Var debate 2019/20

Because ..... numbers

Is it being suggested that a player should only be ruled offside if VAR shows him to be more than 20cm or 7.5 inches offside?

Imagine we’re playing united and they have a corner. The ball richochets about in the box before landing at the feet of Phil Jones, standing like a statue a couple of yards out. He turns it into the net, the Lino raises their flag, but VAR indicates that he was only 7 inches offside so the “goal” is awarded. Imagine our reaction.

I think there probably does need to be a tolerance in VAR offsides but no more than 4 or 5 cms. If we can’t live with that we should scrap VAR and leave it to the linos. After all this analysis has proved that for decades they’ve being getting dogs abuse over offside decisions when they might have been right all along!

But if we did scrap VAR would we be more accepting of decisions? Now that we know that the the officials are probably better than we’ve given them credit for, would we be more accepting of offside decisions if the cameras show the Lino was wrong by 4 or 5 inches ? Somehow I doubt it. For me the question really should be will VAR get significantly more decisions right than wrong? There needs to be a very clear advantage from using VAR otherwise its not worth the delays it causes. But if VAR is significantly better then human beings then we should just accept that it’s not going to be 100% accurate.

Does it worry anyone else that the head of VAR has reffed just 132 games at the top level? What qualifies him for his position?

Paul, aka Florida Blue - Can I make a suggestion? Perhaps you would like to respond to Tommy at the Premier League and ask him to let you have a copy of or link to the Laws of the Game that he has mentioned and which their officials follow when refereeing our matches. We should all know. The Rules must be publicly available. It is the letter of the Law 12 which must be applied.

You are acting perfectly reasonably and correctly in pursuing this.

There is no point in asking them which laws they are applying - they will obviously say all of them. He'll just link to the pdf version.

What is the key point is what the law covers. Which phrase of the law relates to what happened, and what is the interpretation of 'gains control/possession' - is it just for the player whose arm is hit, or does the possession part relate to anyone on his team? Is there a guideline on what constitutes a GSO?

Oh, and thank him for replying! If the question is for clarification, Tommy probably can't tell us, but it may get passed on to someone who can, if asked. Maybe explain that the spectators had no idea, and offer some constructive feedback about how the VAR process could be improved as well.

Is it being suggested that a player should only be ruled offside if VAR shows him to be more than 20cm or 7.5 inches offside?

Imagine we’re playing united and they have a corner. The ball richochets about in the box before landing at the feet of Phil Jones, standing like a statue a couple of yards out. He turns it into the net, the Lino raises their flag, but VAR indicates that he was only 7 inches offside so the “goal” is awarded. Imagine our reaction.

I think there probably does need to be a tolerance in VAR offsides but no more than 4 or 5 cms. If we can’t live with that we should scrap VAR and leave it to the linos. After all this analysis has proved that for decades they’ve being getting dogs abuse over offside decisions when they might have been right all along!

But if we did scrap VAR would we be more accepting of decisions? Now that we know that the the officials are probably better than we’ve given them credit for, would we be more accepting of offside decisions if the cameras show the Lino was wrong by 4 or 5 inches ? Somehow I doubt it. For me the question really should be will VAR get significantly more decisions right than wrong? There needs to be a very clear advantage from using VAR otherwise its not worth the delays it causes. But if VAR is significantly better then human beings then we should just accept that it’s not going to be 100% accurate.

This has already been debunked, VAR cameras run at 120 FPS not 50-60 as Sky/ BT cameras so the margin for error is under a few CM.

You know something isn't right when even Duncan the rag Castles is on our side :)

Duncan Castles
@DuncanCastles

This is the new handball law that cost Manchester City a win today. Not entirely convinced it has been correctly applied by the VAR. Did Aymeric Laporte either ‘gain possession’ or ‘control of the ball’? No, the ball bounced straight off him.

Didn’t Laporte create a goal scoring opportunity (albeit accidentally) via the ball hitting his arm?

Duncan Castles
@DuncanCastles

·
Aug 17Doesn’t matter. As the Law is framed Laporte first has to gain possession/control of the ball and THEN create a goal-scoring opportunity to be penalised. As he did not do the former, he should not be penalised under this Law.
@DuncanCastles
·
Aug 17Second week of the Premier League season; second demonstration of the absurdity of the new handball rule. Manchester City comprehensively outplay Tottenham, but lose two points for a foul no one on the pitch saw.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.