Var debate 2019/20

Pretty much my take on it and I will continue celebrating every goal as normal.
I'd hate to think how many goals I've celebrated only not to have looked or seen the linesman's flag ruling it out. The up and then down feeling is normal. This is just the same but obviously the delay is longer. I don't doubt that side of it will get better and better and they process it far quicker.

The other side of this is I will still feel as bad every time the opposition score and in that moment I won't expect VAR to overrule. It will be great when they do and particularly against those ***** from down the East Lancs. Fantastic scenes.
VAR is different. EVERY goal is scrutinised, whereas goals were only scrutinised if there was something obvious which was spotted.

With this in mind, I didn't celebrate the other 3 goals after the Jesus effort was ruled offside. That's a shit way to watch City in my book. I'm sure VAR will be refined to take this into consideration.

0.033 to 0.04 of a second is the margin of error, due to the technology of the TV camera frame rate whether it’s 25-30 frames per second. As I said yesterday as long as we predetermine the freeze frame selection then that’s the maximum margin of error.

All this bollocks about 5-10cm or 5/10% or what body parts should and shouldn’t be used is all absolute bullshit.

You can’t get this 100% with current technology so 0.033 to 0.04 of a second is the closest you’ll get, explain it and be transparent from the outset that there’s a margin of error rather than telling everybody it’s infallible then everyone would accept it for what it is.
Also is that frame showing the offside perfectly coordinated with the exact moment the pass left David Silva's foot?
Are there any other angles to look at the offside?
When does an arm end and a shoulder begin?

Adding a line of tolerance would be exactly the same in my opinion. It just moves the “offside line” from in line with the defenders toe to a couple of inches away from the defenders toe.
No matter where you draw a line, you are still either onside or offside.

The whole concept of var worries me, goal line technology worked as its defined and clear and its an absolute end to play.
Retrospective reviews of fouls for red cards missed by referees, sure - help them out for they can’t see everything.
But when its a linesman’s job to run the line and officiate the line, let him do it. Train him up if hes shit. Don’t microanalyse every decision he makes and flag an error when even when you freeze the screen you can’t definitively say if its offthside or not.

It ruins the spectacle. Before, it was a quick glance at the lino, did he give it? Nope, goal!
Now, lets cheer the possible goal, wait 90 seconds and then be told whether we’re allowed to celebrate
again.
This is one of those arguments that's sounds emotionally good. But logically irrational.

1. Why should read get help but not Assistant Refs? No reason for it.

2. The argument you've proffered for the linesman " train him up" is equally valid for a Ref "train him up" and take away all technology. It's a silly argument. Goaline technology works exactly like VAR, in that it reduces drastically the chances of major errors.

The fact that your brain doesn't catch some errors and misidentifies other non-errors as errors is besides the point. And the Spectacle isnt ruined. It's slightly delayed.

You'd get used to it. And if you don't, the generation after you will. Many forget there was a generation who watched football without offsides. Then the rule was added.

Changed the enjoyment, but they got used to it and then we showed up and thought it was great. If you can't get around to loving it as is. Not to worry, the generation after you will love it as is.

The Spectacle just got better. Believe it!!!

Also is that frame showing the offside perfectly coordinated with the exact moment the pass left David Silva's foot?
There is still the possibility of error, but the point here is that it's drastically reduced. It's almost at Zero. Which is 1000% better than whatever it was last season.

It's fallacious to quibble over the 'hypothetical possibility" of a missed millimeter, when the system it replaced used to miss a yard.

Pretty much my take on it and I will continue celebrating every goal as normal.
I'd hate to think how many goals I've celebrated only not to have looked or seen the linesman's flag ruling it out. The up and then down feeling is normal. This is just the same but obviously the delay is longer. I don't doubt that side of it will get better and better and they process it far quicker.

The other side of this is I will still feel as bad every time the opposition score and in that moment I won't expect VAR to overrule. It will be great when they do and particularly against those ***** from down the East Lancs. Fantastic scenes.

But a linesman's flag is instant. I instinctively always look at the linesman after every goal and can then celebrate straight away. On Saturday, the players and fans had all celebrated wildly. Only when lining up to take the kick off did the VAR Checking Goal come up on the screen. Big difference...

0.033 to 0.04 of a second is the margin of error, due to the technology of the TV camera frame rate whether it’s 25-30 frames per second. As I said yesterday as long as we predetermine the freeze frame selection then that’s the maximum margin of error.

All this bollocks about 5-10cm or 5/10% or what body parts should and shouldn’t be used is all absolute bullshit.

You can’t get this 100% with current technology so 0.033 to 0.04 of a second is the closest you’ll get, explain it and be transparent from the outset that there’s a margin of error rather than telling everybody it’s infallible then everyone would accept it for what it is.
It’s broadcast at 50 FPS, not 25 or 30.

Fifa rules say when the player touches or plays the ball, nothing about it leaving a players foot. That’s a nothing thing that appears to be wrong and different to what we’re always told.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.