Happy 50th birthday to Paul Lake....

Mad Eyed Screamer

.....the big 5-Oh today (28/10) - have a great day Paul and here's to another 50.
44679971_2276143425746568_1199646793122447360_o.jpg

Whenever I met him on Blue Tuesday he was always a true gent.

I was at the Villa game...was only my 2nd or 3rd night game. Obviously no one knew just how bad it would ultimately be, but Lakey's injury definitely dampened the atmosphere on the Kippax that night.

He's done great things since though, including helping to break the stigma about men and mental health issues.

Happy Birthday Paul!

A bona fide City hero. I know there are some who will say he was unproven, but I think that anyone who's ever played the game to a competent level (and I immodestly include myself in that category) could recognise in a heartbeat that he had the lot. Pace? Tick. Stamina? Tick. Power? Tick. Height? Tick. Two footed? Tick. Skilful? Tick. He was one of that unique class of players who glided across the turf (see also KDB and Colin the King).
The fact that he'd made the provisional Italia '90 squad and was captain of Manchester City at the age of just 21, speaks volumes. Had it not been for that injury and our amateurish handling of it, I think he would have surpassed Alan Oakes as the holder of the 'most games played for the club' record, and he would have racked up dozens of England caps. He still gets into my all-time greatest City XI even now

I remember when we played Everton, he completely bossed Graham Sharp in his make shift Central Defensive position, he was just so good. Happy birthday to one of the best footballers I’ve ever seen, such a shame the rest of the world didn’t get to see his undoubted genius in a regular basis.

A bona fide City hero. I know there are some who will say he was unproven, but I think that anyone who's ever played the game to a competent level (and I immodestly include myself in that category) could recognise in a heartbeat that he had the lot. Pace? Tick. Stamina? Tick. Power? Tick. Height? Tick. Two footed? Tick. Skilful? Tick. He was one of that unique class of players who glided across the turf (see also KDB and Colin the King).
The fact that he'd made the provisional Italia '90 squad and was captain of Manchester City at the age of just 21, speaks volumes. Had it not been for that injury and our amateurish handling of it, I think he would have surpassed Alan Oakes as the holder of the 'most games played for the club' record, and he would have racked up dozens of England caps. He still gets into my all-time greatest City XI even now

That ability to glide across the pitch as if the ball was super-glued to his foot was as you rightly point out the main clue as to just how good he was but I swear I've never seen a young player before or since who looked like he could comfortably play any outfield position at a high level.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.