Drinking whiskey in the afternoon

I have great respect for the Irish stuff and I take your point about value for money on certain brands. It is about your own taste and we all have our favourites.
Whiskey or Whisky is for the sophisticated palates like ours.
Can't be doing with the current gin phenomenon. You can produce that in a bath in a matter of weeks.
Whiskey takes time to triple distill and age.

Currently have a bottle of Bunnahabhain 12 opened

I've just bought this off Amazon £36, absolute bargain for a 46.3% bottling and as you say completely different from most other Islays, nice blend of sweet and smoke without being overly intrusive in either. I did open it for the Norwich game though which soured the taste slightly

Irish whisky hahahhahahahahahaha
Some of it’s delicious. Just got back from holiday with a bottle of Midleton Very Rare, I’ve had 3 of these in the past and although expensive worth every penny. All countries (distillery’s) produce bog standard whiskey but also some fantastic stuff as well.

In fairness @Magicpole it really depends on the price range you want to go into.
I'd say what Alex listed are quite tasteful affordable whiskeys.
Jameson 18 year old black label is beautiful but it's over €20 a shot here. A bottle would cost €191.
The Midleton very rare (master blender) I have costs around €167 or €180 with the presentation case.

An ordinary Jameson in the pub would only cost about €7 similar with Black Bush I think, whereas you can get a decent caskmate for about €10 or a really nice Teelings around €11.

So comparing like with like, I would take a Jameson over a Johnny Walker any day, even a Paddy (piss) over a Bells if given the choice. It's subjective and a matter of taste I suppose.

1627.jpg

This is not your bog standard Redbreast. It would cost you over €200 but the more affordable 10 or 12 year olds are fine whiskies.
Sorry I hadn’t clocked this before posting. The Midleton costs £120 in duty free at Manchester Airport which, yes, is expensive but still a bargain. I sometimes go on Scotch whiskey Auctions and depending on the year Midleton whisky can fetch £700 upwards. My other 3 bottles aren’t worth a can of cold piss as there’re nearly empty.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.