Harry Maguire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad about us not getting Maguire, but the idea we try for four competitions with Stones, Otamendi, Laporte and Garcia is just a risk that doesn't need taking.

Garcia isn't ready, Otamendi is a player I like but is capable of absolutely losing his cool in the biggest moments, and then you have Stones who was only trusted for one of the run in games last season.

Laporte is brilliant, but we need a proper partner for him.

I don't think Stones omission was anything to do with trust. Something happened with his injury and personal life, that I believe
Pep thought he was better off not playing. I believe if Pep doesn't trust a player then he won't be in the squad.

Back on topic. I'm not bothered either way about Maguire. I'm like that with all transfers.
If they turn up, then fine and if they don't, we still have a great squad capable of another
fantastic season.

I think it's unlikely at £75m plus that Man City would be in the market for Maguire, and yet if we don't, why haven't City moved for an alternative? Are we even in for a central defender? I don't know. Pre-season is upon us now, so I have my doubts as to whether MCFC are in for a central defender. It would be unlike City to leave a position until late in the window. There is a thought that City want Maguire, and Ake is the back-up. If that's true, then that would suggest City are still in for Maguire. Who knows

The way we operate is to identify key areas for strengthening - but there is a time scale associated with priorities and the squad restrictions to deal with. You have to be thin in some areas as that is the nature of the limitation on squad size.
We look at the squad composition very carefully, English players sit on a different list so you might go for an English player in one position where you wouldn't or can't use a foreign spot or the timing is wrong i.e. you know one player will leave next summer so you can wait or you have to wait.
We have freed up 1 foreign spot this summer with Vinny and used it on Rodri. The biggest priority area was CDM and it's been addressed.
It is not automatic that 1 type of player goes and we bring in like for like - the full dynamic comes into play. For Maguire and Ake the fact they qualify as Home Grown and Delph might fancy a move brings them into contention but if the prices go too high then we move on.

It's a good call for City to withdraw from this one. I actually think Maguire is a brilliant player but we have a long-term plan and can't afford to damage our team spirit by paying over the odds for anyone. Good luck to Maguire, especially if he stays at Leicester. He would do a great job for the Rags but it would not be the right move for him at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.