******Cricket Thread******

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward I think we need to replace Root as captain. He's a quality batsman but he's not a good captain. This winter will be tough as away to New Zealand and South Africa.

The question is who do you replace him with?

Minimum requirement should be to save the follow on, but frankly if Stokes doesn't perform some more heroics then I am not optimistic.

Batting averages of the players who are not out in out first innings:-
  • Stokes - 83.50
  • Bairstow - 27.60
  • Buttler - 9.16
  • Acher - 11.33
  • Broad - 11.00
  • Leach - 8.00
We need another 98 runs to avoid the follow on, if Stokes goes early the average (67.09) of the remaining 5 players will just not do it.

There are six full sessions to go, if we bat 1.5 of them today and save the follow on then the Aussies will probably bat for one session giving us 3.5 to save the match on a wearing pitch.

How Buttler has retained his place is a complete mystery to me, he is a one day player and even then he is hit and miss.

The Ashes are, I believe, gone. Australia will now beat us in this match and, just because they like doing it, beat us in the final one. That's what I believe. It's not throwing in the towel, it's just a sober assessment of the difference between the two teams. And this isn't even a vintage Aussie team. Far, far from it.
The English batsmen, especially, need to take a good long look in the mirror, and ask themselves some hard questions. Roy has been useless in this series, Denly's hardly better. But Root also needs to ask himself some questions. Only two or three years back I distinctly remember that he was being talked about in hushed tones in the media, as potentially one of the great openers (in the company of Kohli, Smith, etc.) Not even close. He is a man who sometimes gets useful 50s, which he can't convert into 100s. Burns has just about delivered.
We constantly rely on the get-out-of-jail of the middle order batsmen. They can't do it every time. Stokes performed heroics to virtually win Headingley single handed.
England have not once got to 400 in this series. In a proper five-day batting side, 400 should be considered as pretty good, no more. Most of the time, they haven't even made it to 300. So they're constantly putting themselves in difficulty, because they're facing a batsman who is in scorching form and who, alone, will put 100 (and beyond) metronomically on the board.
England came into this series as World Champions. They still are. In the one-day game, which they're good at. Well, that's nice.

The main difference is Smith and the Consistent bowling by all the Aussie bowlers! We have Broad and thats it who bowls consistent!

Looking forward I think we need to replace Root as captain. He's a quality batsman but he's not a good captain. This winter will be tough as away to New Zealand and South Africa.

The question is who do you replace him with?

Always find it Weird that when captaincy comes up Broad never gets a mention! He be my choice followed by Buttler.

I didn’t realise quite how poorly Buttler has performed.

Assuming we fail to regain the Ashes, Root should step down as captain and Roy, Denly & Buttler to be discarded.

I’d like to see England prioritise test cricket and manage Stokes and Archer’s workload better.

Pope, Sibley/Crawley and Foakes should feature in our next test series in New Zealand.

Minimum requirement should be to save the follow on, but frankly if Stokes doesn't perform some more heroics then I am not optimistic.

Batting averages of the players who are not out in out first innings:-
  • Stokes - 83.50
  • Bairstow - 27.60
  • Buttler - 9.16
  • Acher - 11.33
  • Broad - 11.00
  • Leach - 8.00
We need another 98 runs to avoid the follow on, if Stokes goes early the average (67.09) of the remaining 5 players will just not do it.

There are six full sessions to go, if we bat 1.5 of them today and save the follow on then the Aussies will probably bat for one session giving us 3.5 to save the match on a wearing pitch.

How Buttler has retained his place is a complete mystery to me, he is a one day player and even then he is hit and miss.

Yep - just saving the follow-on doesn’t save the match. We need to bat most of today and get within 100 runs of their score at least to give us a realistic chance of saving this test. I just can’t see us scoring 400+ though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.