Harry Maguire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maguire isn't a glamours target, but I think we need a big unit. I'd prefer Jonathan Tah, but maybe Pep wants the homegrown slot so we can get better foreign players. It's obvious we need a big CB not only to deal with set pieces, but with long balls in the PL. Lots of teams like Burnley, Brighton, Watford etc. have a big striker and it was usually Vinny (towards the end) pushing up against the striker and winning the long balls and us winning the 2nd ball. This is just as important to keep the opposition away from our own goal.

You could argue Maguire is slow, but usually teams with big strikers aren't blessed with pace either. The lack of pace could be a problem against Liverpool, but that's a different animal and most CB's have a difficult time the way they play. Pep may not decide to play him anyway against smaller faster strikers and may play Stones and Laporte.

He could also pair with any of the CB's including Dinho or Garcia in case of injuries. He can be the ball winner and the other is better distributing.

He is good at running with the ball but he isn't good passing it. The number of times he plays poor balls or is caught out at the back is alarming. He would take us backwards and there is no raw potential there that makes him worth the investment. When Alderweireld is available for 25m if I remember rightly, it is a no brainer to go for him instead. That allows us to remain solid now and bring younger players through. Rather than pay a fortune on someone who neither improves us now nor in the future.

There’s no rational argument against this.

He'll be a beast at corners. He's just what we need, if he was called maguireinho everybody would be saying get him but coz he's just harry from Yorkshire he's crap.
No brainer for me, boosts our home grown players and he's going to be an established England centre half for a few years.

He’s got a lot going for him mate but imo he’s not a ‘Pep player’ as he doesn’t have the the intelligence or technique and is slow ‘on the turn’.

Especially at the fees being quoted.

In Stones and Laporte I’m more than happy with them as first choice.

We’ll see I suppose, but Alderwiereld at 25m is the much better option imo.

He’s got a lot going for him mate but imo he’s not a ‘Pep player’ as he doesn’t have the the intelligence or technique and is slow ‘on the turn’.

Especially at the fees being quoted.

In Stones and Laporte I’m more than happy with them as first choice.

We’ll see I suppose, but Alderwiereld at 25m is the much better option imo.
But that is what pep is damn good at and that's turning your average player into a world beater.

I think he'd work wonders with Maguire I really do.

But that is what pep is damn good at and that's turning your average player into a world beater.

I think he'd work wonders with Maguire I really do.

Yeah if you compare Otamendi prior to Pep's arrival I don't think anyone would have thought he'd be a good ball playing CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.