The Beatles through the years...

Not great musicians bar perhaps George on guitar to a point.

Great music , great song writers bar Ringo , they will be playing Yesterday , Hide Your Love Away , Shes Leaving Home and Dear Prudence to name but four when we inhabit Mars to continue the human race which is the best way I think to sum them up.

If music takes you through the full spectrum of emotions we have crafted since coming to this planet then the Beatles along with many others achieve that.

There is little point comparing them to others but Rubenstein said She's Leaving Home was the best piece of music he had heard and Sinatra said something similar about Something.

That gives you some idea about how their music carried into the hearts and minds of others who were genius's at their particular craft.

Cat Stevens is still my favourite songwriter but as a group I listen to the Beatles as much as I do Led Zepp , Bad Company , Metallica , Collective Soul and Aussie bands like the Masters Apprentices and Country Radio.

Nice post......bar the first line! McCartney is one of the most talented 'natural' musicians this country has ever produced. An excellent bass player (not Entwhistle excellent, but pretty damn good) and proficient on guitar, keyboards, drums, you name it. And I say that as someone who habitually favours Lennon.....

Nice post......bar the first line! McCartney is one of the most talented 'natural' musicians this country has ever produced. An excellent bass player (not Entwhistle excellent, but pretty damn good) and proficient on guitar, keyboards, drums, you name it. And I say that as someone who habitually favours Lennon.....

As player of instruments to a proficient level I couldn't argue with you Exeter when it comes to JPM and I probably came over a bit harsh as such given their music and the way there songs were arranged , published and written I don't think their actual abilities and I include all four of them could be done justice to.

I certainly believe notwithstanding this individually and collectively they will not go down in history as musicians of the highest order however although great musicians like Elvis Costello disagree with me that they will when the big ball runs out of helium.

There are too many other musicians who are known for their craft on the instruments they played to a higher quality ( you name but one above ).

They could have covered for BP on some of the stuff he played on but obviously chose not to as the Stones did as well and the quality of playing stood out on many of the tracks.

Lennon is regarded by many as the greatest influence in the rock, n roll era and because of what he did outside music and his persona I have to agree.

Those who love art usually love music as well and he loved both crafts with a passion and was extremely demanding especially on himself which is why he was so good at songwriting.

He knew when he wrote crap and knew when he wrote evergreens.

The first song I ever heard on radio was Hello Goodbye and I remember it like it was yesterday pardun the pun.

When Jack Benny turns up to one of your gigs and says its not because its fashionable and means it you know you are on to something.

They packed 40 years into 7.

I'd disagree with that
Paul for me is second only too Jaco Pastorius
Some of the bass lines on Pepper are unbelievably inventive, and it got even better on things like Hey Bulldog, I Want You and Dear Prudence
It's like he was composing seperate melodies that fit with the songs main melody, listen to the bass on George's Something.

I can forgive him being behind Jaco as he was also writing and singing some of the best songs ever, oh and that acoustic playing on Blackbird.

Bass Player magazine puts him third.

http://www.bassplayer.com/artists/1171/the-100-greatest-bass-players-of-all-time/61989

60 years ago today. The Quarry Men were playing at the St Peter's Church Fete in Woolton. John Lennon was one of the Quarry Men and his friend Ivan Vaughan was another member of the band. Vaughan brought along one of his school friends to see the band play and afterwards Vaughan's school friend showed them how to tune a guitar properly. And so Joh Lennon got to meet and become friends with Paul McCartney.

60 years ago today. The Quarry Men were playing at the St Peter's Church Fete in Woolton. John Lennon was one of the Quarry Men and his friend Ivan Vaughan was another member of the band. Vaughan brought along one of his school friends to see the band play and afterwards Vaughan's school friend showed them how to tune a guitar properly. And so Joh Lennon got to meet and become friends with Paul McCartney.
Luckiest day of John Lennons life

They were crap until they started doing the proper drugs, then they became brilliant
Crap ?
they were phenomenal, biggest band in the world, No 1 in every country that mattered

No English band had ever made it in America and they had top 5 positions on the US charts in the same week (never been done before or since)...even their albums got in the singles charts they sold so many.

and great live, so tight and clean.

I'd disagree with that
Paul for me is second only too Jaco Pastorius
Some of the bass lines on Pepper are unbelievably inventive, and it got even better on things like Hey Bulldog, I Want You and Dear Prudence
It's like he was composing seperate melodies that fit with the songs main melody, listen to the bass on George's Something.

I can forgive him being behind Jaco as he was also writing and singing some of the best songs ever, oh and that acoustic playing on Blackbird.

Bass Player magazine puts him third.

http://www.bassplayer.com/artists/1171/the-100-greatest-bass-players-of-all-time/61989
That is an interesting list. Thanks for posting it. I am ashamed to say I haven’t heard of at least 50% of the top 20 but at least my favourites, John Entwistle and Jack Bruce make the list. I will away and educate myself.

Crap ?
they were phenomenal, biggest band in the world, No 1 in every country that mattered

No English band had ever made it in America and they had top 5 positions on the US charts in the same week (never been done before or since)...even their albums got in the singles charts they sold so many.

and great live, so tight and clean.

I agree they were one of the first bands to make it big in America but Led Zeppelin were also huge in the US. They were very much an albums band but their tours broke records.

I love the Beatles music and their song writing was second to none. I don’t consider any of them to be top musicians (as in instrumentalists). They were more than competent but I can’t think of any great guitar solos or bass lines and Ringo Starr was the second luckiest man alive after Charlie Watts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.