Ilkay Gundogan - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know i will get shot down but....
firstly I think he is a very gifted footballer with a range of passing and particularly effective around the opposition penalty box. He seems a very serious guy with good character and very professional. However, I cannot warm to a player that pulls out of 50/50 challenges and he does. Dave doesn’t, Kev doesn’t, Fern doesn’t. Gundo does. I know he has had injuries, but......
Hope he feels physically confident enough to remedy it next season.

This is as near perfect a summation as you can get. Well said.

Meh! I can't be bothered by masculine bravado. I want a player who is healthy most of the time, and if that requires him not going into dangerous tackles 10 times a season. Then so be it. 90% of these tackles never afford us an advantage or disadvantage anyway. And for the few that do, it's splits heavily against us. In more than half the time we cop an injury or card. Going into 50/50 is overrated.

I'd rather have him reading the game beautifully, passing with metronomic precision, and arriving in the box like a well wind clock to bang in key goals.

Love him to bits...

#paythesilky

I go with this. I would rather have a tacklingly-nervous Gundog who was available for the next game than one who's put out of the game by a dodgy tackle for which we don't even get a free kick!

Every top player/goalkeeper has a part in his game that is less brilliant. So even if Gundogan pulls out of 50/50 tackles, what he brings to the team in the way he performs nowadays easily beats that. But tbh I'm not even sure if he pulls out of tackles, or simply reads the game better than let's say Fernandinho who needs a lot of tackles because his reading isn't as good as Gundogan?

Some clowns on Twitter who support City, stating that Gundogan shouldn't play for us again after he congratulated Klopp in a tweet.

When he came here, I thought he was going to be a great addition, Maybe his injuries have shattered his confidence and game. He seems a shadow of his former self. He doesn’t really seem to be the guy we need, not sure why Pep still insists on using him in big games. Bernardo should be playing there, his energy and work rate are far higher than Gundog. Maybe it’s time to move him on or give him one more season to deliver.

When he came here, I thought he was going to be a great addition, Maybe his injuries have shattered his confidence and game. He seems a shadow of his former self. He doesn’t really seem to be the guy we need, not sure why Pep still insists on using him in big games. Bernardo should be playing there, his energy and work rate are far higher than Gundog. Maybe it’s time to move him on or give him one more season to deliver.

Totally disagree. And imo every player has lived up to expectations this season. Gundogan, like every other player, changes over the years by playing for different teams, in different leagues and under different managers. And what’s the bloody use of comparing the Gundogan at Dortmund with the one playing for us anyways. Look at the Aguero-documentary that recently came out. We see a different Kun nowadays, even a different one that started his career as a City player.
As for Bernardo, energy and work rate alone doesn’t make you a top player, let alone the vision and control in tempo one needs when playing in the positions Gundogan easily fills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.