Sergio Aguero - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's still a very fine player, but if you ask me who is the most important of City's strikers I would say Jesus. We finished with a decent number of goals scored but goal scoring was a problem until Jesus played and then they really flowed. I am not interested in total goals scored but in league goals. Aguero's record this season in terms of league goals scored was good. Good but not exceptional. No one can afford to rest on their laurels and City's finishing could be a lot better.

Next season will be interesting then. If Jesus is as good as you think he is we will have 2 strikers who will score over 50 goals between them. I find it difficult to back Jesus over Aguero without much in the way of evidence. Jesus looks to be a great prospect but better than Kun in 17/18 I doubt it. We will see.

With Jesus on the field Pep's high press/win the ball back quickly if possible defense was always on display. And we dominated (though that might have been down to poor opposition in these games).

For whatever reason, during our poor form spell when Jesus was injured - the high press seemed to disappear - instead, when the ball turned over, we'd run back and try to assume a good defensive posture - this didn't work out very well.
=============
Can Kun participate in a high-press offense if Jesus is injured? - I don't know. If Pep doesn't think so - then Kun is done. He'll be sold this window almost certainly. Pep gets rid of misfits regardless of talent (e.g., Ibra, Eto).

That said - Kun seems to have upped his game at the close of the season - much more energetic and wiling to press more.
==============
Probably Kun stays but it wouldn't surprise me if he's sold with some other top striker coming in.
===============
Edit - this isn't to say that I don't rate Kun.

I think that Kun is likely the 3rd top pure striker in world footaball - Suarez and Lewandowski ahead of him.

But it's about Pep - if Pep doesn't think that Kun fits his high press system, then he's done.

Very good video that illustrates some fundamental problems with Kun's game in Guardiola's system.

Very good video that illustrates some fundamental problems with Kun's game in Guardiola's system.

At present, Kun isn't optimal for Pep's system. He's never in his career needed to counter-press - and for me that's his major weakness.

But he seems more than willing to adapt his game - he's been decent/good/great when Jesus was injured and at the close of the season when Jesus came back into our side he showed that he can work with Jesus in Pep's system.
==========
Will Kun stay?

I kind of think so - and definitely hope so - but if Pep doesn't think that Kun can play his counter-press system he's out.

For me - Kun has never been as challenged in his career as under Pep. He can coast by in practice, not exerting himself, and in games, simply get the ball and score - under Pep, this isn't nearly enough.

One thing's for sure - if Pep isn't satisfied with Kun - then Kun is gone.

This is spot on. I keep hearing in the media about Pep not liking Kun for his lack of pressing, but for me it's more about his 1st touch and link up play. We could have been in on goal so many more times if he linked up better. I look at the goal against West Brom where he played a little touch into De Bruyne who then crossed it to Jesus. That's what we need more from him. I do give him credit for trying more though. I think we will keep him and may have to adjust. We may see a line up with Jesus and Kun both in the squad, but when teams press or mark Yaya and it's the job of the striker to drop deeper to receive the ball, we may see Kun and Jesus switch with Jesus in the middle. However I think in big games like Barca last season we may see him dropped esp. if Sanchez were to arrive. That may not go down well with him, but Pep likes to keep the ball and I can imagine his frustration on how may times we gave it away last season. (Picking up Bernardo was a great bit of business btw).

I've re-watched this - I think I've changed my mind. Although Kun isn't high energy - which leads me to believe that his major problem is lack of effort in Pep's counter-press - perhaps this isn't Kun's biggest weakness after all - Kun can play intricate one-twos for sure. Very near the box, he'll often pass to Silva or Toure, beat his man, and get a chip/pass to create seemingly out of nowhere - but maybe he doesn't link up in general attacking play with enough consistency.

Kun is undoubtedly a far better finisher than Jesus at this point in their careers - but our offense looks far better with Jesus in our lineup - yes, Jesus has played against relatively weak competition and this is a factor - nonetheless - with Jesus in, our offense flows. With Kun in, it often bogs down.

You just need to look at Jesus’ game against Argentina last game and see how his link up play is top notch already and he could still improve. He created a lot of chances just from 1-2 passes. But at the end of the season Aguero was really turning it up a notch. I have high hopes for him still and if he does leave I hope he’ll be City’s all time top goalscorer by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.