Liverpool thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
How the hell do Liverpool finish 2nd behind a team that plays Walker, Stones, Sterling and even Delph? That's four Conference South level players there.
And none up for the Ballon D'or. I'd be ashamed if I was a Dipper tbh, and stay under me bin lid until August.

@Mods - I think I know the answer, but feel obliged to ask anyway:
Any chance we could have two Liverpool threads for the coming season? One for football and one for discussing their fans and club? Last season any talk of the actual football was well and truly lost in a tsunami of other posts.

Pretty please...

Yeah, we have tried to stress this a few times that we want to try and move away from megathreads where possible. The "Liverpool 2019/20", "United 2019/20" etc threads are only really meant to be discussing those teams in the context of that particular season. If you want to discuss a general point (or indeed a more specific point) about a club or their fanbase or whatever then feel free to start new threads. We won't merge them.

Yeah, we have tried to stress this a few times that we want to try and move away from megathreads where possible. The "Liverpool 2019/20", "United 2019/20" etc threads are only really meant to be discussing those teams in the context of that particular season. If you want to discuss a general point (or indeed a more specific point) about a club or their fanbase or whatever then feel free to start new threads. We won't merge them.

That's great, many thanks.

And good luck modding them ;)

I'll give my Liverpool view on the upcoming season, from a pure football perspective.

It's clear that Liverpool has adapted a more controlled approach to the all-out gegenpressing from the 17/18 season. And while pretty much all stats have improved from the season before, the 1 point gap (compared to city) is flattering, to say the least. Liverpool had luck in some decisive matches, while City got stuck by lightning both by Wolves and Newcastle. The chance (or risk, around here) that Liverpool will have the same fortune and city will have the same misfortune, is hardly something Liverpool can hope for.

There has to be a few additions, for Liverpool to be able to bridge the gap:
1) Alternative to Trent. It's easy to get caught up in the hype, but before December he was abysmal. I'd say he was Liverpool's worst player. And still, when he got injured in January the impact was colossal. Liverpool must have another speedy alternative, that can pin opponents in a defensive shape.
2) Penetration in the middle. This was Klopp's thing when he was @Dortmund. He switched sides and used the wings (like Liverpool do now), but he always had players that could break lines and penetrate in the middle. Often Liverpool are too easy to read, with the ball going from side to side with no threat from Wijnaldum, Henderson, Fabinho or Milner. Ox will be like a new signing, but will it be enough?
3) Alternative to the front three. Salah and Firmino had some pretty significant dips in form, and with the kind of midfield Liverpool have it becomes really troublesome when one wing loses it's edge. Shaq isn't an alternative, and Origi is not good enough. City can rotate the front three when they need, both to rest and to adapt to opponents. Liverpool will need at least one quality addition.

Is there really a chance Van Dijk can win the ballon dor? He wasnt even Liverpool’s Best player. Mane was better.

I'll give my Liverpool view on the upcoming season, from a pure football perspective.

It's clear that Liverpool has adapted a more controlled approach to the all-out gegenpressing from the 17/18 season. And while pretty much all stats have improved from the season before, the 1 point gap (compared to city) is flattering, to say the least. Liverpool had luck in some decisive matches, while City got stuck by lightning both by Wolves and Newcastle. The chance (or risk, around here) that Liverpool will have the same fortune and city will have the same misfortune, is hardly something Liverpool can hope for.

1) Alternative to Trent. It's easy to get caught up in the hype, but before December he was abysmal. I'd say he was Liverpool's worst player. And still, when he got injured in January the impact was colossal. Liverpool must have another speedy alternative, that can pin opponents in a defensive shape.
2) Penetration in the middle. This was Klopp's thing when he was @Dortmund. He switched sides and used the wings (like Liverpool do now), but he always had players that could break lines and penetrate in the middle. Often Liverpool are too easy to read, with the ball going from side to side with no threat from Wijnaldum, Henderson, Fabinho or Milner. Ox will be like a new signing, but will it be enough?
3) Alternative to the front three. Salah and Firmino had some pretty significant dips in form, and with the kind of midfield Liverpool have it becomes really troublesome when one wing loses it's edge. Shaq isn't an alternative, and Origi is not good enough. City can rotate the front three when they need, both to rest and to adapt to opponents. Liverpool will need at least one quality addition.

Not bad analysis. You've taken some stick on here but hung around. Seems to be a fairly popular opinion that Liverpool will struggle to repeat last season's points total. Certainly need more midfield creativity.

Not bad analysis. You've taken some stick on here but hung around. Seems to be a fairly popular opinion that Liverpool will struggle to repeat last season's points total. Certainly need more midfield creativity.

Most of all Liverpool need someone whom can exploit the gaps that appears all the time, when you switch play from side to side. Right now they have used Firmino dropping, to overload and force teams to over commit (especially on the right side). Then switch play to the other side to create basically a 2 on 1 for the wingback and l/r forward. And Liverpool have become much better at choosing the right situations, and keeping possession high up the pitch. Switch from one side...switch again... And again. But it still becomes quite easy to read. Especially with Henderson as the "6".

I don't think Liverpool will buy anyone though. Keita was beginning to find his stride before the injury and Ox is back.

I wouldn't disagree with that at all. I can't see 'pool not strengthening, but they might not get the players they want, or those players may not quite fit as they hoped. Midfield is their obvious weakness, but even if they more or less fill that and the players are ok, they lack squad depth.
All that said, they finished 1 point behind with a record second place point total, so even close to a repeat could be uncomfortable for us.
Before last season even started I felt Liverpool would probably win the league, but only just (Strangely that didn't change until we lost to Newcastle!) Can't make my mind up about how they will do next season yet, but it's far too early I suppose. I don't think it's about 'they won't get all those decisions' though, for me it's always about the confidence and belief a team shows in how it plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.