World Cup VAR

It gets 100% of the offside goals correctly ruled out so not really subjective is it. Unless you're suggesting we go back to having incorrect offside goals counted in games

No im Not talking about offside s which VAR can be used correctly for as with where fouls take place. I'm talking about subjective penalty decisions which are a matter if opinion and in a very high percentage of those that i have seen VAR has got it wrong ( in my opinion ) which is why it can't work for subjective decisions.

If implemented correctly then VAR is a very useful tool IMO. Thing is, it’s not always being implemented correctly and the argument about subjective penalty decisions is spot on for me. VAR is supposed to be there to overturn only those decisions that are blatantly wrong so those penalties where half the people reckon it was a pen and half don’t should remain with the on-field ref’s decision. However, if a ref hasn’t given a pen and it clearly is one then VAR should come into play.

Example: Saints away a few seasons back - Aguero was cleaned out by a Saints player in the box and it was a stonewall penalty. However, somewhat astonishingly the ref booked Sergio for diving. If VAR was in place, then the yellow card would’ve been rescinded and City would’ve been awarded a penalty, and not a single person on this planet would’ve had an issue with VAR regarding that decision.

That’s what it’s supposed to be there for - to get rid of the utter howlers and not to change unclear decisions. That’s what was communicated to us when I attended a workshop on VAR last summer which was fronted up by ex-ref Neale Barry. He also said if any ref refused to overturn a clearly incorrect decision then he’d be struck off so, for example, when David Luiz committed a professional foul on Aguero to deny him a clear goalscoring opportunity a couple of seasons back and a certain Altrincham fan from Wythenshawe inexplicably allowed play to continue, if said Alty fan was asked by the VAR team to review the footage but decided to stick with his 100% incorrect on-field decision instead of sending Sideshow Bob off, then the only Altrincham fan ever to come from Wythenshawe would be finished as a referee.

No im Not talking about offside s which VAR can be used correctly for as with where fouls take place. I'm talking about subjective penalty decisions which are a matter if opinion and in a very high percentage of those that i have seen VAR has got it wrong ( in my opinion ) which is why it can't work for subjective decisions.

But... that's nonsense in any form you look at it simply cos it's... subjective!!

A game with no VAR where the ref gives or doesn't give a pen is based on their 'subjective' opinion of how that situation arrived, so your point holds no logic!!

VAR, at least, tries to put together the facts, not opinion...

This is just the same nonsense!!

All sport is subjective! All!

Does that mean when two horses or two athletes cross the line at the same time we should just use our own eyes otherwise we take the fun out of the sport?

No, cos that's plainly stupid!

Introduction of tech has lessened the argument and provided what the right outcome is 99% of the time! The other 1% is subjective and can't be separated and that's fine, we agree to disagree as nothing is 100% accurate all the time.

Football has a little more nuance to it, which is why it shouldn't left to outside opinion, but left to the field of play to challenge certain decisions. That's 'subjective' on the field of play and within the realms of the game as players protest shit all the time.

Once VAR decides to understand this part of the game, it will improve exponentially.

As has been suggested for multiple years now, 2 challenges in a game, run out and the ref has complete autonomy on decisions.

For example, Portugal may have hypothetically protested Pepe getting 'elbowed' before Costa scored and would lost that challenge, so therefore their next 'challenge' would have to be ultra careful(VAR sorted that anyway, mind). Or the [non] trip in the Argentina game would have been 'challenged' and be correctly awarded. As there was no right to appeal Argentina drew a game they could/ should have won, ultimately.

The fact that VAR protesters accepted tech in one sport and not others is weird!

Even MMA are employing tech now, ffs!!

This is just the same nonsense!!

All sport is subjective! All!

Does that mean when two horses or two athletes cross the line at the same time we should just use our own eyes otherwise we take the fun out of the sport?

No, cos that's plainly stupid!

Introduction of tech has lessened the argument and provided what the right outcome is 99% of the time! The other 1% is subjective and can't be separated and that's fine, we agree to disagree as nothing is 100% accurate all the time.

Football has a little more nuance to it, which is why it shouldn't left to outside opinion, but left to the field of play to challenge certain decisions. That's 'subjective' on the field of play and within the realms of the game as players protest shit all the time.

Once VAR decides to understand this part of the game, it will improve exponentially.

As has been suggested for multiple years now, 2 challenges in a game, run out and the ref has complete autonomy on decisions.

For example, Portugal may have hypothetically protested Pepe getting 'elbowed' before Costa scored and would lost that challenge, so therefore their next 'challenge' would have to be ultra careful(VAR sorted that anyway, mind). Or the [non] trip in the Argentina game would have been 'challenged' and be correctly awarded. As there was no right to appeal Argentina drew a game they could/ should have won, ultimately.

The fact that VAR protesters accepted tech in one sport and not others is weird!

Even MMA are employing tech now, ffs!!

Football is a rules based game. The only 'subjective' decision i can think of is the extremely fucking stupid 'interfering with play/ active or passive' nonsense.
VAR has not got 99% of decisions right.
The appeals idea is even more nonsense. You want the game stopping 4 times whilst players, managers and officials deliberate over a decision. Does the match going spectator nip out for a pie or do their nails whilst this is going on? Will we have to wait for the big screen to display GOAL ! before celebrating?
The only other sport i watch with var is snooker.

Football is a rules based game. The only 'subjective' decision i can think of is the extremely fucking stupid 'interfering with play/ active or passive' nonsense.
VAR has not got 99% of decisions right.
The appeals idea is even more nonsense. You want the game stopping 4 times whilst players, managers and officials deliberate over a decision. Does the match going spectator nip out for a pie or do their nails whilst this is going on? Will we have to wait for the big screen to display GOAL ! before celebrating?
The only other sport i watch with var is snooker.

Well, have any of the current games in the World Cup stopped "4 times" or long enough for you to do your hair and make up whilst waiting for a decision??

Stupid hyperbole doesn't help your already stupid objections...

Actually, let me add to that point @stonerblue, being completely honest, have you read anywhere on the forum, including anything you've printed, where VAR has disrupted 'the flow of the game'??

That seems to be the last thing on anyone's mind and therefore it impies a 'natural' acceptance in proceedings already.

The players seem to get on with it and so do the viewers.

People seem to have the wrong idea of how VAR works. The ref doesn't decide when VAR is used, he is told by the VAR officials if he has made a mistake. If they agree with his decision on the pitch the game carries on.

The Ref can at no point stop the game and ask to watch a replay.
On the Argentinian non penalty, in the studio they said that V.A.R. couldnt be used as play had restarted. So why doesnt the ref, who'd already decided it wasnt, not delay the goal kick. This is the bit that worries me as refs will screw us over in the premier.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.