Post Match Thread: Election 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
And to think Theresa May started out by saying (effectively) governing for the many not the few, saw her lead accelerate to +20 points and then decided to say she'd take peoples' homes off them, stop increasing their pensions, take their winter fuel allowance off some of them and make kids go hungry at school. What a complete cretin she is.

This is the point. May was one of the more centrist Tory leaders until she put out a stunningly stupid manifesto and dodged debates.

If she'd have stuck to her guns we'd still be talking a 100 seat majority. Saying centrist politics always wins shouldn't even be that controversial, it's common sense

Use the search facility and see that everyone said that seven years ago as well.

Everyone repeating it is starting to sound like the scousers "next year is our year"

Not really. As a labour voter, i'm not sure another election with a better Tory leader would have a great outcome from my perspective so it's not something i'm necessarily hoping will happen. If I were a Tory i'd want a new leader and another election asap. It looks like this voting block might only have a majority of two and a significant number of Tories want May out. It's very hard to see it lasting 5 years. I think they'll really struggle to get much done at all in the next couple of years. I mean they can hardly count on Ken Clarke, so we're already down to one. Having to sacrifice their hard Brexit to go into a partnership with the DUP when it gives very little guarantee they can push through their agenda hardly seems worth it.

Would also add, they may have underestimated the level of opposition this deal with DUP will face. It's a step too far for many.

Yeah I thought I heard him say they wanted a total separation from the EU against the wishes of the Irish voters....I had it on in the background so wasn't paying much attention

Weren't they discussing the suggestion of a special arrangement for NI whereby it remained in the single market after the rest of UK left? Didnt he say that if the rest of the UK opted for a hard brexit that had to cover NI too (albeit with a "soft border").

Ok. Try this. Blair's vote share was 1% higher.

Because he fought in a three party system where the Lib Dems got 5 million votes.

If New Labour were invented today with Blair at it's helm, he would have walked the election. I'm fact he might have gotten 18 million votes

I give it 2 months. We'll all be back at the polls by October.
Nope. No election till after the boundary change in 2018. That means after Brexit too.
Not sure May will remain as Prime Minister though. The meeting of the new 1922 committee next week could be extremely brutal. The Tories do tend to indulge in Regicide on perceived failure.
Whoever becomes leader - probably David Davis - will have a lot going for them if they move the Party to the left to be "One Nation Tories" again. Especially if facing the unelectable Corbyn who let's be honest won't be going anywhere unless he sees the problem many voters have with him.

This is the point. May was one of the more centrist Tory leaders until she put out a stunningly stupid manifesto and dodged debates.

If she'd have stuck to her guns we'd still be talking a 100 seat majority. Saying centrist politics always wins shouldn't even be that controversial, it's common sense

I totally agree with you. The vast majority of people in this country are not heartless fascists, nor would-be marxists. They believe in decent public services and fair taxation. They do not want our NHS falling to bits, but equally they do not want people punished for being successful.

Any Tory or Labour party that appeals to that audience, walks it.

Ok. Try this. Blair's vote share was 1% higher.

So what? This is all noises off.

Politics is being re-set, from now on the opposition will be different from the government, not a mirror image of it. That's a good thing, otherwise it's Tweedledee or Tweedledum forever and people are sick of it.

Not sure what you heard mate, but the DUP are strongly in favor of a soft Brexit. They campaigned under that banner for this election. Their leader in particular, Arlene Foster, campaigned for Remain.

This article sums it up pretty well - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...portant-democratic-unionist-party-could-hold/
To be fair that doesn't give much away apart from they don't want a hard border between North and South it mentions pensions and winter fuel payments but not much more...it does say the leader was a remainer but it says this was based on the soft border being retained

After accusing Corbyn of being a terrorists sympathiser May gets into bed with terrorist sympathisers. Oh, they're homophobes and anti women's rights too.
This country is great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.