Joey Barton

What' shocked me about this is not that Barton has done something so wrong as I wouldn't expect anything different from the little shit but that the media seem determined to defend him. Even sensible and intelligent journalists like Henry Winter are claiming that an 18 month ban is too harsh and that he has a point about the proliferation of betting companies and their relationship with football. Even if he has (and it's not an unfair point) this has nothing to do with the way he consistently and knowingly broke strict rules over a long period. It's a typical Barton "it's someone else's fault" deflection.
Well, he IS a scouser.

What' shocked me about this is not that Barton has done something so wrong as I wouldn't expect anything different from the little shit but that the media seem determined to defend him. Even sensible and intelligent journalists like Henry Winter are claiming that an 18 month ban is too harsh and that he has a point about the proliferation of betting companies and their relationship with football. Even if he has (and it's not an unfair point) this has nothing to do with the way he consistently and knowingly broke strict rules over a long period. It's a typical Barton "it's someone else's fault" deflection.

The Gambling conglomerates are so closely associated to the media that I'd expect nothing else, the journos know exactly which side there bread is buttered!!

I must admit mate,I'm purely an outsider when it comes to personal information about players etc etc,that is why I like to read what yourself and close others say at certain situations,but looking at that list of bets £2's and fivers,i mean hardly doing fortunes in,and also appears he was losing more than he won,a lot like me !!

But we all know his general background,he is what he is,but to be punished so severely for this when countless others have and probably are still doing it now,I think it's quite harsh.

I was only listening to Charlie Dimmock chatting with Boiled Bollock on Talkshite a few week back and he was talking about the betting aspect whilst he was playing,along with a few others in that particular team he was playing in,they were lumping big,but like I say,although they are in a far more privilidged position than most of us,he's been made a bit of a scapegoat here
At the end of the day they've made an example of this. They've basically said 'bet on your own professional sport and there's a real good chance you'll be ending your career'. I've no problem with this. It's always a bit shitty if you happen to be the one chosen when the precedents set - but that's life. Set the punishment too low and nothing changes.

The argument that the punishment's severe because loads of people have got away with a similar thing makes no difference. That's like complaining to the courts that your speeding fine is too excessive or unfair on the basis that you know tons of other people who speed and don't get caught.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.