Khaldoon's End of Season Interview

My overriding feeling watching this interview each year is that he should do more interviews. It’s bizarre that we let the shitheads in the media set the agenda for this club when we have a chairman like Khaldoon. It’s always so clear how much work and thought is put into everything that Abu Dhabi does rather than the success being the result of money alone and no one outside our supporter base ever hears it.

Great watch, probably my favourite interview so far. Credit to Chris as usual, great interviewer.

I'm never sure about this. Everton certainly when known as the Merseyside Millionaires had loads of Moores money, but I have never found a reference to Liverpool getting funded that way. An Evertonian mate says that Liverpool got Moores money when Littlewoods employees got shirty about Everton getting it.
Anybody got a reference to Liverpool funding ?

Littlewoods backing started around the time Shankley joined Liverpool so 1959/1960. They were a run down 2nd division club who then started to buy some of the best players around. This was done by huge investment not organic growth. It continued until their period of domination when part of their philosophy is to buy the best players of other clubs to weaken them even though they would play in the reserves. Some did make it to the 1st team.

Liverpool were lucky that this coincided with the abolition of the maximum wage when winning meant more gate and prize money so once established few could compete. Apart from football pools and on course betting on horses, gambling was largely illegal. Most households had a flutter on the pools as it was at a time of post war austerity, it was the only chance of a dream win. Think of the betting industry and lotteries now to understand the relative wealth of the Moores family with Littlewoods the largest with Liverpool based Vernons a poor second in size. They had wealth and could offer wages and transfer fees few if any others could match. No FFP or scrutiny of accounts at that time.

Ironic how this has been airbrushed and how Everton changed from the Millionnaires Club to the self proclaimed Peoples Club, their decline in line with losing pool money support.

Moore’s definitely injected 9m into Liverpool as per companies house in the early 90s, this was about 50% of their annual turnover at the time, roughly the equivalent of mansour giving us an extra £250m in today’s money.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/125/266733-50-men-who-made-lfc-eric-sawyer

"In May 1961 the club’s previous record transfer was smashed when he helped push through the £37,000 purchase of Ian St John.

With the financial floodgates opened, other signings of similar ilk soon followed and, as a consequence, Liverpool’s fortunes prospered, both on and off the pitch."

A
journo mate of mine has researched it for a piece. The Moores money absolutely flooded into Liverpool FC in the 60s and 70s. He says a lot of the info is quite deeply buried.
http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/125/266733-50-men-who-made-lfc-eric-sawyer

"pooma"
He must have picked up a bit of a Boston accent at university. Needs a proper accent !

Littlewoods backing started around the time Shankley joined Liverpool so 1959/1960. They were a run down 2nd division club who then started to buy some of the best players around. This was done by huge investment not organic growth. It continued until their period of domination when part of their philosophy is to buy the best players of other clubs to weaken them even though they would play in the reserves. Some did make it to the 1st team.

Liverpool were lucky that this coincided with the abolition of the maximum wage when winning meant more gate and prize money so once established few could compete. Apart from football pools and on course betting on horses, gambling was largely illegal. Most households had a flutter on the pools as it was at a time of post war austerity, it was the only chance of a dream win. Think of the betting industry and lotteries now to understand the relative wealth of the Moores family with Littlewoods the largest with Liverpool based Vernons a poor second in size. They had wealth and could offer wages and transfer fees few if any others could match. No FFP or scrutiny of accounts at that time.

Ironic how this has been airbrushed and how Everton changed from the Millionnaires Club to the self proclaimed Peoples Club, their decline in line with losing pool money support.
Still not convinced, tho' I would like to be ! Everton , yes well documented, but where is the evidence for Liverpool ?

Liverpool had been owned by the Moores Family for over 50 years when David Moores became chairman in 1991. John Moores became chairman of Everton at a time when he was also a major shareholder in Liverpool. When David Moores sold out to Hicks and Gillette in 2007 he owned 51% of the club.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_F.C.

Scroll down to the ownership and finances bit.
If that's the case the new Sheik on the block shouldn't have any trouble being seen as fit to own Newcastle. Just because his cousin owns a different team shouldn't exclude him.
It's not quite the same as one owner having vested interests in two teams in the one league......in the one city.

Going to court in all instances is against UEFA rules?

It’s in the rules but it’s not legal. Just shows how draconian they are. I could employ you tomorrow and say you aren’t allowed to take me to Employment Tribunal.. you sign the contract but that clause is not legally binding... if I act inappropriately you have recourse to the civil courts. Anyone can make rules but you can’t contravene statutory rights etc.

Still not convinced, tho' I would like to be ! Everton , yes well documented, but where is the evidence for Liverpool ?

The Moores family owned Liverpool at that time and after years struggling in the old 2nd division (which included a 9-1 walloping by Birmingham and losing to Worcester City in the FA Cup) hey presto! The club suddenly go on a mad spending spree to facilitate promotion and then to start winning trophies after decades of nothing. They didn't fund all that out of sales of pies and Bovril.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.