Champions League Games 5/6 March

Would be brilliant if the quarter final draws looked like this:

City (touch wood we go through) vs Porto
Barca/Lyon vs Atletico/Juve
Liverpool vs United
Spurs vs Ajax

Liverpool won't be able to 'focus on the league' with a tie like that.

Think I'll be hoping the scousers go through on the off chance it looks like the above.

And a good 1st leg results gives older players like Fernandinho some rest. If I'm not mistaken, they draw the semis with the quarters these days. So we might know the path to the final when the draw is made.

Juventus ( A European heavyweight) and a darling club, conceded a 90th minute penalty that knocked them out of the UCL last year. Milan conceded a nothing penalty in the 2005 UCL final.

If there's cheating or an agenda, it would exist regardless of VAR. If these corrupt officials don't want to give decisions against darling clubs, then they'd refuse to do so, with or without VAR.
Do you think PSG would have been awarded that 90th minute pen against juve? I don’t.

Lahoz was awful in Spain as well. Guardiola seems to think that it's an anti Catalan thing. That isn't the same as saying that there's an organized conspiracy by the governing body.

We have situations wherein a referee seems to dislike a coach and tends to give that manager's team a harsh time. This happens in the NBA and in football. It isn't appropriate but it's a fact.
That isn't the debate here. Some of the posters here have explicitly mentioned that it's obvious that "City aren't allowed to win the UCL" which suggests a conspiracy, not a few isolated awful decisions, which should as you pointed out be rightly criticized.
Well, supporters use emotive language. The argument is that the sheer volume of decisions against City is not just coincidental. The G14 have threatened to break away from the CL. Would you say that doesn't concern UEFA? Do you think that Bayern Munich, who openly despise us, and their G14 friends don't take some comfort in us being shafted (and, btw, cast your mind back to our first game against the German rags and the blatant penalties - fouls on Silva and Mario, I think, in the first half - denied us)?

I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories, but I do believe that UEFA don't want us as CL winners, and the refs understand that.

That's not fair. There were several decisions against us over both ties, which had a huge impact on the outcome. 'Conspiracy' may be the wrong word, but is it so difficult to believe that Messrs Brych and Lahoz understand what their UEFA bosses would like to see happen? And that their poor decisions would be overlooked? As they were. While it may be fanciful to believe that an organised conspiracy is at play, it would be very naieve to think that all referees are 100% impartial all of the time. Now think of Peter Walton.

Conspiracy conjures up images of nut jobs in tinfoil hats.

But UEFA did appoint a ref with a clear history with Pep. They had 100’s of other refs, yet picked one with a history with our manager and us for that matter.
Why?

You're focused on 1 tie. I responded to a claim that "City aren't allowed to win the Champions League" so Ofcourse I'm interested in the entire tenure here. Was every elimination because of referring mistakes? If not, then that claim is blatantly false. And that's my entire point.

There will always be bad decisions. The decision to rule out Sané's goal was wrong, for example. But that's not the same as saying that a governing body is ensuring that a team doesn t win the competition.

Oh it's my fault you picked that tie to go on your tinfoil hat rant?

I'm sure that's it. The mistakes last year against Liverpool by our defenders were due to a giant conspiracy...

I might have even agreed with some of what you said but you couldn't have picked a worse tie to make your point with. That's what belongs on RAWK. Carry on with your strawmen if you like but I've been pretty clear what I took issue with throughout... you keep trying to make it about 8years in the CL, I've already expressed my views on that. We would have done the job nicely for them for the first 6-7 years.

Even if the refs shite, utterly one sided mistake ridden performance was nothing to do with a conspiracy. You don't often see so many mistakes being made against one team and not the other in such a high profile game, so I could see why someone could take that game in isolation(who are you to say they can't?).

Last edited:
Its not a no brainer at all. The league game against them is going to be key IMO and playing a team with no hope of anything in the season would be far better than one with hopes of a CL and FA cup double, especially after the mess they have been through. Confidence comes from winning games and trophies. I would like to see them bereft of confidence and hope. You may disagree with me, but its certainly not a no brainer

My opinion is I would prefer to hand them a spanking any day of the week than have Mbappe and Neymar getting behind our high line capitalising on any mistake and running into fresh grass.. all subjective though mate.. and my no brainer comment was probably a little OTT

Do you think PSG would have been awarded that 90th minute pen against juve? I don’t.

You said you'd be happy if decisions like this were made against darling clubs. Juventus most certainly qualifies as a darling club and their very last elimination was because they conceded a last minute penalty.

Not sure what the PSG point has to do with anything. We are shifting goal posts.

Well, supporters use emotive language. The argument is that the sheer volume of decisions against City is not just coincidental. The G14 have threatened to break away from the CL. Would you say that doesn't concern UEFA? Do you think that Bayern Munich, who openly despise us, and their G14 friends don't take some comfort in us being shafted (and, btw, cast your mind back to our first game against the German rags and the blatant penalties - fouls on Silva and Mario, I think, in the first half - denied us)?

I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories, but I do believe that UEFA don't want us as CL winners, and the refs understand that.

I don't understand why some people find this so complicated.

Oh it's my fault you picked that tie to go on your tinfoil hat rant?

I might have even agreed with some of what you said but you couldn't have picked a worse tie to make your point with. That's what belongs on RAWK. Carry on with your strawmen if you like but I've been pretty clear what I took issue with throughout... you keep trying to make it about 8years in the CL.

No idea what you're having trouble with. This is a very simple issue. About UEFA "Not allowing City to win the UCL". If someone believes that, then he most certainly does belong on rawk. You're not using strawman accurately,either.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.