Nathan Ake

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with Ake is his height, losing Kompany leaves a gap in how to manage the likes of Burnley and Brighton, the near post defending was a concern last season, someone with a physical presence is required

Rodri is 6'3" and Mendy is 6'2". Zinchenko was on the near post for half the goals we conceded and it's obviously something he's not great at, but he can learn and Mendy is a much bigger unit anyway.

Also height and physical prescence are not the same thing. Stones is 6'2" and weak as anything in the air. Puyol was shorter than Aké and would bully anyone.

The problem with Ake is his height, losing Kompany leaves a gap in how to manage the likes of Burnley and Brighton, the near post defending was a concern last season, someone with a physical presence is required
I was only concerned about near post defending for about 2 minutes in the last game of the season, overall we were more vulnerable to quick transitions and counter attacks. From what I've read he seems to be extremely quick and good on the ball so IMO is a much better fit than Maguire. Besides playing regularly for Bournemouth he'll have much more experience of aerial bombardment than we have in the last 2 seasons.

I was only concerned about near post defending for about 2 minutes in the last game of the season, overall we were more vulnerable to quick transitions and counter attacks. From what I've read he seems to be extremely quick and good on the ball so IMO is a much better fit than Maguire. Besides playing regularly for Bournemouth he'll have much more experience of aerial bombardment than we have in the last 2 seasons.
Not saying I don't like him though Pep referenced it near the end of the season where he said he prays at set pieces and corners, don't forget Lorente goal eventually cost us in Europe

Much better option than cowhead, and I think under peps guidance could really improve. Has the speed to get himself out of trouble and can pass a ball. Ten times better value.

If we can't beat the likes of Burnley next season without hugely physical player then we have far deeper problems.

Beat me to it

That's easy to say now, but when it's deep into the Christmas slog and there's injuries, or it's mid-April and you've got 2 CL KO games and a cup semi-final in the same fortnight, being vulnerable at set pieces to a side like Burnley is a massive pain in the arse. Those are the games you need to win in the first hour and get out of the way, but all it takes is that 1 goal and a routine win becomes a massive fight, whether it's 0-0 or even 1-0,2-0 to City it puts them back in the game.

I also thinkhaving a reputation for being weak at set-pieces gives these teams a massive confidence boost. They genuinely think that if they can get a few corners they have a chance.

Plus, 25% of all our goals conceded last year in the league were from corners so it's the most obvious place to target improving.

I just don't think Aké is going to undermine that, for a few reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.