Work/Life Balance

I've been self employed for 6 months now and my only regret is I didn't do it 10 years earlier. My work/life balance is much better than it ever was at as an employee of a company.

GazC said:
I've been self employed for 6 months now and my only regret is I didn't do it 10 years earlier. My work/life balance is much better than it ever was at as an employee of a company.
Same
4 years in as my own boss and it's brilliant.
Income gone up 300%, time off when I decide and the only prick I have to answer to is the ugly twat in the mirror!
What's not to like?

RandomJ said:
It's a nice idea enjoying your time while your young but the world doesn't work like that. You need money for pretty much everything so unless you have rich parents or win the lottery you need to work to get it and that's when you become trapped.

I have become pissed off with the monotony of things though so im currently saving and am going travelling next year but that's only temporary and will have to get another job and start it all over again. I guess the only hope is you find a job that's enjoyable and fulfilling.

That's true, I could choose not to work but I wouldn't be able to afford to do anything great.

GazC said:

Same here. Self-employed for 10 years (music industry). Love the ability to manage my own time, but not sure I've done enough to ensure a comfortable future. Rode the gravy train for quite a few years and had fun but last few years have been really tough. The highs are great, but the lows can be a real shock. That said, I would advise anybody to try it if the opportunity arises.

RandomJ said:
It's a nice idea enjoying your time while your young but the world doesn't work like that. You need money for pretty much everything so unless you have rich parents or win the lottery you need to work to get it and that's when you become trapped.

I have become pissed off with the monotony of things though so im currently saving and am going travelling next year but that's only temporary and will have to get another job and start it all over again. I guess the only hope is you find a job that's enjoyable and fulfilling.

So very unfortunately true. Easy to say 'work less, live more', but unless you can afford the living, you better make sure you can do the working. That isn't however to be confused with the big con that you need to be rich to enjoy life.

I'm pretty fortunate in that I by and large enjoy my job. I work a little more than I'd like (Mon-Fri 9-6), I'd love to work a 4 day week which I could probably afford to do if I went freelance (which also has its tradeoffs). But I don't dread going into work, I work with great people in a nice place, rarely get home feeling like I've been stamped on all day. That's really what people should be looking for IMO. It's not about working less, it's about doing something you enjoy. So many people just fall into the same old shit jobs with the same old excuses about why they can't look anywhere else, or do anything else. You may not become a millionaire doing something you like but suck it up.

adrianr said:
So very unfortunately true. Easy to say 'work less, live more', but unless you can afford the living, you better make sure you can do the working. That isn't however to be confused with the big con that you need to be rich to enjoy life.

I'm pretty fortunate in that I by and large enjoy my job. I work a little more than I'd like (Mon-Fri 9-6), I'd love to work a 4 day week which I could probably afford to do if I went freelance (which also has its tradeoffs). But I don't dread going into work, I work with great people in a nice place, rarely get home feeling like I've been stamped on all day. That's really what people should be looking for IMO. It's not about working less, it's about doing something you enjoy. So many people just fall into the same old shit jobs with the same old excuses about why they can't look anywhere else, or do anything else. You may not become a millionaire doing something you like but suck it up.

Couldn't agree more. In my previous job I used to wish the week away waiting for weekend. It was as if Mon-Fri didn't exist and I just had to get through it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.