Spurs (H) 2nd Leg - Post Match Thread

Football is a cruel sport. 3 semifinalists finished 2nd in their respective groups. Spurs won only 8 points in their and went to last game to Camp Nou with same number of points as Inter who played at home vs PSV who had only 1 point from 5 games before. And yet both drew their games. Liverpool lost 3 away games in the group and went through the more goals scored than Napoli who missed a sitter in 94th minute of their last deciding game. Rags went as far away as we did by scoring only 2 home goals in entire CL campaign and we are out despite scoring at least 10 goals more than any of the semifinalists.

Last edited:
Tough loss to swallow. But I am so proud of the team fighting till the end. Another day and this is a 4-0 battering. That's the margins.

Also the match day gojng fans. Wow the atmosphere tonight was immense. Come on city onto the next and let's try win the league now

Football is a cruel sport. 3 semifinalists finished 2nd in their respective groups. Spurs won only 8 points in their and went to last game to Camp Nou with same number of points as Inter who played at home vs PSV who had only 1 point from 5 games before. And yet both drew their games. Liverpool lost 3 away games in the group and went through the more goals scored than Napoli who missed a sitter in 94th minute of their last deciding game. Rags went as far away as we did by scoring only 2 home goals in entire CL campaign.

That's why the tournament is not held in the same light as the domestic title is.

Great to win it and a great achievement if you do but its essentially a knock out tournament and as Pep as others have described its often decided on the rub of the green on the night.

There are as many people who would think their 3rd goal would have been ruled out for hand ball and if the decision was left to the VAR's and not the ref and all angles shown then it was as likely as it was not that hand ball would have been given.

Pep is pretty honest in these matters he thought it was handball and I thought it was handball and had it been one of our players still would have thought it was hand ball but others would come to a different conclusion.

Over the two legs we had more of the ball , more shots on goal , more shots on target , were the better team in both games and deserved to go through and that is the view of most neutrals but it was not be and that how it can pan out.

You look at the premiership table and it tells you we are a stronger , more talented side than spurs and that is how it is but it doesn't guarantee you will finish ahead on the scoreline over two legs.

In saying that its high time the rules changed and if its level after 180 minutes do what you do in most knockout comps and have 30 minutes and penalties.

Just got back from Manchester What a game! spoke to a few Spurs lads after and they were proper sound. Good on them.
Every one of them is routing for us to top the dippers.

No agro with any of them, a brilliant match and atmosphere.
What it's all about CTID!

I was in uniform, in a crew lounge, using my phone to stream to my iPad between flights (4hr sit in Cancun) and was going mental, topping it off with jumping up and yelling “Get the fuck in!” on the “fifth” goal.

Didn’t even know it was disallowed until I sat back down and noticed the score was still 4-3!! Heard it was Aguero offside, but thought Erickson had passed it to him!?!

What did I miss?

My apologies for my confusion! Just got off the flight and am jumping on another one!

And, it was handball. Clearest view is (IMHO) from behind the goal. How the ref can just shrug his shoulders in such an important game is beyond me.

Absolutely gutted for the players, but as said elsewhere...shipping THREE AWAY GOALS isn’t what the CL is about. First leg (esp missed pen) was a disaster (team selection, late goal, etc) and it was always going to be uphill battle. However, at 4-2 I thought we’d done it.

Spurs did what Palace and others have done: Counterattacked the shit out of us. Sadly, one of the lads had a nightmare at the back and we just couldn’t put away a few chances that would have buried the tie.

All the eggs in one basket now, until the league is done.

Again, absolutely gutted for the players and the club, not to mention my own despair!!

I was in uniform, in a crew lounge, using my phone to stream to my iPad between flights (4hr sit in Cancun) and was going mental, topping it off with jumping up and yelling “Get the fuck in!” on the “fifth” goal.

Didn’t even know it was disallowed until I sat back down and noticed the score was still 4-3!! Heard it was Aguero offside, but thought Erickson had passed it to him!?!

What did I miss?

My apologies for my confusion! Just got off the flight and am jumping on another one!

And, it was handball. Clearest view is (IMHO) from behind the goal. How the ref can just shrug his shoulders in such an important game is beyond me.

Absolutely gutted for the players, but as said elsewhere...shipping THREE AWAY GOALS isn’t what the CL is about. First leg (esp missed pen) was a disaster (team selection, late goal, etc) and it was always going to be uphill battle. However, at 4-2 I thought we’d done it.

Spurs did what Palace and others have done: Counterattacked the shit out of us. Sadly, one of the lads had a nightmare at the back and we just couldn’t put away a few chances that would have buried the tie.

Again, absolutely gutted for the players and the club, not to mention my own despair!!

Keep your pants on, dramatic as fcuk.

What did I miss?

Sadly/suspiciously, he wasn't given that angle. He'd have disallowed it if he had & we'd probably be in the SF now

Aguero was offside because Bernardo intercepted Eriksen's pass and it rebounded to Aguero. Right call.

Sadly/suspiciously, he wasn't given that angle. He'd have disallowed it if he had & we'd probably be in the SF now

Aguero was offside because Bernardo intercepted Eriksen's pass and it rebounded to Aguero. Right call.
Didn’t see any “interception.” Was it a deflection?

Anyway, history now. Thanks for clearing it up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.