Uefa plans third European club competition from 2021

Makes a mockery of the early rounds of the league cup as the qualifiers for this competition wont be in it. Would you tune it to watch Leicester v which ever mid table side in Europe they get drawn against? We nearly got relegated when we played in the old Uefa cup under Keegan, if you followed one of the teams who qualified would you want the gravy train of the premier league jeopardising the chase after a 3rd tier European competition?

Oh No! What will the league cup second round do if it loses 1 or possibly 2 more sides from the top 8 of the Premier League. It'll just never be the same!

May I ask which leagues you'd propose being in it if only champions are allowed?
As it is now, to get to the CL final now you play 12 games, then the 13th is the final. You play 7 different teams (the 3 others in the group phase, then each of the teams you play in the Ro16, the Quarters, the Semis and the Final)

So to play everyone home and away in my league format you only need 7 teams in it, to play 14 games.

Champions of:
England
Spain
Germany
Italy
France
Portugal
Holland

If any league moves up or down the seedings to the point they drop below that seven they go into Tier 2 who also play a mirror competition at the same time

May as well bring back the Inter Toto cup....
Will this be a Monday or Friday night league as when else are they going to show games on TV
UEFA trying to milk the golden goose as much as it can..... Fans won't want to watch it in any significant numbers

As it is now, to get to the CL final now you play 12 games, then the 13th is the final. You play 7 different teams (the 3 others in the group phase, then each of the teams you play in the Ro16, the Quarters, the Semis and the Final)

So to play everyone home and away in my league format you only need 7 teams in it, to play 14 games.

Champions of:
England
Spain
Germany
Italy
France
Portugal
Holland

If any league moves up or down the seedings to the point they drop below that seven they go into Tier 2 who also play a mirror competition at the same time

A 7 team league would be 12 games each not 14. 6 opponents home and away.

But you've just invented a European super league.

Champions of:
England
Spain
Germany
Italy
France
Portugal
Holland

Can't say I'm a fan of that format.
The champions League is great as it is because it gives you a real taste of clubs all around Europe.
You'd have a very similar cycle of the same seven clubs every year in Europe with the format you propose

A 7 team league would be 12 games each not 14. 6 opponents home and away.

But you've just invented a European super league.
Jesus, how did i miss that? Hahahaha! I can add one more league in that case.

But yes, i have, but the participants would be different from the different leagues if there were different winners from those leagues.

I've also ranked them incorrectly, as the current co-efficients are:
Spain
England
Italy
Germany
France
Russia
Portugal
Ukraine

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly this. Bayern, juve, PSG, Ajax and Porto/Benfica would be shoe ins every year. Would become extremely stale
You'd thing so but you'd be surprised how different it would look from one year to the next, even with a few being the same. Look at the last three years...

2018-19:
Barcelona
City
Juventus
Bayern
Paris
Lokomotiv Moscow
Porto
Shakhtar

2017-18:
Real Madrid
Chelsea
Juventus
Bayern
Monaco
Spartak Moscow
Benfica
Shakhtar

2016-17:
Barcelona
Leicester
Juventus
Bayern
Paris
CSKA Moscow
Benfica
Dynamo Kyiv

I'd say the most stale games of our season every season with the worst atmospheres and lowest attendances are the CL group phase. They are shite! Even when we play team we've never played before. I don't think I've ever sat in work in the Autumn excited about the CL game we have that night, not once.

We got better attendances against Wolves in the early rounds of the League Cup (50755) and against Burnley in the early rounds of the FA Cup (53285) than we did any of our group phase games in the CL last season (45310 vSD, 48520 vNap, 43548 vFey) and much better atmospheres and excitement around those domestic cup games than the CL naffness.

I'd much rather have this league format i suggest where we know every game goes towards the final league outcome come the end of the season. I can't be doing with the group phase of the CL, where eventually, the same old teams more often than not get to the knock-out phases anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not enough space left in the calendar to accommodate this micky mouse competition, European football is about the best teams in Europe playing each other not mid table clashes. The other side of it, would the teams involve go chasing after this competition at the expense of struggling in the league? You would have to have a much deeper squad to fight on all four fronts.

Plus what happens to the league cup?

This all about money. You are where you are today, not through divine intervention by the invisible man in the sky. It was a combination of being in a league that had a lot of money, but you moved into the stratosphere of football through investment by a very rich man.

I wish he had picked my club, but Alac and alas he didn’t. The only way to increase revenue, for us at least is European football.

It will be good for clubs to compete in a European context to get away from the boring fighting not to be relegated that is the majority of the EP clubs experience.

I welcome it. And I’m sure clubs who don’t have a man with unfeasibly deep pockets will too.

If you were still a mid league club would you not want it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.