Uefa plans third European club competition from 2021

Not enough space left in the calendar to accommodate this micky mouse competition, European football is about the best teams in Europe playing each other not mid table clashes.

It doesn't take up any more time in the calendar, it would run parallel to Europa/CL.

Also why are people pretending European football is about the best vs. the best when the 4th, 5th, 6th sometimes 7th best sides from top countries are in European competitions already?

I know this is a particularly English trait, but most of the PL clubs don't care about the Europa League as it is. They'll care even less about a third-tier competition. The last thing teams finishing 7-9th need is MORE football. Their squads are stretched enough as it is.

And I can't imagine it being financially rewarding either if Burnley vs. Getafe is the kind of fare they'll be offering to broadcasters/advertisers.

That's not an English trait, it's a top 6 trait. Burnley fans desperately wanted to get into European football, as did Leicester fans who got a taste of European football in 16/17.

I think this is all part of keeping the big clubs big. Europa already ruins any smaller clubs chances of making that step up. Eg. Burnley. This will do it on a bigger scale

At this rate the top 10 teams in every league will play in a European cup. How long before we get a European League which is what teams like the rags have been after for a long time.

That's not an English trait, it's a top 6 trait. Burnley fans desperately wanted to get into European football, as did Leicester fans who got a taste of European football in 16/17.
I wasn't talking about the fans, but the clubs themselves. Regardless of how their supporters felt, Burnley would have soon jettisoned the Europa League if they felt it was getting in the way of their PL performance.

I wasn't talking about the fans, but the clubs themselves. Regardless of how their supporters felt, Burnley would have soon jettisoned the Europa League if they felt it was getting in the way of their PL performance.

Burnley maybe, but Everton, Leicester, Watford etc are trying to build towards more than just survival, and a competition they could actually win would definitely appeal to them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.