MCFC U-18's

Led to believe Duncan wants play time as early as next season, we arent playing hard ball but have told him that is lower in the pecking order than he thinks, but we do see alot of potential

The problem I think is that it is reported that Eric Garcia is due to start training with the first team in January and Duncan once tore Garcia a new one in an England, so is using that as a yard stick to say if he is getting the opportunity then so should I

Course Garcia will be training with the first team every now and then. He's an u18. All our u18s do. Matondo has already, and so would've Duncan if he had been playing regularly.

edit - fwiw, Garcia looks great from what I've seen of him. However I've not seen anything of Duncan this year cos he's not played cos of his own reasoning, so go figure.

Liverpool are banned from signing any academy players that have been registered to a PL club the last 18 months for 2 years I think. So either he signs a contract or in quite the limbo.

Course Garcia will be training with the first team every now and then. He's an u18. All our u18s do. Matondo has already, and so would've Duncan if he had been playing regularly.

edit - fwiw, Garcia looks great from what I've seen of him. However I've not seen anything of Duncan this year cos he's not played cos of his own reasoning, so go figure.

From what I’ve been told the club rate Duncan as highly as Gonzalez right now never mind potential, however attitudes are vastly different, Gonzalez knows he’s good but has a lot of work to do, and even if he doesnt make it here, he knows full well that he is in the best place possible to develop his technique and tactical awareness to make a very good living for himself.

Whereas I’m told that Duncan thinks he’s good enough to be considered a jewel in the academy crown and should be fast tracked right away, and if City dont think he is ready yet then he will go somewhere that does.

I wouldnt worry by the way if anyone who isnt familiar with the academy is reading this, we have players such as Benni Smales-Braithwate coming through who play up front and are a cut above all other strikers in his age group, going further down the age groups is Charlie McNeil who is a mixture of Shearer and Sheringham with the defensive attitude of Jesus (havent seen him play by the way just what im told) high praise indeed for a fooking 13 year old

As well with Sancho, you just have to look at Matondo, Ogunby, Garre, Wright-Phillips, McAtee to know that players with Sancho’s potential are not a one off for us, Sancho is class though to be fair and it’s a shame for City but fair play to him

From what I’ve been told the club rate Duncan as highly as Gonzalez right now never mind potential, however attitudes are vastly different, Gonzalez knows he’s good but has a lot of work to do, and even if he doesnt make it here, he knows full well that he is in the best place possible to develop his technique and tactical awareness to make a very good living for himself.

Whereas I’m told that Duncan thinks he’s good enough to be considered a jewel in the academy crown and should be fast tracked right away, and if City dont think he is ready yet then he will go somewhere that does.

I wouldnt worry by the way if anyone who isnt familiar with the academy is reading this, we have players such as Benni Smales-Braithwate coming through who play up front and are a cut above all other strikers in his age group, going further down the age groups is Charlie McNeil who is a mixture of Shearer and Sheringham with the defensive attitude of Jesus (havent seen him play by the way just what im told) high praise indeed for a fooking 13 year old

As well with Sancho, you just have to look at Matondo, Ogunby, Garre, Wright-Phillips, McAtee to know that players with Sancho’s potential are not a one off for us, Sancho is class though to be fair and it’s a shame for City but fair play to him

I think Gonzalez is very good but definitely not a guaranteed superstar in the making. One of those that sits below the real elite ones in my personal opinion. If City see him at that level, then that's a fair enough view. I've only seen Duncan a few times, and though he strikes me as an exceptionally good finisher, he actually doesn't also strike me as a man who will beat people and produce moments of incredible magic - which is probs what you look out for at this level tbh. However, I've seen him about 4 times for a total of 70 minutes max...so not much. He's not particularly strong, tall or fast, which isn't the worse thing, but its something to consider. He'd have to pretty special to be better than Nabil, who I think seems pretty exceptional for the u18s at the moment. Powerful, fast, two footed, taller, stronger, great vision and a helluva finisher too.

I've heard a lot about Benni too. I don't think we're gonna lack for talented strikers tbh. Duncan's probably got ahead of himself, but if so, so be it.

so sancho is gone and it looks like from what I'm reading duncan swell. duncan imo is going to end up playing at a really high level swell. its really disappointing, we seem to be losing all of our best young players, lots seem to be english swell. on the other hand its not a surprise there is no path into the first team. i can't see foden or diaz getting any game time this year even in the cups. then they'll probably be sent out on loan for a years after that. we need start actually giving players a chance, that should start with foden. coming off the bench or playing cup games. even players on loan now like maffeo, garcia i can't see them ever playing for our first team with the players in front of them

its looking like players are using our academy until they are about 18 then leaving to actually get a chance somewhere else

Last edited:
so sancho is gone and it looks like from what I'm reading duncan swell. duncan imo is going to end up playing at a really high level swell. its really disappointing, we seem to be losing all of our best young players, lots seem to be english swell. on the other hand its not a surprise there is no path into the first team. i can't see foden or diaz getting any game time this year even in the cups. then they'll probably be sent out on loan for a years after that. we need start actually giving players a chance, that should start with foden. coming off the bench or playing cup games. even players on loan now like maffeo, garcia i can't see them ever playing for our first team with the players in front of them

its looking like players are using our academy until they are about 18 then leaving to actually get a chance somewhere else

Definitely not lost all our talents. We have shedloads. This is just two of many, many. Defo something city should try and address though.

Also, swell is a helluva annoying word. No offence meant :)

I think Gonzalez is very good but definitely not a guaranteed superstar in the making. One of those that sits below the real elite ones in my personal opinion. If City see him at that level, then that's a fair enough view. I've only seen Duncan a few times, and though he strikes me as an exceptionally good finisher, he actually doesn't also strike me as a man who will beat people and produce moments of incredible magic - which is probs what you look out for at this level tbh. However, I've seen him about 4 times for a total of 70 minutes max...so not much. He's not particularly strong, tall or fast, which isn't the worse thing, but its something to consider. He'd have to pretty special to be better than Nabil, who I think seems pretty exceptional for the u18s at the moment. Powerful, fast, two footed, taller, stronger, great vision and a helluva finisher too.

I've heard a lot about Benni too. I don't think we're gonna lack for talented strikers tbh. Duncan's probably got ahead of himself, but if so, so be it.

Nabil Touaizi does look really good, from what I’ve heard Duncan is meant to be very very good at dribbling so interesting that in the appearances you have seen him he hasnt shown it, just shows that what you do in training doesnt always manifest itself on the pitch!

What is your opinion on Keyendrah Simmonds? Heard good things 2 years/18 months ago and then its all gone quiet

I know it has been said many, many, many times but the required standard for academy players has increased, therefore only the best of the best will get proper chances

Foden and Diaz will 100% get minutes this season, I would imagine both would have gotten on against West Brom had they not resorted to systematically fouling everyone in the second half

As well, due to players requiring minutes there wasnt any other chance to give Foden or Diaz minutes thus far, however now both international breaks are out of the way and a hectic schedule coming up both will get on the pitch no doubt about that.

Adarabioyo and Zinchenko will also get minutes at some point to, there is a time and a place to give them football, Diaz only turned 18 in August and Foden only turned 17 in May

Buckley-Ricketts is considered a future first teamer too, in the mould of Sterling so he should get minutes next season loan depending, he has been on the bench mainly for Twente this season, but again it is early in the season.

Latibeaudiere and Francis are very good defenders, who if they carry on with their current trajectory, will get minutes towards the end of this season/next season.

The problem we have, is that our very best academy players are still very young and raw, to just throw them in randomly could be damaging.

With regards to losing Sancho and possibly Duncan, worry not. These players are no longer one offs and there are comparable players in every age group at City, the further down the age groups you go the higher the potential seems to be.

When Borrell was head of technical coaching he said we wont see proper results from the academy until 2020, whereby I can guarentee the churn will be unprecedented in football.

Nabil Touaizi does look really good, from what I’ve heard Duncan is meant to be very very good at dribbling so interesting that in the appearances you have seen him he hasnt shown it, just shows that what you do in training doesnt always manifest itself on the pitch!

What is your opinion on Keyendrah Simmonds? Heard good things 2 years/18 months ago and then its all gone quiet

From what I've heard Simmonds has had quite a lot of injury troubles lately so that might be why. You seem to know a thing or two, what's your honest opinion on the Sancho case?

From what I've heard Simmonds has had quite a lot of injury troubles lately so that might be why. You seem to know a thing or two, what's your honest opinion on the Sancho case?

The lad wanted more minutes than City could guarentee, we invited him on the tour he said no, we said we will withdraw the contract, he said ok see you later

The club dont take kindly to being held to ransom by a player who has played 0 professional minutes and only turned 17 in March, we offered him everything he asked for, other than the minutes.

We did offer him some minutes let that be said, he would have made around 10 appearances all told I reckon with the minutes we were offering (at least 450 minutes)

Diaz and Foden were offered the same and were made up with that, I can also imagine both of them smashing that many minutes this year.

Without my blue tinted specs on, the lad left to play professional football not for money. You cant knock that.

You can knock the way he went about leaving

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.