Post Match Thread: Election 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure you are right. As I say, I mentioned it only half tongue-in-cheek.

I do wonder how some of the Labour centrist MPs are feeling this morning though? Pleasantly pleased and surprised, or monumentally pissed off.

Their careers are effectively over unless they are willing to completely abandon their principles, integrity and credibility and support policies they clearly do not believe in. I expect many of them will be leaving parliament to pursue other interests.

Use the search facility and see that everyone said that seven years ago as well.

Everyone repeating it is starting to sound like the scousers "next year is our year"
It's really not the same thing though. In 2010 the coalition had 363 seats between them and there was a formal arrangement. This one has 328 and no formal agreement. Any time 6 of her MP's vote against anything she loses, anytime she says no to the unionists, she loses. Not only that, if any six fall ill, miss their train or go on holiday, she loses.

So what? This is all noises off.

Politics is being re-set, from now on the opposition will be different from the government, not a mirror image of it. That's a good thing, otherwise it's Tweedledee or Tweedledum forever and people are sick of it.

I am not sure that your personal conclusion that the party will decide that this defeat was a good result and therefore to carry as before, is yet proven?

Not really. As a labour voter, i'm not sure another election with a better Tory leader would have a great outcome from my perspective so it's not something i'm necessarily hoping will happen. If I were a Tory i'd want a new leader and another election asap. It looks like this voting block might only have a majority of two and a significant number of Tories want May out. It's very hard to see it lasting 5 years. I think they'll really struggle to get much done at all in the next couple of years. I mean they can hardly count on Ken Clarke, so we're already down to one. Having to sacrifice their hard Brexit to go into a partnership with the DUP when it gives very little guarantee they can push through their agenda hardly seems worth it.

Would also add, they may have underestimated the level of opposition this deal with DUP will face. It's a step too far for many.
There's a difference between ousting May which I think will happen and having another general election which I don't think will happen.

Because he fought in a three party system where the Lib Dems got 5 million votes.

If New Labour were invented today with Blair at it's helm, he would have walked the election. I'm fact he might have gotten 18 million votes
I voted him first chance I had so you're preaching to the converted. I'm just saying his vote share was only 1% higher than May received last night which is accurate.

This is the point. May was one of the more centrist Tory leaders until she put out a stunningly stupid manifesto and dodged debates.

If she'd have stuck to her guns we'd still be talking a 100 seat majority. Saying centrist politics always wins shouldn't even be that controversial, it's common sense

No you wouldn't. I have three kids aged between 18 and 23 ........i have never ever seen them so motivated so politically aware ... the last few weeks have all been about politics and yesterday they all voted for the first time. They all voted labour... despite their mums efforts.

Times are changing and our kids will sort a country that cares for its people in the future rather than a country that is run by people who just want to line their own pockets

I am not sure that your personal conclusion that the party will decide that this defeat was a good result and therefore to carry as before, is yet proven?

You do my head in, look at the labour party today! Look at the membership! The MPs, the media coverage, this is everything Labour supporters could have hoped for short of victory and victory was never a real possibility.

There's a difference between ousting May which I think will happen and having another general election which I don't think will happen.

Just can't believe taking charge of a minority government propped up by that shower is that much of an attractive prospect. Especially when they absolutely won't allow the hard brexit many of the heir apparents want. No need to get too bogged down in arguing about it though as we'll just see for ourselves.

It's really not the same thing though. In 2010 the coalition had 363 seats between them and there was a formal arrangement. This one has 328 and no formal agreement. Any time 6 of her MP's vote against anything she loses, anytime she says no to the unionists, she loses. Not only that, if any six fall ill, miss their train or go on holiday, she loses.
You're ignoring the fact SF never take their seats in that but I don't understand your point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.