Drinking whiskey in the afternoon

I’m not saying they aren’t good, but they aren’t in the same league as our best. My commiserations for you not being able to see that. It’s like comparing the EL to to CL, a lot of good teams in the EL, but all the best are in the CL.
In fairness @Magicpole it really depends on the price range you want to go into.
I'd say what Alex listed are quite tasteful affordable whiskeys.
Jameson 18 year old black label is beautiful but it's over €20 a shot here. A bottle would cost €191.
The Midleton very rare (master blender) I have costs around €167 or €180 with the presentation case.

An ordinary Jameson in the pub would only cost about €7 similar with Black Bush I think, whereas you can get a decent caskmate for about €10 or a really nice Teelings around €11.

So comparing like with like, I would take a Jameson over a Johnny Walker any day, even a Paddy (piss) over a Bells if given the choice. It's subjective and a matter of taste I suppose.

1627.jpg

This is not your bog standard Redbreast. It would cost you over €200 but the more affordable 10 or 12 year olds are fine whiskies.

In fairness @Magicpole it really depends on the price range you want to go into.
I'd say what Alex listed are quite tasteful affordable whiskeys.
Jameson 18 year old black label is beautiful but it's over €20 a shot here. A bottle would cost €191.
The Midleton very rare (master blender) I have costs around €167 or €180 with the presentation case.

An ordinary Jameson in the pub would only cost about €7 similar with Black Bush I think, whereas you can get a decent caskmate for about €10 or a really nice Teelings around €11.

So comparing like with like, I would take a Jameson over a Johnny Walker any day, even a Paddy (piss) over a Bells if given the choice. It's subjective and a matter of taste I suppose.

1627.jpg

This is not your bog standard Redbreast. It would cost you over €200 but the more affordable 10 or 12 year olds are fine whiskies.

I have great respect for the Irish stuff and I take your point about value for money on certain brands. It is about your own taste and we all have our favourites.

I’m not saying they aren’t good, but they aren’t in the same league as our best. My commiserations for you not being able to see that. It’s like comparing the EL to to CL, a lot of good teams in the EL, but all the best are in the CL.

thats funny, cos you're wrong :-)

So I was talking about Malts not blended (not to my taste). There are five different regions producing malt whisky, each region has its own character: lowland, highland, speyside, cambeltown and islay. My preference is for speyside whisky which includes well known distillieries like Balvennie, Glenrothes, Abelour, Cardhu, Linkwood, Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Glenfarclas. Each of these distilleries produce whisky of different age and commonly matured in different types of oak casks which helps produce the final taste. I find speyside whisky generally smooth and with a touch (a few drops) of water is truly wonderful. of the other Regions, I like Oban (which is a highland malt)- I have a couple of cask strength bottles which I bought a few years ago. Glenkinchie which is a Lowland distilliary just up the road from us and Auchentoshan is very good too (another lowland). I did like Islay whiky when I was younger but went off it after a session with a couple of bottles of Lagavulin on a fishing trip. The very smell of it now makes me feel sick.

Start with a Balvennie mate and see what you think.
I like Irish Whiskey occasionally and enjoy but imo it doesnt really stand up to 'the real thing'.
All a matter of taste I suppose. I've only recently tasted decent scotch through a Christmas present.
The bog standard stuff doesn't appeal as much as the Irish bog standard equivalents.
I do remember having a really fine old Cardhu way back, in my Brother-in-laws in Suffolk.
He actually had some decent whiskies over the years, come to think of it, although he is not a whisky drinker really.
Seem to remember a Glenmorangie at one stage. That was good. When I was younger though I probably would have spoilt it with coke.

My favourite whiskies are single malt - not blended at all. A good example is a Balvennie doublewood 17 year old which has been matured in both whisky oak and sherry oak barrels. When you reference Johnny Walker, I think that is a blend of different malt whiskies - not a single malt. To make it even more confusing, the likes of Grouse and Bells is referred to as a blended whisky meaning a blend of grain and single malt whisky.

Add to the confusion. Single Pot whiskeys are a mixture of malted and unmalted barley.
An Irish solution to British laws taxing Malted barley. It was happened upon by accident I believe.

I’m not. We are renowned for being the best. There of course are some misguided souls who don’t agree. But, I once met a guy who tried to convince me Jesus was real and wanted to have a personal relationship with me. Its on that level of absurdity. :)
Was he drunk?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.