Var debate 2019/20

The technology isn't good enough to judge close offside's, fact.

25 fps, isn't good enough for gaming never mind judging top level football.

Any player running at just half the speed of a top sprinter, will cover 5M per second. 5M divided by 25 fps = 20 cm or 8" per frame.

There is so much room for error, incompetence/corruption that it's staggering.

Last edited:
Why do they list possession and control with a forward slash ? They go on to write hand/arm where the slash denotes two completely different things which is the normal use of the forward slash (to denote two or more alternatives). Why not just write possession OR control? As I said earlier, if possession refers only to the player themselves, why did the goal get chalked off?

Don’t know mate.

You could also argue we were ‘in possession’ before the ball hits Laporte as we’d just taken a corner.

The ball hitting him didn’t ‘give’ us possession so I’m not sure why it even matters in the context of the new rule?

Have you got an ultra edge or a heat map showing 100 per cent the ball touched his arm ! Scientific proof ?

Not disputing the shit rule , disputing the evidence ! Scientific proof not we think it hit his arm !!

That’s the whole issue for me
Its the shit ruling that we were all made aware of before a ball was even kicked this season.A ball hits the arm resulting in a goal being scored then it will be wiped off.
Not too difficult to understand.
We can whinge all we like about it but for the time being its here to stay ... and I ain`t happy about it but like the majority of fans we`ll just have to get used to it.
Change the fucking ridiculous handball rule,back to what it was.We`ve had it for decades and it worked well.Yes there are times it was fucked up but multiply it by the number of games played in a season in the PL and there wern`t too many fuck ups.

Don’t know mate.

You could also argue we were ‘in possession’ before the ball hits Laporte as we’d just taken a corner.

The ball hitting him didn’t ‘give’ us possession so I’m not sure why it even matters in the context of the new rule?
That probably just muddies the waters even more tbh. At the end of the day the handball rule is a load of shite and so is the current use of VAR for our games

Have you got an ultra edge or a heat map showing 100 per cent the ball touched his arm ! Scientific proof ?

Not disputing the shit rule , disputing the evidence ! Scientific proof not we think it hit his arm !!

That’s the whole issue for me
As I`ve said to other posters have a look at the photo taken behind the goal and is on the back pages of the Sunday Mirror where it clearly shows the ball hitting Erics hand.
If it was that cut and dry that it didn`t, then you need to look back on this thread from the overwhelming majority who saw differently than you and one or two more.
Its not VAR that was incorrect ... its the fucking new stupid ruling and will cause more problems than the FA and PL ever thought would do and they need to revert back to the old ruling ... quickly.

Right, anyone watching The Ashes will notice that their equivalent of VAR has to give a running commentary to justify his decision - broadcast on TV and in the ground I think. Same in both rugby codes. In the Laporte case, the VAR ref would have to say 'The defender is clearly grabbing Laporte's arm, a clear foul, causing Laporte's arm to be in the line of travel of the ball. A penalty would normally be awarded for the foul on Laporte, but the team scored anyway. The goal is good. Michael, your original decision is correct and stands.'
This gives a level of transparency and accountability that is currently lacking from the football version.

People will still make mistakes, and fans will still disagree with each other but it would be a big step forward from where we are today.

Football has always been changing and evolving, the rules, the equipment, the money, the matchday experience and even the fans/supporters.....nothing really stays the same apart from our love of the game and our club. The new rules this season and VAR wont stop us winning the title for 3rd time. We are CITY.

I am just glad we are not in the position of Bury or Bolton......those fans would love to be talking about VAR rtaher than their clubs extinction!
Yes good points - but think of it this way - VAR was introduced mainly because modern tv coverage was giving those watching on tv/in the pub etc a perfect action replay of every contentious moment during the game - something the fans in the stadium and crucially the officials on the field didn’t have - so poor decisions were highlighted for the tv audience - and like it or not the tv audiences are now more important than the match going fans - so surely it’s only right that the officials have the same view as those watching on tv ? But having said that I think it would be more effective and popular if it was used like in rugby - where if the officials are not sure about something they can review it using VAR - looking at it yesterday Oliver was constantly touching his ear - as if to say “the guys upstairs are refereeing this game”. But to me the most ridiculous change of all is the handball rule - how the hell can there be a different rule for an attacker and defender - might as well have a rule that says “if the goalkeeper spits in the referees face it’s a booking but if the centre forward does the same thing then it’s a red card £50,000 fine and a ten game ban

Its the shit ruling that we were all made aware of before a ball was even kicked this season.A ball hits the arm resulting in a goal being scored then it will be wiped off.
Not too difficult to understand.
We can whinge all we like about it but for the time being its here to stay ... and I ain`t happy about it but like the majority of fans we`ll just have to get used to it.
Change the fucking ridiculous handball rule,back to what it was.We`ve had it for decades and it worked well.Yes there are times it was fucked up but multiply it by the number of games played in a season in the PL and there wern`t too many fuck ups.

I’m fully aware of that and not disputing the rule etc ! What I’m saying is without scientific evidence of heat map, ultra edge , Hawkeye etc , it’s just open to manipulation and interpretation , it’s nit being based on facts like goal line technology , no one has an issue with it because it’s a fact !

As I`ve said to other posters have a look at the photo taken behind the goal and is on the back pages of the Sunday Mirror where it clearly shows the ball hitting Erics hand.
If it was that cut and dry that it didn`t, then you need to look back on this thread from the overwhelming majority who saw differently than you and one or two more.
Its not VAR that was incorrect ... its the fucking new stupid ruling and will cause more problems than the FA and PL ever thought would do and they need to revert back to the old ruling ... quickly.

Again fair enough but a picture can not 100 per cent provide show that it 100 per cent hit his hand! A heat map or Hawkeye may well have done this and there would be no need for this argument !

That’s where I’m coming from with it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.