)

I think the problem is that most people (including me) don't have a clue what they want to do with their lives past providing for their family.

'Live on a beach' is all well and good but it would quickly get boring and I think humans need work to provide adequate distraction and routine to keep their minds/body active and away from the real question which is: 'what's the point of all this?'

What saddens me though is that some people on this thread are looking ahead to their 50s when they're only in their 20s/30s. You simply can not plan that far ahead as you don't know what life will throw at you. If there are things you do really want to do you should do them right now while you're healthy and young. Otherwise you'll look back with regret.

The 4 hour work week is a good book by Tim Ferriss who talks of taking 'mini-retirements' to do what you've always wanted to, now.

Johnsonontheleft said:
Do you have a good work/life balance?

Most people don't enjoy their work, yet spend so much time working that they miss out on life. Do you sometimes sit and work and think: why am I not scuba diving in Australia? Or just enjoying life more than you currently are by doing different things?

I find it tragic how people work so hard in order to retire with as much money as possible, but by the time they've reached this 'goal' they're too old or too ill to enjoy it properly.

If you're young, surely NOW is the time to do the stuff you've always wanted to do. I understand that you need to do something that you enjoy and that is paid employment, but surely nobody enjoys working in a call centre all day like millions of young people do.

save up 20 grand or sell summat, go to Oz, buy a VW combi, and live around Byron Bay for 6 months, if your meagre you can live on that, stacks of half naked foreign chicks working there, loads of free bands on in the bars, nice surfy beaches, perfect weather.......If I was young and single thats what Id do.

Up at 6am home about 8pm ... barely able to afford my rent+bills and i have a decent job compared to other people i know

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.