Bernardo Silva tweet controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
watched the advert for the chocolate posted earlier in thread and was genuinely shocked, the slavery connotations were there for all to see, it seemed quite an old advert so assume nothing like that is around to see these days. the fact that they still use this character to promote the product should be challenged by those who find bernardo's tweet offensive.

bernardo was totally wrong to air the comparison publically and if education is bernardo's path then damn right the company who promote this character should be educated as well

Without being patronising... the Iberian peninsula does sometimes lag behind on the race agenda but we are hardly in a great place to talk - our leading brand of marmalade had some pretty questionable imagery until quite recently - and I recall being given a book at School - called Little Black Sam** - which looking back is breathtakingly bad.... given it was a mixed race school.

Without being patronising... the Iberian peninsula does sometimes lag behind on the race agenda but we are hardly in a great place to talk - our leading brand of marmalade had some pretty questionable imagery until quite recently - and I recall being given a book at School - called Little Black Sam** - which looking back is breathtakingly bad.... given it was a mixed race school.

just because they lag behind doesn't make it ok, i agree we haven't been angels in the past as robertson's jam lays testament to, but that doesn't mean we can't say anything

Sorry, I missed this as I was responding to quite a lot! I'm unsure if you've changed your mind since or not so I won't answer this as a direct response to you, but in general; Bernie is NOT in Portugal.

The fact that an individual Black friend, with whom he shares multiple jokes with is unoffended, is different than sharing the same joke to the wider audience.

Ask yourself if the majority of African Americans, with their history, would find it funny? Would the majority of native Africans find it funny? Do the majority of Black Britons find it funny?

The fact that there a number of White people on this board (and I sincerely hope it isn't a snap poll of the country) find this 'acceptable' is disturbing to me.

I said this earlier, but it conveniently got ignored:

" 'Perspective' is not comparing a good mate to a character grounded in racist depiction.

Assuming you have any friends that are Black (not a given), how many would laugh along with you should you compare them to a 'spear chucking' cartoon character, publicly?

You would have to be extremely jovial to laugh along or extremely unaware of the history of racial characters along the wider viewpoint.

Actually, how many cartoon characters (outside 'Capt Caveman' who was actually a 'superhero') do you know that has been depicted as savages...?

This'll be interesting..."

These are the connotations, so keep your shit private.
I'm not going to answer you if you keep shouting,i can read

Hmmm,am I being thick in thinking the pic showing three different skin types,if for instance Mendy sent the white one to Bernardo comparing it him would that then be deemed racist in the same way as Bernardo’s to Mendy ?

to my mind its not that mendy and the cartoon character look alike(debatable to me in any case) its more about the character itself and what it depicts(just watch the tv advert)

is being rich and can defend yourself with your money / over being poor helpless and having to take the rich man views even if you don't like it is (RIGHT) and a way of life

look racist is wrong but its right across the board not just being a different colour its from being different full stop, all walks of life are being judged and called for being themselves, other people will see the funny side to something and laugh because somebody looks different and then post something on social media that is also racist

we have to find away to laugh and not feel guilty because somebody else feel its upsetting to them ?? if its a joke between 2 people or friends then that's there business, if its racist then yes throw the book at them, but please stop looking or listening to the media who are doing a witch hunt and turning it into something that clearly not there, because they have to defend the people who pay there wages and told to say things that are aimed for personal reasons and trying to upset somebody or something because they know they have a powerful tool and can make things look different just by saying so

bernardo silva, pep guardiola, manchester city football club, are not racist full stop ? are skysports trying to say otherwise YES, was it a target to use a football match to use there views and try to unsettle people YES, do i feel sick about what they are saying YES can manchester city defend themselves NO, sky have made it clear that manchester city pep and silva are racist and use there prime time slot on tv to out them

i want manchester city to come out fighting and don't let this go take them to court ?? because if we just brush it under the carpet they have us by the balls. they will just keep on doing this sort of thing knowing we are weak and not willing to stand up and take them on, little dirty ticks are fine but this crossed the line last night, am fighting mad they they are calling my club and player and manager a racist ?? truly shocking and anybody that says things like that on prime time tv knowing clearly what they are doing need stopping

MANCHESTER CITY FOOTBALL ARE NOT RACIST

Andy Fucking Hinchcliffe. What a sanctimonious cock ! In all his years of playing he’d never heard or seen anything so shocking as Bernardo silva tweet !

Been saying for a while now he’s taken over where Quinn left off. The dickhead !!

I didn't watch the after match. Are you quoting what he said or paraphrasing?

If that's what he said, fuck me what an absolute bellend.

just because they lag behind doesn't make it ok, i agree we haven't been angels in the past as robertson's jam lays testament to, but that doesn't mean we can't say anything

Sorry, I wasn’t saying it was right, I was just making the point that some societies lag behind slightly and still have some distasteful imagery - similar to what we saw here 20 years ago. I think there’s a genuine issue - which is not easy to resolve where cartoons / caricatures depict different races - it’s very easy to stereotype and create offence. Someone mentioned Tintin earlier - and that’s a good example. Herge depicted lots of different races in those books - Tintin in the Congo caused (and causes) huge offence but many of the other books stereotype other races just as much... for example the Chinese.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.