Attack by Napoli fans.

Complete and utter bollocks. “Doing your own thing away from the crowds” is absolutely the worst possible thing a visiting fan can do in Naples. Have you not read this fucking thread? Every single incident involved greater numbers of Napoli fans attacking smaller numbers of City fans, many of whom were “keeping their heads down” and were isolated from where the main body of blues were. It’s no coincidence that the hundreds of City fans who stuck together in the port area didn’t encounter any problems there with no Napoli fans daring to kick off with them. You can’t even begin to compare it to somewhere like Dortmund or Munich and assume that what is relatively safe to do in those cities is safe to do in Naples. That’s naive in the extreme.

Whilst I agree that Naples isn’t quite the same as Porto away, I’d still say that keeping your head down and staying away from groups singing, flag hanging etc would serve you better if you’re looking to avoid any sort of trouble.

The post he was replying to even stated that a Napoli supporter asked them to take the flag down. That request was denied. The trouble then escalated from that.

I went 1st time around with my wife. We kept our heads down and only met up with fellow blues at the port area. Had no trouble. After game, didn’t drink where blues were congregated and walked all the way back to our hotel with no issues. Not saying it wasn’t scary because it was as you could feel there was sly Napoli fans about, nevertheless we got back safe and had a beer at the hotel.

Whilst I agree that Naples isn’t quite the same as Porto away, I’d still say that keeping your head down and staying away from groups singing, flag hanging etc would serve you better if you’re looking to avoid any sort of trouble.

The post he was replying to even stated that a Napoli supporter asked them to take the flag down. That request was denied. The trouble then escalated from that.

I went 1st time around with my wife. We kept our heads down and only met up with fellow blues at the port area. Had no trouble. After game, didn’t drink where blues were congregated and walked all the way back to our hotel with no issues. Not saying it wasn’t scary because it was as you could feel there was sly Napoli fans about, nevertheless we got back safe and had a beer at the hotel.

I can assure you this person was no "fan". Even the bar staff had no problem with the banner and they told the guy to go away, bearing in mind this bar was about 5-6 miles from the stadium an very busy with passing locals and tourists who were happy to talk and some even wanted pictures. We weren't singing either, just walking to the buses by the port when we were ambushed by 10-12 tooled up wankers.

I can assure you this person was no "fan". Even the bar staff had no problem with the banner and they told the guy to go away, bearing in mind this bar was about 5-6 miles from the stadium an very busy with passing locals and tourists who were happy to talk and some even wanted pictures. We weren't singing either, just walking to the buses by the port when we were ambushed by 10-12 tooled up wankers.
Bar staff thought money. You were flying a flag. It should be fun but sometimes it's not cos of dickheads. So you choose how to play the game. I wouldn't fly a flag.

And just because you didn’t get any mither, doesn’t mean that it’s safe to wander off the beaten track and away from the main body of fans. You’ve seen the stories on here and at no point were there any attacks on large groups of blues. I’ll add another one - a mate of mine who was with 4 others, including a 67 year old, was chased after getting dropped off after the match.

As for this flag business, seriously why the hell should anyone take a flag down when the bar owner has no issue with it and it’s a bar located in the area where City fans were advised to drink anyway? And using that as an excuse for the trouble escalating is bollocks as blues were attacked the night before as well. So if the flag was taken down, Napoli hooligans across the city would’ve been stood down and no-one would’ve been picked off later on? Come off it mate.

Bar staff thought money. You were flying a flag. It should be fun but sometimes it's not cos of dickheads. So you choose how to play the game. I wouldn't fly a flag.

It’s a fucking flag - fans all over Europe take them on their travels, including Napoli fans. Tell you what, why don’t you go the whole hog and tell City fans none of them should’ve travelled out there? While you’re at it, blame those blues for being in Mary D’s when Napoli fans attacked it the other week.

Normally, the best part of a european trip is the first couple of hours when you meet old friends and colleagues, or people you remember from Maine Road, or specific away games and service stations.

You reminisce over the good times and it’s generally a relaxing ambience.

However, the mood slowly darkens The pub becomes too full, and you start to notice a tenser, more inflammatory atmosphere. (and let's be honest, we do have our fair share of idiots).

I’ve sensed that mood swing in Poznan, Plzen, Santander, and even the TNS game in Cardiff.

You decide to find another pub, but in Naples, that’s the worst thing you could possibly do. You’re being watched, and the locals prey on your lapsed concentration.

Far better to either stay with the crowd, or as others have stated, avoid the whole scene from the moment you arrive.

Like everyone else, I was annoyed with the post match disinterest from the Police, but on reflection, it’s arguably their only way to cope with a predominantly lawless matchday experience. They promise to guarantee your safety, but there comes a point, when you wonder which set of fans are being punished.
I'm glad I travelled, but I won't be returning.

Mate, I’m not deliberately making out that what happened was all your fault and suggesting for one minute that you deserved to be chased by some prick with a knife.

However, you cannot seriously tell me that you did not know about how Napoli away is amongst the most dodgy of away games your ever likely to go to.

Whether this bloke who asked you to take your flag down was a “fan” is probably debatable but he was someone who in all likelyness lives in the city and is proud of being a neopolitan. Therefore he and his ilk will take offence to English/Mancunian flags being put up in what’s their city.

All I’m saying is that maybe it’s have been a bit more savvy if you not to be in an area with city flags, singing etc. I know it doesn’t sound like a good time and you’ve paid to go and see your team so a good time is the least you’d/I’d expect. But Napoli away? C’mon, you know it’s not like Porto away and flags etc are likely to attract violence.

Italians too, sly as they come so leaving the area where the singing and flag hanging was what they were probably waiting for.

Glad you got away from the coward with the knife by the way.

And just because you didn’t get any mither, doesn’t mean that it’s safe to wander off the beaten track and away from the main body of fans. You’ve seen the stories on here and at no point were there any attacks on large groups of blues. I’ll add another one - a mate of mine who was with 4 others, including a 67 year old, was chased after getting dropped off after the match.

As for this flag business, seriously why the hell should anyone take a flag down when the bar owner has no issue with it and it’s a bar located in the area where City fans were advised to drink anyway? And using that as an excuse for the trouble escalating is bollocks as blues were attacked the night before as well. So if the flag was taken down, Napoli hooligans across the city would’ve been stood down and no-one would’ve been picked off later on? Come off it mate.

Exactly, there was going to be trouble regardless, the Napoli hooligans picked off stragglers and took liberties, they didn't care about age or whether they were male or female.

Saw the good, bad and ugly in Naples (no offence @Macc Blue), mostly ugly and of all the places I've been watching City home or away this was the pits, worse than Kiev, worse than Millwall, horrible place and a minor miracle there weren't more reports of Blues getting a serious dig.
Had a decent meal or two and some good laughs, obviously seeing Sergio getting that goal was the best bit but won't be saying Arrvederci any time soon.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.