Nathan Ake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering our back up CB options I think that we still have enough quality CBs to possibly win the league again this upcoming season. From what I've seen of Ake he's fairly class, proven in the Prem, and still very young. My only concern, however, is when we get to the latter stages of the CL-- does he have the experience and quality we need?

the thing is we may only have 50 - 60m to spend on a defender, so if that's the case we have limited options, hence why we maybe looking at Nathan Ake. We all know City have a budget, so those saying not good enough better get used to it.

Positives - Fast, good in the air, a threat at set pieces, never injured, good on the ball, better than half the price of slab head.

Negatives - left footed, 5'11

Not sure being Left Footed is a negative, it would give us natural cover for Laporte on the left side CB with Stones/Otamendi/Garcia on the right side.

Another positive i have just thought of (not sure if it has been mentioned), he would be classed as home grown (I think) as he spent 3 years at Chelsea before he was 21, so wont take up a foreign spot

I think that he's more comfortable with his right foot than Laporte so it wouldn't be an issue to play him and Laporte at the same time. We played Vinny and Ota and Stones and Ota a lot and they're all right-footed.

I’ve not seen a great deal but he’s looked good when in have

If we can get him at a decent fee I’m sure he’d be a good signing and I’m confident he would improve under Guardiola

Considering our back up CB options I think that we still have enough quality CBs to possibly win the league again this upcoming season. From what I've seen of Ake he's fairly class, proven in the Prem, and still very young. My only concern, however, is when we get to the latter stages of the CL-- does he have the experience and quality we need?

We were struggling at cb last season before Komps came back in to steady the ship. Even then in many games we limped just over the line in seeing out games during that long winning run. The cb options we have are good but based on the impact Komps had on the defence/ team when he came back in, our CB options I don't think are equipped to see out a successful season which may cover 60/70 games.

I think that he's more comfortable with his right foot than Laporte so it wouldn't be an issue to play him and Laporte at the same time. We played Vinny and Ota and Stones and Ota a lot and they're all right-footed.

Right footed cbs often play LCB throughout their careers but you'll very rarely see a left footer playing on the right.

I'd take Ake over Maguire all day long. if indeed there is any truth whatsoever in our reported interest. In him, or a any new defender at all.

As defenders, there isnt much separating the two imho. One is taller. The other is faster. that's about it? Both are home grown.

However as a hollistic decision, surely Ake makes much more sense, he is younger, much cheaper, and thus has plenty of re-sale value and long term prospect. Sure, sometimes you pay top prices for proven top players knowing fine well you'll never recoup any of it, and that is fine. is Maguire really that type of player? not for me (i'd obviously welcome him if the club do sign him, but not exactly jumping for joy at the thought). Ake i wouldn't say is (yet) that either, but he would provide cover and options at a reasonable cost with plenty potential further ahead too. its not a short term fix move.

and if we don't bring anyone in at all, i'll be fine with thst too. imho, we will miss VK more as a personality than a defender, given how little he has been available in the last couple of seasons, and indeed how little he played. imho the last stretch of regular starts was more of a send-off (pep took a similar risk with abidal at barca as a personal gesture) than a footballing decision. worked great as both either way.

Right footed cbs often play LCB throughout their careers but you'll very rarely see a left footer playing on the right.
Well yeah. There are many, many more people who are right footed than left. It's much more likely that any given squad will have multiple right footed center backs that need to be fit into the team than left. There's nothing unique about right footed players being able to play on the left that wouldn't apply in reverse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.