Long distance fans

Laughable, and, if I am honest, quite pathetic.

I live on the south coast, have a season ticket and have had that for the last 20 years, barring a couple due to restricted finances. There's ALWAYS been plenty of Blues down here that travel to games, ones that I have known for decades, since before I got my season ticket. Most of us have some sort of familial connection to Manchester, though you, and others wouldn't take that into consideration, whilst looking down your noses at us. Snobbery of the worst kind.
I started by saying people would be uncomfortable with this.
I never said you had to justify your choice of clubs. I like you I am entitled to an opinion and there is no need to slag me off.
I genuinely don't get it why some people choose to support clubs who they have no connection to.
If your dad or uncle or who ever gave you your affilliation great.
I was just posting my opinion and you are entitled to yours.
And if you are calling a kid from Wythenshawe a snob you know very little about Manchester!

Blue for 50 years. Live in South East. Lived previously in South West. Now a season ticket holder. The rest of you are lightweights!

I have to say the new glory hunting fans from abroad get on my wick,it's all a computer game to them with endless stats with no understanding or passion for the game orthe club,sorry you did ask

Writing a piece for FourFourTwo on long distance fans and wanted to gauge posters' opinion on the subject.

Are they any less of a fan than a regular match-goer who lives locally? Are they less connected to the club?

I'm aware there are some who think people should support their local club no matter who they are. Would love to hear from someone who has that view or similar.

I live locally and have few excuses for not attending games , so the people who travel hundreds of miles at great expense to attend our are to be applauded imo.

I know supporters who travel from Weymouth for every home and away game , which is truly fantastic support and have my total admiration.

I have to say the new glory hunting fans from abroad get on my wick,it's all a computer game to them with endless stats with no understanding or passion for the game orthe club,sorry you did ask
This is an interesting post and it’s why people should stop complaining about the media. As everyone knows, it’s all about clicks and links for online publications and the reason they love the Dippers and rags is they have these glory hunting fans from all over the globe. If we get them, we’ll get a fawning press. If people would rather they stayed away, that doesn’t then fit with complaining about the limited coverage we get.

Blue for 60+ years. Now live near Boston, Lincs and anyone who travels over from here is a real blue. Horrendous journey. I am staying in New Zealand for a month and trying to follow City live is pretty crap. Trying to work out the time difference for each different kick off time is ridiculous and then having to set the alarm to get up and follow on text and Radio Manc with no live pictures. I know you can get live streams but we have no wifi and they take a huge amount of data. So anyone following City from over here has to be a real fan. Back in time for the last game of the season though :)

I think a lot of people will be a little uncomfortable with this subject.
As a Mancunian I never really had much of a choice to make.
All my family were blues so I was brought up supporting my local team.
I will say there was a real sense of comaradery when we were in the lower divisions and nearly all the blues at the games home or away were Mancs
There is also a feeling of serving your time in the lower divisions and backing the club when we were crap.
Whilst I accept the club wants and needs all the fans they can get, if I am honest I find it difficult to see the logic in supporting a club just because they are successful.
I am also am slightly saddened when I meet someone in a City top and then when they speak they do so in some sort of strange accent. I certainly feel less of an affiliation with them.
We slagged off the rags for so long about this, old habits are hard to break.
There are quite a few of us still about that were at games in those days that weren't and aren't mancs.

This is my take on it, with glory hunting being the key term. I don't doubt that there were certainly some foreign fans who were there when times were tough and they have my absolute admiration, to live elsewhere in the world and be so passionate about the club from afar. I like to call glory hunters "The FIFA Generation". I categorise those people as being teens/twenties, and having had no interest in the club prior to 2008, and their pull to the club being that we suddenly had all the best players.

This is an interesting post and it’s why people should stop complaining about the media. As everyone knows, it’s all about clicks and links for online publications and the reason they love the Dippers and rags is they have these glory hunting fans from all over the globe. If we get them, we’ll get a fawning press. If people would rather they stayed away, that doesn’t then fit with complaining about the limited coverage we get.

That is true but there is a big price to pay for that kind of media recognition.
The rags sold their soul to get into that position and I think it was to great a price to pay.

I don't think anyone wants the media to fawn over us just give us a fair go which we don't often get now,i know we have to have fans from abroad and some of them followed us when we were shit but the more recent ones i can't chat with as i don't wants stats thrown at me i want to hear passion and love for the club and the team

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.