Southampton (H) Post Match Thread

We should have had double figures today..we created so many chances but didn't take them.
We relaxed after the 3 rd goal and let Southampton off the hook but we really looked like we could have scored anytime we needed too.
Eddie fucked up for the penalty but he made up for it with a couple of very good saves.
Mendy gave the ball away a few times but going forward he's a beast and causes havoc with his crossing.
Stones and Laporte look so good and calm.
Walker had a good game too.
Fern as always was great.
The Silva's, Sane, Kun were fantastic but Sterling was outstanding today..what a player he is.
Delph is a great player to have in the squad and Phil looks so comfortable on the ball and has already become a player who needs more game time.
Nice to see Vinny come on and look comfortable and commanding.
Looking forward to the Shaktar game and hopefully another great performance.

We were absolutely brilliant today. This is some team we’ve got.

Offensively yes.

I thought we conceded too much though. Southampton had as much joy today as the rest of our games combined. We looked open and were not picking up the 2nd balls.

I watched every kick of that from my couch with no distractions, and by the end i was stood up, agog, clapping the lads off.

Unbelievably good stuff played today. The speed and control on display were mesmerising at times. The desire to win the ball back, coupled with a determination to drive forward gave the opposition little to no chance.

Also a nod to the supporters that went, the atmosphere sounded great on my telly and seemed like a real buzz around the game.

Offensively yes.

I thought we conceded too much though. Southampton had as much joy today as the rest of our games combined. We looked open and were not picking up the 2nd balls.

Yeah, Pep was clearly not happy with that in his post-match press conference. Read somewhere that we’d only conceded ten shots on target in the last ten games (although that stat seems absurd?!) and six on target today? A better team than Saints might have only lost by three or four!

Started like a train playing some superb attacking football with speed and clinical efficiency. Ederson makes an error of judgement to give away the pen and then the game is fairly even. Even after the 4th goal I thought Ings and Long caused us a fair amount of trouble and they created some decent chances to make the score closer. In the end we run out comfortable winners but Mendy is undoubtedly vulnerable defensively however much he brings to us from an attacking standpoint (which is a lot). Has to be said that Sterling is in the form of his life and was our best player today. Fernandinho is so consistently excellent too - having a great run of games last few weeks. Both Silvas also were really good although Bernie faded a bit second half. Good to see Foden get more minutes. All in all a great day with another high scoring spectacular.
I have to agree about Mendy - will be punished at CL level like in QF or semi - but I looked up his stats the other day and he hasn’t even played 20 PL games for City yet so hoping he can follow the others and show a lot of improvement under Pep - anyway that’s a tough fixture out of the way - will be much easier next Sunday

Sergio booted the ball out of pure frustration.
The ref had no choice but to book him.
Very silly and totally avoidable booking.
Not disputing that if he booted the ball there was no option.

But I think that the whistle had not been blown yet.

Splitting hairs I know (not something that the ref can do), but that was my take on it. Will need to see it back.

Offensively yes.

Southampton had a good few chances and missed all of them. Our defence is rarely tested as we are so often on the offensive, but when they are under the cosh I think we can be vulnerable.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.