Rugby League thread

What an end to the regular season next week is going to be!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/super-league/table
Team Pts
1 St Helens 50
2 Wigan 34
3 Warrington 32
4 Salford 32
5 Castleford 30
6 Hull FC 30
7 Catalans 26
8 Leeds 22
9 Wakefield 20
10 Hudd'sfield 20
11 Hull KR 20
12 London 20

There are four teams level on 20 points at the bottom, any of which can be relegated. I think the running order of games has been changed so that all the relegation games are being played at the same time on Friday night.

Fixtures:
Wakefield v London (Sky)
Huddersfield v Catalans
Salford v Hull KR.

- If London beat Wakey and Salford beat HKR, HKR are down
- If London beat Wakey and HKR beat Salford and Catalans beat Hudds, Hudds go down
- If London beat Wakey and Hudds beat Catalans and HKR beat Salford, Wakey go down.

Meanwhile up in the play-off spots, the final 5th placed spot is between Castleford and Hull.

Fixtures:
Wigan v Cas
St Helens v Hull.

- If Cas match or better Hull’s result they finish 5th.
- If Cas lose and Hull win they finish 5th.

Then Wigan, Warrington and Salford could finish in any order in 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Fixtures:
Wigan v Cas
Leeds v Wire
Salford v HKR.

So every game next week has something riding on it!

London were expected to win around three games this season and be easily relegated. Salford were expected to be around the bottom three places. Both have had exceptionally good seasons, both with young British coaches.

The four North West teams are the top four!

Last edited by a moderator:
Spare a thought for Swinton who in addition to not having a home these many years won't even have their name now - being changed to "Manchester." The end for a proud club.

Spare a thought for Swinton who in addition to not having a home these many years won't even have their name now - being changed to "Manchester." The end for a proud club.
It’s that or die to be honest.

They are nomads anyway, not played in Swinton for years.

Moving to Bury could see them become a SL team in the future.

Two stalwarts of the Super League era are playing their final games for Leeds Rhinos tomorrow night, Jamie Jones Buchannon and Carl Ablet. They have both won the Super League numerous times and each has 2 Challenge Cup winners medals. They on the fringes of the England Team for a few years. Jamie and Carl should get a great send off at Headingley tomorrow night.

Leeds just about escapes the relegation dog fight. I reckon if Hull KR went down they would bounce back next season but I wouldn’t be as confident if London or Hudders were relegated.

Off to Salford rugby tomo night. Only been to one rugby league game in my life. Looking forward to it.

Off to Salford rugby tomo night. Only been to one rugby league game in my life. Looking forward to it.

Have a good night in Irlam mate. Put your ear muffs on at the end of the game when Salford like to play one or two tunes associated with the rags.

Last edited:
It’s that or die to be honest.

They are nomads anyway, not played in Swinton for years.

Moving to Bury could see them become a SL team in the future.
They went to Bury for a while. Were supposed to be finding a ground back in Swinton, didn't happen. So they are done, R.I.P.
(Oh, and bugger Salford.)

That's a shame, the only RL game I've ever attended was at Station Rd, when they knocked Wigan out of the Challenge Cup in 1971 - seemed to be a bit of dodgy refereeing going on as Wigan had two tries controversially disallowed for "not grounding".

My father lived for a couple of years in Clifton as a kid and always had a soft spot for Swinton. He'd take me up there occasionally when I was in my early to md teens. I remember they got into the top flight one year and beat Wigan 8-0, which was an enormous shock at the time even if Wigan weren't quite as mighty then as they became a bit later. This would have been about 1985, I'd guess.

Yes, if they become Manchester Lions, it will in effect be a different club IMO. It's one thing to share at whatever ground you can get while you try to work out how to get back to the Swinton/Pendlebury area. But this smacks to me of a move to try to attract a bit of money into a Manchester-branded club with a view to cracking the Super League and making a few quid. (As an aside, I know they're staying at Sale next season but wonder whether they might eventually end up playing at the Etihad Campus).

Anyway, I seem to be some kind of jinx, as the other side I used to follow when I was growing up were Bradford Northern (as they were then) - my grandfather used to live in Bradford. We'd occasionally pop over the M62 and go up to Odsal on a Sunday. They've completely collapsed in recent years and have just announced a ground share at Dewsbury, which I find a very odd move indeed.

I used to go to the willows fairly regularly between 1976- 84 ,I got into it when I started work and the old guy next to me was a ST holder at Salford . He and a great many other Salford fans hated United calling them " the sham red devils" as Matt Busby had knicked the rugby clubs nickname . Have only been to the new stadium at Barton twice and tbh it's a bit soulless and an absolute nightmare to get to/from by public transport . Disappointed to hear that they play "rags" tunes over the PA , until quite recently they had away kits for several seasons incorporating sky blue , an obvious caveat to the many city fans who follow them .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.